Notices

Alcoholic Nueropothy (sp)...

Old 08-22-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic Nueropothy (sp)...

...is common among alcoholics with a long history of alcohol abuse. This I know, as I am suffering as well. I am a 60 yo male, life long (on and off) alcoholic.

Has anyone else (I am sure) had this condition and maybe willing to talk about it ? I have it in my feet and toes and to a lesser degree hands and fingers. My feet feel as if I always have socks on...and cannot differentiate temp. I cant feel warmth or coolness in my feet...the toes especially.

I have not been diagnosed as Diabetic but I am probably not far from it.

If you are alcoholic...have you experienced this to any degree and has this condition improved or resolved for you after a period of total abstinence? Any improvement after a certain period of time? ....how long? ....or does it look like it may be permanent ?

I am working towards sobriety/recovery and a healthy diet and exercise program to help me abstain from alcohol. It has not been easy thus far however I am very concerned about repairing the damage to my mind and body through a healthy lifestyle.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
Old 08-22-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you consulted a Dr at all Dave?

I think that's important, regardless of what experiences people here may be able to share with you

D
Old 08-22-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Dave, I'm 51, have Type 2 diabetes (controlled with diet, no meds) and have a touch of neuropathy. When I went to rehab a year and a half ago, I was coming off Xanax, I took it for about 4 years.

The detox was horrible. In addition to all the other symptoms, I had a generalized numbness in my entire body; it was most apparent when taking a shower. Slowly it went away. Today, after a few relapses, I've noticed a slight numbness in my feet but it seems to be going away. My cardiologist thinks is alcoholic neuropathy.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank You Dee for your reply...

...and yes. I "Came Clean" with my family doctor...and his diagnosis was not encouraging. I am just looking for a little ray of hope I guess.

He said I am not diabetic...type 2 yet...yet...but I am headed that way in my present lifestyle.

Strange...he wrote me a script to relieve the pain and symptoms and diagnosed me as AN but never told me to quit drinking...and never drink again.

but then again...I guess he didn't really have to.

Dave
Old 08-22-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi

I have neuropathy in my hands and feet due to a medical condition, not alcohol.

My GP prescribed folic acid as that was what I was deficient in and I need to take it for 4 months.

It has made a difference.
I don't get as much puns and needles in my hands and feet anymore.

If you can get your GP or primary doctor do a blood test, you might find you are deficient in something and by taking tablets of it, or eating the vitamin/supplement that might improve things.

I wish you the best. Xxxx
Old 08-22-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank You Sasha...the Doc wrote me a script for "Folbee" tablets. Folic Acid.

He also recommended "Alpha Lipoic Acid" a Anti-Oxidant. (???)

so...I am taking that but...it's time (after several failed attempts) to put a stop to this foolishness and get...SOBER !!!

Thanks
Dave
Old 08-22-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DuhDave View Post

so...I am taking that but...it's time (after several failed attempts) to put a stop to this foolishness and get...SOBER !!!

Thanks
Dave
Yeah, that's the thing Dave, this won't get any better (and will probably get worse) if we keep drinking. At 85 days sober I do notice a big difference.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Had it in my feet, similar to what you describe. I'm not a diabetic either, but I'm "boderline." 41 yo male btw, sober 6 years now.

Took a good 6 months for my feet to feel normal again. All is good now. No issues since I dried up.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Just....
That is what I was hoping to hear...that this is reversable...maybe.

I know every body is different but if there is just a glimmer of hope that this condition will resolve, over time, then it is another very good reason (of many) why I want to put a stop to this madness and do so, forever !

I am starting to think I am one of the "such unFortunates" that the AA Big book refers to and I need all the Hope, help and reasons I can find to defeat this demon alcohol!

Dave
Old 08-22-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justanothrdrunk View Post
Had it in my feet, similar to what you describe. I'm not a diabetic either, but I'm "boderline." 41 yo male btw, sober 6 years now.

Took a good 6 months for my feet to feel normal again. All is good now. No issues since I dried up.
Me too.
Except the 41 yo male part and the borderline diabetic.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks
Dave
Yep I am on that.
Don't know about you but I was very breathless too.
I've been on it about 3 weeks and I am starting to feel better.

The feelings I got in my hands was awful, my feet too. It was so irritating. From my job, I know neuropathy is hard to treat. It is sometimes not as simple as taking 2 paracetamol with some water. The drugs they use can be quite heavy going too in terms of side effects.

I would hate for that to become how my hands and feet felt all the time. It would certainly make me want to stop if that would be all the time.

Have you tried anything so far?
Old 08-22-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had neuropathy in both hands and feet. Mine was considered idiopathic, because it came on very suddenly (within two hours, I went from fine to unable to walk), and the neurologist thought it was from a chemical exposure, or possibly to a bad fall that I had taken, where I broke my arm and leg (fell off a roof...and I hadn't even been drinking!).

As I'm sure you've been told, neuropathy happens when the small peripheral nerves are damaged or destroyed. However these nerves can regenerate, usually at the rate of 1/4 inch per week. It took my hands about six months to recover (healing goes from the wrist outward to the fingers). I used to check how much had healed by touching my hand with a needle until I couldn't feel it, then I would make a mark there with a sharpie so I could keep track of my progress. I developed something called RSD later on, so my feet never completely healed.

I wish I could tell you I took something, a vitamin or supplement, that helped. I tried a dozen or more things, but nothing helped. I will tell you one thing...if you have pain and they want you to take Lyrica, do lots of research first. I took this medication and had a terrible time coming off of it. It took six months to taper off, because withdrawal is so rough.

The only sure bet to help with your neuropathy is you must stop drinking completely. You risk having no recovery, or having symptoms become much worse, if you continue. Good luck, it's going to get better, and while you are waiting you will get more used to things.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank You LongBeach for your input.

...and everyone else as well. I am working on this delima mainly I think because it threatens me short term. I am getting where it is difficult to walk, stand and keep my balance. I know it sounds crazy...I know alcohol can kill me but for the near term...I think it could put me in a wheel chair or at best...Ill be tied to a cane or walker for the rest of my life. This is the insanity of alcoholism.

My feet and toes are weird. They feel numb...but at the same time are HYPER-sensitive to touch. Even a kitty kat rubbing up or across my feet is painful !!!...Go figure. I cant explain. I can get foot and toe cramps and it hurts like hell !!! ...while everything is numb...how can I feel so much pain ?

Beats me. God I need help. Thanks to everyone for being here for me.

Dave
Old 08-22-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had alcoholic neuropathy. I say had because it has practically gone now. I had bad numbness and tingling in my hands and in my feet, mainly just my right leg, it was so bad it was effecting my walking. I doubt many people noticed (a fencing instructor did though but I suppose she had a habit of looking at people's feet) but it bugged me a lot. I feel very lucky that that was the worse I suffered. It took 8 + months of sobriety to notice any improvements. I hope you manage to stop drinking Dave. I am sure it really will get better if you give it time x
Old 08-22-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My feet and toes are weird. They feel numb...but at the same time are HYPER-sensitive to touch. Even a kitty kat rubbing up or across my feet is painful !!!...Go figure. I cant explain. I can get foot and toe cramps and it hurts like hell !!! ...while everything is numb...how can I feel so much pain ?

Beats me. God I need help. Thanks to everyone for being here for me.

Dave
Thats why neuropathic pain is so hard to treat.
Some of the symptoms might not feel like pain. It might be a burning sensation, a prickle sensation or numbness.

It affects everyone so differently too.

There is a type of long lasting neuropathic pain you get after shingles, called post hepatic neuralgia. This is when shingles s not treated in time and the crescent shaped rash on your back becomes damaged. Some patients describe just wearing a shirt, or having a fabric touch that area, gives them awful, agonising symptoms.

There is also a condition with Diabetes called painful diabetic neuropathy.
It usually affects the feet. Patients often cannot tolerate touching their own feet. They can have little feeling, or sharp shooting pains. Most cannot wear shoes or socks. So you really need to stop going down the route of diabetes.

You can imagine the quality of life these sufferers have. They are in agony and cannot wear shoes, or get properly dressed.

I am not sure where you are in the world, but in the UK we have a way of measuring and defining neuropathic pain which is called 'the lance scale'.

If you google it, it might explain symptoms and treatments to you.
Another treatment worth mentioning to your doctor is capsaicin cream.
Google that too and private message me if you want.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I Really do thank each and everyone of you for your input. It is very encouraging to me to know I'am not the alone in my delima and maybe...just MAYBE...I can get a grip and overcome this "Self Abuse"...the madness and insanity of alcohol abuse.

The "Will" is certainly there...the "desire"...I have tons of...the "Fortitude" and the Absolute "Rock Solid Committment" to GET...and STAY sober...errrr...I'am lacking of.

I'am trying to find the determination!...it just isnt coming to me...yet.
Maybe I'am still looking for the ..."Easier, Softer way" as described in the Big book.

Thanks to all for being here for me.

Dave
Old 08-23-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
zjw

Dave if you quit things will improve it wont be over night but each day things get better. Thats the easiest solution a lot more problems then just our feet will get better too. You have to wonder what will it take to get the rock solid committment? How bad does it have to get? Do you want it to get that bad? do you want to find out?

I never had the rock solid commitment either things had to get really tough for me to get rattled enough. The thing is that level of toughness is different for everyone. If you end up in a wheel chair over it woudl that be enough to rattle you?

I guess the question is where is the bottom do you really want to find it? My bottom was daily panic attacks and horrible withdrawels all day long till i could get that drink back in me. That was what it took and thankfully in comparison to many other folks I had it really easy tho at the time I certainly did not feel that way to me it was horrible i had it the worst my life was the worst life on this planet etc..

I'm thankful thats all my bottom was I got lucky in comparison to many. They say in aa you get locked up, sober up, or get covered up. I know if i didnt pick the sobered up option my life would not be all that great right now if I was even still breathing.

I'm glad your reading the big book but I dont think your one of the unfortunates. I think your doing a good job reading the book and coming here. Just keep it up it will get easier.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Dave, have you been tested for MS?
Old 08-23-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Maybe I'am still looking for the ..."Easier, Softer way" as described in the Big book.

Thanks to all for being here for me.

Dave
I looked for the easier, softer way for a long time, Dave. Funny thing is, I found it in the Big Book.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks John...Yes, Iam convinced (Finally) there is no easy way. I just need to get my mind right. Iam not in Denial...Iam just in dispair...as to why I cant just lose the damn booze and never drink again. Thanks for your input.

Lady Bug...no Ive never been tested for MS...but I tested 100% positive for alcoholism !...and I feel it can be reversed...or at best put into "Remission". I know...each day I donot drink...my disease is further into remission. Though not curable.

A large part of the damage that I have inflicted upon my self can be repaired and reversed...over time.

Its just time to suit up and "Throw Down the Gauntlet" to the demon alcohol !!!

And BTW Lady...I'am in the USA...North Florida area.

ZJW...Thanks for your comments. Everything you say is true. Iam working on getting my mind wrapped around this TOTAL abstenance FOREVER thing...its just slow in coming.

Sasha and Hypo...your both a ray of hope to me. Thank you for your comments.

I thank everyone for being here for me...I hope to be here for you in the not too distant future...100% sober with a few years under my belt...instead of a few "Belts" !!!

Dave