Notices

I need supporting words

Old 11-09-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need supporting words

Hi, i need some support. I drink wine and don't even get drunk, its just a habit to sip the drink in the evening. But i realize that my body is reacting very bad to alcohol. I started to have a light rash on my chest that stays for couple of days. And also after drinking i have red itchy bumps on my fingers. I think its an allergy and i need to quit alcohol. But i so used to hold a glass in the evening that i don't even know what to do to occupy myself.
I am sure i can do that and my decision is right.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's very possible that you have developed an allergy to alcohol. From what you've written, it doesn't seem like giving it up will be very difficult. There are lots of great things to drink that don't have alcohol.

To play a bit of the Devils Advocate, your post reminds me a bit of my Mother, who said, verbatim, what you stated in your post. She too sipped wine at night, and said she "never got drunk". BUT we knew not to call her past 8pm though, because, while she may not have felt drunk, she sure sounded like she was. She never admitted to having a problem. Today, at 77, she has vascular dementia as a result of too much "sipping". She still knows my name, but it's all slipping away. I wish that I had taken it all more seriously. What a waste.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
CastAwayWolf

Try to go a few nights with no alcohol and see if have any withdrawal symptoms...shakiness, chills, nausea, insomnia, anxiety etc. have you tried to quit before.

You need to decide if you are an alcoholic, it sounds like you may have some of the symptoms but the decision has to be made by you.

Keep posting and reading here, you'll find a lot of compassion and information from others who have been where you are and worse.

Hang in there, you can work through this.

W
Old 11-09-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How much do you drink a night?
Old 11-09-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

About a bottle of wine.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well it seems your drinking too much then. Do you have any physical withdrawal?
Old 11-09-2013, 10:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Lindari, you might want to go a few days without drinking to see whether or not the rash clears up. I completely understand the feeling of not knowing what to do with yourself. I also drank a half to one bottle during the evenings and have very recently given it up. I drink tea, spend a lot of time on SR, read, go to the gym and clean. I'm told that the longer you abstain, the easier it gets. Good luck!
Old 11-09-2013, 11:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

First off have you seen a physician about your rash?

Second you are drinking somewhere between 5 and 6 glasses of wine a night or more?

What time interval?

As always its not about what you drink, how often you drink or even how much its about the effect it has on you.

I have known people who went into blackouts after the FIRST drink
Old 11-10-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the replies. I cant tell you the interval of my drinking. It can vary . But today is my first sober day. I feel ok, just tired and i stayed at home all day cleaning and doing laundry.
Its only 6 pm, but i did so much i feel like its almost midnight.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You've made a smart decision to stop drinking. If you experience bad withdrawals please see a doctor or the ER.