Notices

Drinking Money, Where Does It Go Now?

Old 10-27-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Mine went to a new habit - cigarettes. And unfortunately, they are $11 bucks a pack here in Chicago. Gotta quit this nonsense. I'm seeing a lot of parallels. (sorry to rain on the fun - I say this with a smile because I'm almost 16 months sober).
Old 10-27-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I was in dire financial straits when I sobered up this last time,
close to $100,000 in debt and living on the streets.

It changes but for today
from not drinking and not smoking cigs
I spend my money for:

Making 9th step financial amends.
Paying back personal loans.
Saving money for my boy's rehearsal dinner.
Saving for trips to N.O. and Cali.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Mine went to a new habit - cigarettes. And unfortunately, they are $11 bucks a pack here in Chicago. Gotta quit this nonsense. I'm seeing a lot of parallels. (sorry to rain on the fun - I say this with a smile because I'm almost 16 months sober).
Pulling for you!
Old 10-27-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JLC82 View Post
Hi All,

I'm pretty new to this site. I have a crazy kind of question because I just did the unimaginable. The money that I would have spent getting wasted this weekend and probably part of next week just went to Amazon for books on Alcoholism (gasp) $75.00 . If someone would have told me that on my sober date (10-4) I wouldn't have believed them. So.. out of curiosity what healthy ways are you guys finding spending the "drinking funds" on.

Thanks,
Jazz
JLC You are among friends
Old 10-27-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillyknitting View Post
That's easy lol, more clothes, more perfumes, more Swarovski. More chocolate, bliss x

That brought me a smile! Thanks
Old 10-27-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

One way I got myself out of denial was to track ALL of our spending in Quickbooks. After a year or so of history it was and still is so cool to see the extreme reductions in Alcohol expense. I'm just a bit freer now with some nice to haves. Like, say, a new surfboard!
Old 10-27-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
zjw

no idea not even sure how i funded the habit all those years. Man i sure wish i new where the money was theres stuff I'd love to buy but no money!. I ask myself if i spend hundreds a month on booze and smokes how come I still cant afford stuff now that i dont do any of that?

I guess I"m a bit better with my responsiblities. But sure wish i could save a buck or find that money i drank away!.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

With the money saved im buying a Enduro.

Sold my ''Crotch Rocket'' motorcycle after 3...24hr driving prohibitions.

Figured I'd sell it and go to southeast asia since I couldn't ride anymore..anyway - Trip was a complete Gong Show.

I feel more responsible now..

Done with stupidity....I hate you alcohol.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Oh, I am into this subject...

My new found wealth goes on...

-extremely expensive road bicycle parts
-wheel building tools and components
-new sneakers every month
-slim fitting suits
-saved up the deposit for a new apartment in 3 months, and still had money to spare
-just spent 100 dollars on some fancy black curtains
-travelling to bike races
-washing machine
-nice shampoo and skin care stuff for men from Lush

Etc.

I no longer get down to the last penny in my bank each month before payday. No idea how I was managing to spend all that money before.

Wait a minute. Yes I do.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Mine stays in the bank and will be used for lots of travelling I also, was getting down to the last penny each month and it's lovely to be able to relax and not worry about that anymore.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Yeah, it is like the longer I remain sober, the less I even need to think about money.

I am also able to accurately budget for stuff months in advance, safe in the knowledge that I WILL have exactly the amount I aim for, rather than smashing my plans after a few days with a mega-binge 400dollar night out, again.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Very true TD
Old 10-27-2013, 10:02 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

When I quit drinking I started a new hobby--aquariums. Of course if one aquarium is good.... Now I have ten aquariums! So all my booze money goes to keeping my fishies in the lap of luxury. As well as my dogs, rabbit, and mice.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Great post JLC. Congratulations.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:42 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by desertsong View Post
Shopping! I lost over 50 pounds after I quit drinking, so all of my clothes became way too big. It's been fun getting new stuff but I have to be careful that I don't become an alcoholic shopaholic, lol.

I've put on about a stone because since I quit i've actually got an appetite so haven't stopped eating!
Old 10-28-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Once I paid off all my debt and learned to live within my means (no easy feat!!) I drove my first brand new car off the lot. Once that was paid off I paid for IVF as my partner and I were having trouble to conceive....now every spare cent goes on our little miracle baby boy!
Thank you God for the blessings of sobriety! I brought my boy home from hospital on my eighth sobriety birthday!
Old 10-28-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

On my numerous attempts at sobriety earlier on (couple years ago), I found other addictions mainly red bull and rockstar energy drinks (a 4pack cost more than a 6 pack of beer here). Now that I'm months into my new 'permanent' sobriety and a few medical conditions keep me from even drinking energy drinks, I'm spending my 'drinking money' on books, movies, music, apps, video games, and gifts for family.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hmmm, Quite a few new things.

It's also great to buy iTunes songs and remember what I've downloaded and not have played them ad nauseum....meaning, I was often 'over' hearing them, before I'd even realised I'd bought them!

It's also not just the money on alcohol I'm saving, it's expensive takeawa dinners and recovery breakfasts....egg roll in the morning or some fatty bakery item.

Anyway...new sofa, and some household stuff. Savings. I also now sponsor a child's education here, through a charity fund to help single parents.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I went 30 days not drink.(just recently had to start over) in those 30 days i have save 900 dollars towards a trip to california. After my trip i will continue to save towards a new vehicle next year
sometime. It does not seem like i have extra money but Im also paying bills on time and everything.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I drive my sobriety and will soon live in my sobriety.

60k plus....so far.