Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What was the most awkward moment you had with your liqour store clerk

Notices

What was the most awkward moment you had with your liqour store clerk

Old 10-24-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I have lots of stores around me so I could alternate. One where they knew me was having 30% off if you bought six bottles, and the clerk suggested would save me money. I told her honestly it would be better if I bought one at a time; six in the house would be way too tempting.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My guy asked why do you buy a pint everyday. The 1.75 is a way better deal by the oz. I said I know but this way I don't over do it. He smiled and said fair enough because he never saw me drunk as I stopped on the way home from work. Then I got to the car and felt ashamed because I bought my big bottles at Costco I used those on the days the pint wasn't enough as in most every day.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

When the liquor store clerk knew me so well that when he saw me pull up, he would have a 750ml bottle of Jim Beam already rung up and in the bag waiting for me by the time I got to the register.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Those guys are the best aren't they. My clerk did the same every day. Sometimes on Friday afternoon he would drop a couple of the airplane bottles in as a thank you...
I started to drop by and tell him I'm trying a new path but I figured it was best not to, besides I bet there are plenty more guys he can depend on now.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
quat

I usually bought beer at my local package store/deli and made a separate trip to a chain type store to buy whiskey and perhaps more beer. The neighborhood shop is friendly and convenient, weeks after I quit the owner asked why I haven't at least picked up the normal six pack. I think he was motivated by trying to keep my business with maybe the idea of discounting the price to be more in line with the larger stores. Instead I just told him that I was 'too good at drinking'. It was awkward , but he got it , he hasn't pestered me since it's still a daily stop lottery, nicotine and other sundries.
The other night I went in and they were having a product/liquor tasting , I actually asked about it as I was going to buy it for someone else. The girl, not the owner, said try it and for a split second I actually felt the Beast , like a twitch, a momentary strong impulse. The real part of my brain said no immediately, but I really 'felt' it. It was weird, not quite awkward, and at the same time triumphant. Hard to express how odd it is to actually experience that, first time I was really aware of the urge as if it were coming from a separate entity. It blew me away because I really feel that I m coming from a place of full consciousness about abstaining and out of the blue this 'thing' popped up. But just like whack a mole, whack it and it goes away.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

its crazy at the pub down the street from me there also is a liquor store. I tied one on there one night then the next morning i realized i didn't have my wallet. Oh crap! So i drove over there just before 8 am hoping there would be a cleaning lady or something. i got there and there was a bunch of guys with bikes waiting by the side of the building. They all looked strung out and a couple were shaking. Then a girl that worked there opened up the building. She said something to the one guy. Wait a minute hun before I give you your shots. I don't think this was legal serving hours? Anyway I found my wallet later in my house in the couch, but now I knew if I got really bad I could get a nip...maybe for free? from the pub down the street at 8 am..awkward went out the window for those guys