Notices

Day after anxiety

Old 08-18-2013, 12:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Buddhist

I can agree that I love being sober... I love drinking as well

I'm just angry with myself the next day because of the anxiety... I beat myself up and think "why can't I be like everyone else during a hangover?"

I don't feel that I'm constantly miserable because I know I can enjoy myself sober. For me it's just why can't I be like everyone else I'm friends with and have a normal hang over. I definitely consider myself a binge drinker; I can hold off liquor if I keep myself occupied but once I'm bored I think "why not a drink'

Just like any drug we make up excuses to consume the drug. I've already accepted I have a problem but wish I understood it further. If I had the normal hangover I wouldn't consider drinking to be a problem so it's pretty confusing. I see my 30yr old friends drink and do drugs all night and be fine the next day while I'm in my 20s and they look at me like I'm crazy.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
quat

google 'kindling effect'
not meant as a scare tactic just to give you some new info that maybe can answer some questions , and I believe that a hangover after binge drinking is considered withdrawl so you can figure how many times you have gone through withdrawl
Old 08-18-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Matt M

Yeah I totally know what you mean.
My moods and motivation to do anything goes from one extreme to the other. I can feel really on edge, anxious and just a general feeling that something bad is about to happen.
The thought of being around people is a horrible thought and it's just a mix of anxiety and feeling overly emotional.
I've had that many many times and I hate it.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Pimp Juice, this is exactly what made me quit. After years of having normal hangovers I suddenly started feeling just as you have described and I didn't know why the sudden change. It's a progressive disease though. It took me a few weeks of drinking then having this feeling before I realized the inevitable. I had to quit, you can say know one else feels like this, but we are all telling you that we did, and had to quit. Do yourself a favor and kick the bottle. I tapered off slowly to avoid withdrawals, this doesn't work for most though. I wish you the best.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Buddhist

Originally Posted by Johnny795 View Post
Pimp Juice, this is exactly what made me quit. After years of having normal hangovers I suddenly started feeling just as you have described and I didn't know why the sudden change. It's a progressive disease though. It took me a few weeks of drinking then having this feeling before I realized the inevitable. I had to quit, you can say know one else feels like this, but we are all telling you that we did, and had to quit. Do yourself a favor and kick the bottle. I tapered off slowly to avoid withdrawals, this doesn't work for most though. I wish you the best.
I've quit for a month, but usually I can't get past 2 weeks of quitting... I don't get withdrawals at all. Just sucks for me because my job involves being around drinkers and events where everyone is celebrating. I do accept I have a drinking problems
Old 08-18-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Buddhist

I've also noticed during this hangover, if I exert any physical force even like walking up a couple flights of stairs my heart goes into overdrive and I feel panicked. Even doing basic cleaning around the house I feel like exhausted
Old 08-18-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm super surprised no one has linked you to this PAWS:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...periences.html

Seems as if your experience is pretty typical of someone addicted to alcohol.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I had a lot of anxiety at the end of my drinking, too. As I understand it, some of it has to do with alcohol being a central nervous system depressant. As the body tries to compensate, once the alcohol stops the nervous system ends up in a hyper state. Also, as dwtbd mentioned, the "kindling effect" shows that we can become more and more sensitive to this over time, so it tends to get worse.

Maybe thinking about some alternatives when you get to that bored state would help, plus some kind of recovery plan. It's hard when you're trying to do it on your own, especially with the work-related drinking. BUT you CAN do it!
Old 08-19-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

ok, not just jitters with me but sometimes full blown anxiety/panic attacks... anyone have THAT happen? not just the next morning, sometimes later in the day... noon...three... just wondering if they could be related to my drinking and not some other random mental issue. Would be great if it was just drinking... because I QUIT! Day 8! Woot! LOL!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Good Job! I'm on day 9 so I completely understand! Yes, the anxiety was HORRIBLE for the first 3 days for me!!! My doctor gave me a prescription of xanax to take when I'm having anxiety. The first couple of days I was taking 2 pills a day. I mean I was maxing it out. Now I only take one every once in awhile. It's getting better and knowing I have a backup (xanax) I don't feel like drinking is the only way to make the anxiety go away. I had a few moments this weekend that were very tough but I got thru it. I feel I'm getting stronger.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Ladybug, I totally agree that having the xanax as a backup helps a lot mentally. I took one the day I got it but haven't had to since. It really does help knowing that liquor or panic attack isn't the only option. I had 2 sober days but drank last night. While I'm disappointed, it also has helped me realize why I'm quitting because I don't feel all that great this morning. I had felt so great last 2 days. Lesson learned, keep up the good work everyone, you are inspirations!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I get extreme anxiety. I have it right now. I'm hungover and missing work. I hate myself right now.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Last night was a night I was really wanting a drink. I was getting ready for my work week and always drank while doing my nails and watching Big Brother! LOL..... I made myself a soda water with lots of lime (I don't know why the bite of the lime pacifies me when craving a drink). My nails look like crap today but it's not because I was drunk while doing them so that's a plus. LOL
Old 08-19-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
jkb

Really glad to read this thread today. I began having "anxiety" 3 years ago... I noticed that it would coincide with hangovers but, thought there must be some other reason.... couldn't be alcohol related. Went to a shrink... got the benzos... and yay..... back to drinking at night and had benzos in the A.M.

Fast forward to 6 months ago and the anxiety had turned to panic and the pills weren't helping much anymore. I quit drinking a little over 5 months ago and quit the benzos.... life is good most days. Anxiety is minimal. Trust me PJ, this "anxiety" only got worse and worse for me. It became unbearable.

Jess
Old 08-19-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

My anxiety always started the day after a binge and lasted for about 4 days. It was always HORRIBLE and got worse after each binge. Each time it robbed me of 4 days out of my life that I will never get back.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Count me in!!!! Panic attacks like crazy. Sense of dread.....
Old 08-19-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I was one of the "hey, my hangover isn't that bad" people and didn't get anxious at all. When I didn't got my Benzos the next mourning it was a different story though...
Old 08-19-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

My hangovers weren't too physically bad it was mostly the anxiety. I can say I have never missed a day of work because of drinking ... although I have still been drunk in the morning when I went to work.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Yep, towards the end I was consumed with 'day after' anxiety.. so what'd I do? Drink more. Awful cycle. That's one of the best parts of sobriety, never ever feeling like that again.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Buddhist

I used to be able to go to work hungover no problem, but if I tried it now I wouldn't even be able to drive there and taking a bus I'd definitely have an anxiety attack.

I've seen people describe having anxiety but they're still able to go to work or do their daily routine. As for me I refuse any medications because I'm worried about that kind of addiction as well. I don't smoke either, now do I even take a tylenol for headaches.

Yesterday trying to walk up a bunch of flights of stairs I just about had a full blown panic attack, felt my heart racing and a bit dizzy. These stairs I usually walk up 13 flights no problems when I've been sober for 3-4 days.

Anyways I'm going to attempt to take my life back again.. I wish I could give my experience to a friend for one day so they could understand