Notices

Day after anxiety

Old 08-19-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I understand how you feel the only difference is I am willing to take medication to help. I have to be able to function because of family and work.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by LadyBug66 View Post
My hangovers weren't too physically bad it was mostly the anxiety. I can say I have never missed a day of work because of drinking ... although I have still been drunk in the morning when I went to work.

Same here, I got away with it for years too somehow but it eventually catches up with you and people start noticing.
On two occasions I had to leave work early because I just couldn't function. I lied and said it was because of the medication I was on and they bought it, but basically I was wasted.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I had this as well. I have to say, it gets worse. Much, much worse.

I got to the point I was on anxiety meds, which was pretty stupid given you aren't supposed to drink with them. I was having full on anxiety and panic attacks. It goes much further than feeling anxious with time. The meds stopped helping, the frequency and intensity will increase.

I will say it was the worst feeling I have ever experienced at the end. I could no longer live like that. It was shear desperation. I had to quit, or die. Those were the only two options.

I've been sober now 21 months. The anxiety is gone.

It was such a horrible thing that just thinking about it makes my skin crawl. That's a long way down from the martini bar at the Ritz... But sobriety is so much better!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Alcohol and anxiety turned into an insidious cycle for me. I would wake up with horrible anxiety after my drinking and would eventually become immobilized with fear. I went to my doctor and she prescribed Prozac (not knowing my alcohol consumption). I soon found that the combination of SSRIs and alcohol were awful, and I went into an even darker place. My only relief from that horrible anxiety grip was more alcohol, which I began to consume in the morning and throughout the day. I eventually became a non functioning alcoholic hiding in my house never far from a wine bottle. One morning I woke up and realized that I deserved to live life as god intended. It's been 22 months alcohol and anxiety free. I'm so thankful that I made it out of that insidious anxiety-alcohol cycle alive.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Same thing happens to me. Long binges and hiding under the covers in terror the next day. I'm doing AA, SR, counseling, and seeing a doctor. I don't have any other choice: Do I want to live, or do I want to die?

It's helped me to think of this in terms of life and death, not drinking or not drinking.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

"I see my 30yr old friends drink and do drugs all night and be fine the next day while I'm in my 20s and they look at me like I'm crazy."

If your friends are still drinking and doing drugs all night in their 30s, you need to find some new friends.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

The anxiety is related to the withdrawal we go through after we use up so much dopamine while drinking. There's none left and your brain can't function without it, so you get anxiety and then the anxiety turns to panic attacks. That's progression. I don't think "normal" drinkers experience this much, and if they do, they're not likely to repeat it. I did this for years and years. Xanax worked for a while, but you are playing with fire. You develop a tolerance quickly and end up taking more to feel relief. I wound up having to detox from xanax shortly after quitting alcohol. It SUCKED! If a doctor begins talking benzos , be certain you are up front with your alcohol intake. My shrink had NO IDEA of my drinking and kept filling scripts for 10 years of xanax...........alcohol leads to withdrawal which leads to anxiety which is calmed by benzos which lose their effectiveness and more anxiety comes with that and...... It's no way to live!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:33 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beatle View Post
Alcohol and anxiety turned into an insidious cycle for me. I would wake up with horrible anxiety after my drinking and would eventually become immobilized with fear. I went to my doctor and she prescribed Prozac (not knowing my alcohol consumption). I soon found that the combination of SSRIs and alcohol were awful, and I went into an even darker place. My only relief from that horrible anxiety grip was more alcohol, which I began to consume in the morning and throughout the day. I eventually became a non functioning alcoholic hiding in my house never far from a wine bottle. One morning I woke up and realized that I deserved to live life as god intended. It's been 22 months alcohol and anxiety free. I'm so thankful that I made it out of that insidious anxiety-alcohol cycle alive.
Hmm, sounds like we were on the same cycle, and gave it up at almost the same time!

Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by erics View Post
The anxiety is related to the withdrawal we go through after we use up so much dopamine while drinking. There's none left and your brain can't function without it, so you get anxiety and then the anxiety turns to panic attacks. That's progression. I don't think "normal" drinkers experience this much, and if they do, they're not likely to repeat it. I did this for years and years. Xanax worked for a while, but you are playing with fire. You develop a tolerance quickly and end up taking more to feel relief. I wound up having to detox from xanax shortly after quitting alcohol. It SUCKED! If a doctor begins talking benzos , be certain you are up front with your alcohol intake. My shrink had NO IDEA of my drinking and kept filling scripts for 10 years of xanax...........alcohol leads to withdrawal which leads to anxiety which is calmed by benzos which lose their effectiveness and more anxiety comes with that and...... It's no way to live!
Yes, Benzo's are bad news for alcoholics. They affect the same parts of the brain. And yes, I've heard withdrawing from Benzo's is even more dangerous than Alcohol. I too was on Xanax, using it to cope at work.

Oddly enough, they use them in detox (librirum). But they do it in a very controller manner.

It's such a horrible horrible cycle. But you never have to do it again!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

How do you manage at work? I'm on day two sober and still having horrible withdrawel syptoms from a weekend of drinking vodka. I plan on going in to work but i am terrified I'll be shaking a sweating on patients. I just want to cry an dissapear.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Kayla, you're just going to have to decide to go through it and do the best you can. Most of us have been there. The best way to prevent this from happening again is to stop drinking.

An alternative would be to come clean to your boss and tell him you need to get some help. You may lose your job. He may sympathize and give you time off to get help. But based on what you're going through, it sounds like you need to make quitting a top priority. GL