Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What was the most awkward moment you had with your liqour store clerk

Notices

Old 10-21-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For a while i was only going to two different liquor stores and i usually hit both up in one day. Sometimes I would hit one up twice or 3 times in one day. The owner of one liquor store didn't like me much. I didn't know why because a gave him a lot of business. he sometimes would laugh when i walked in and

say 12..big guy? Then when i was leaving he say something about me to the clerk and have a big laugh. Every time I went in there he had a laugh about me. Meanwhile people like me were his livelihood.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Mine was actually a week ago. I went to the liquor store to buy a small bottle of rum to make vanilla extract with. It was an independent tiny store and all the liquor was behind a counter and you had to request it. I asked after two bottles because I just needed cheap rum, and he showed me two, and I picked one an payed. Then he thanked me deeply for shopping at his store, saying they are just about the only Mom and Pop store left in this city and he appreciates my business.

He was so genuine...a nice man. But running a business where surely he sees a ton of regulars who patronize his business because they are driven to do so by a monkey on their back.

I left feeling very weird about it.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would have to say a lot of use were the laughing stock ,or liquor store employees .

As odd as this sounds ,lots of them don't drink ,I assume they get to see alocholics first hand .
Old 10-21-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not angry just direct

I've only had one about 6 months ago when I got asked for ID as I didn't look over 18 apparently.

I said, "are you serous, I'm 39, can't you see my balding head and grey beard you ******* moron?"

He refused to serve me. That was awkward!
Old 10-21-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Regretter View Post
I've only had one about 6 months ago when I got asked for ID as I didn't look over 18 apparently.

I said, "are you serous, I'm 39, can't you see my balding head and grey beard you ******* moron?"

He refused to serve me. That was awkward!

yeah reg i had a beard at 17..usually i got away with it.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i always had the same expeience.

Now i can seriously think, Jeez the world isnt always talking about me, me, me.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AB3

There are two liquor stores in the town that I live in for now, as we just recently got liquor here last year. Before I had to drive about 15 miles to the nearest wet county. It was usually just most awkward going in there every day or every other day, buying a big bottle and coming back so soon for another. Always getting that "back again?" look. When we got it here though, I'd switch up between the two so I wouldn't have to go to the same one every day. But needless to say, it didn't take them long to figure me out. Getting those looks. Very uncomfortable feeling. But alcoholics don't really care much what other people think, so at the time it was just routine. Tired of being 'that one guy.'
Old 10-22-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Pro tip - whatever our perceived experiences of "akwardness" or shame/embarrassment at the liquor store, the folks who work there have seen it all - and far worse than many of us have been a part.

Many years ago I was at my local stop and another guy in there was trying to trade his leather jacket for a bottle. This was mid-winter in Duluth, MN. Guy got up to pay and didn't have enough. He literally took the coat off his back and asked to trade it for the bottle. When the clerk declined, he pleaded with everyone in the store to buy the jacket from him for just enough to get his bottle.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I saw this one. One poor guy in really bad shape came in the store, he was dressed in rags and smelled like stale urine. As soon as he came in, one of the people behind the counter came out with a can of air freshener and followed him around spraying it as he walked around. They were polite enough to be somewhat discrete and I am not sure the guy noticed, but what a spot to be in. He eventually found the cheapest bottle of whatever, paid and left.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Matt M

I had two literally a few yards from each other so I used to alternate between them each day.
I always felt embarrassed and always hoped that a different person was serving each time.
They never said anything and I never went in staggering around or looking clearly drunk, but they without doubt knew I had a serious problem as I was buying a bottle of vodka every other day from them.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Mine was actually a little convenience store where I would go to get wine. I tried to do my usual nice-nice casual act at checkout. The clerk said, well, you come in here every day.

I was horrified. They knew?

I could swear it was not every day. But I was recognizable enough that I guess to the clerks it was every day. I fled from there and swore to never go back. To THAT establishment, anyway.

I am sure I am well-known at the others. God help me.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

not exactly awkward but..my last day of drinking - I literally fell out of the bus in front of the store, stinking drunk....

even tho my face was all bloodied up and I really needed a stitch or two, I still bought beer....and the store guy got me a bandage.

Surreal.

D
Old 10-23-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I knew the liquor store closest to me was small and the owner knew. When I needed to quit I went in there and asked him to never sell me anything in the store again if I came in and asked. He said he was proud of me and he never would.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

The clerk at the closest liquor store to my house would not sell me more than one pint of vodka per day. He said he liked me too much to help me kill myself. That was a little awkward but not as bad as it got elsewhere.

The clerk at the second closest liquor store to my house automatically pulled 2 bottles for me. One 1.75L bottle and one 375ml bottle. He knew my favorite brand was Popov and he never had to ask me a single question. Most of our transactions were done in complete silence. Talk about awkward?

What he didn't know was what the small bottle was for. Had I told him, he might not have served me ever again. Who else but a alcoholic would know that you can't tip a 1.75L bottle in a car without it hitting the roof. The small bottle was for the drive home. I even thought about getting a car with a sun roof, but then the police could see the bottle popping up a mile away. Who else would think of such things?
Old 10-23-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
The clerk at the closest liquor store to my house would not sell me more than one pint of vodka per day. He said he liked me too much to help me kill myself. That was a little awkward but not as bad as it got elsewhere.

The clerk at the second closest liquor store to my house automatically pulled 2 bottles for me. One 1.75L bottle and one 375ml bottle. He knew my favorite brand was Popov and he never had to ask me a single question. Most of our transactions were done in complete silence. Talk about awkward?

What he didn't know was what the small bottle was for. Had I told him, he might not have served me ever again. Who else but a alcoholic would know that you can't tip a 1.75L bottle in a car without it hitting the roof. The small bottle was for the drive home. I even thought about getting a car with a sun roof, but then the police could see the bottle popping up a mile away. Who else would think of such things?
I used metal flasks that fit nicely in inside coat pockets.

I backed my car up to the loading dock of the liquor store on the day it was on sale and loaded 6 cases of half gallons in the trunk. I always had at least a gallon in my car to fill the metal flasks.

When I moved from one state to another state, the owner of the store in the state I left cried. The owner of the state that I moved back to came out from behind the counter and gave me a hug.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justanothrdrunk View Post
This was mid-winter in Duluth, MN.
Prime hockey town! luv Duluth..
Old 10-24-2013, 12:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I went to the same liquor store all the time because it was the closest and I could walk there (or stumble there if I was drunk) as I didn't have a car.

Yeah I was in there almost everyday and sometimes I would go in at 9:30 am when they opened and if I didn't get 2 bottles, sure enough I would be back around 10 just before they closed. Sometimes I didn't even remember going.

I personally didn't care if they knew I was drunk or if they were the same clerk. What sticks out in my mind is the way I thought I was better than the ones begging out on the street as I made my way there. That attitude bothers me more than what the clerks would have thought about me.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've gotten the "it's a little early isn't it?" a couple times. I knew I shouldn't have been doing what I was doing anyways, but that's just a major buzzkill.

After staying sober for 4 months, I ashamedly went back to one of my regular liquor stores. The guy at the counter said "good to see you back buddy". Not necessarily awkward, but really shameful for me as I knew I wasn't supposed to be there anymore.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I remember 'that look' of pity on the clerks' faces as I struggled to find the right change with my hands shaking. The timing needed to be spot on before the shaking it normally happened when id left it too long to get more alcohol in me. Its a nice feeling now going in totally sober and in control.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Serenity Now!!!

Around here the stores open at 10:00am. Sitting in the lot watching the other early morning drunks waiting for opening time was just sad. I was right there with them though.early one Monday morning, I went to the closest store to my house. Liquor stores are closed in Sunday here so I'd drank up all reserve supplies. I see the spot where my usual bottle is is empty. The clerk pulls one from behind the counter and says "I saved you one. " I was deeply insulted. Lol. How'd she know I'd be coming in?