Notices

Day after anxiety

Old 08-17-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Buddhist

Day after anxiety

I try to read this forum and search online for anyone with similar symptoms as me and can't find it anywhere.

When I drink, I always have a good time and remember what I did during the night. Never am I worried if I acted like a fool but the entire next day I feel off/anxious I have no idea how to describe it. This only happens the day after drinking and sometimes two days after. My appetite is minimal and being around people is a nightmare. It's like I want to hide in a dark room and not face reality. No headaches or feeling sick just feel completely off.

Does anyone else have to write off their entire next day after drinking?

I miss just having a headache and feeling like **** but still able to get things done.

Quitting liquor seems like my only choice
Old 08-17-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pretty normal actually, unfortunately. I never got normal hangover symptoms but I can get extremely anxious and it is awful. The worst is when you try to cure that anxiety with further drinking. It "helps" temporarily but every time you sober up the anxiety is just a little bit worse.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most people here would feel that way, actually PJ.
Increasing, longer lasting anxiety is simply a progression of the alcoholism...

D
Old 08-17-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had the anxiety AND the hangover symptoms. Not fun. Day 4 for me.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Buddhist

Yeah, nobody and I know a LOT of ppl ever experience this and they drink and party like animals. So I just feel alone and not 'normal' as drinking is the socially 'norm'
Old 08-17-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd be willing to bet some of the people you know that party like animals ARE having issues with alcohol. They just won't admit it.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awful anxiety, paranoia, self hate, isolation, sense that something bad was going to happen, jittery, on edge for me after drinking.

I now look back and think who in their right minds would take a drug that leads to that?

I willing poured it down my neck. No-one forced me.

If we had those side effects from medicines our doctor gave us, we would stop taking it, never take it again and warn others.

And Dee is right, the more I drank, the more I was anxious.
It became the norm for me to feel anxious and hideous all day then dash home so I could kill my symptoms with a drink.

I think, at least for me, the mental side effects from alcohol were far worse, far more horrid to endure than the physical hangover symptoms.

Wishing you the best xxxx
Old 08-17-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Davestwincam View Post
I'd be willing to bet some of the people you know that party like animals ARE having issues with alcohol. They just won't admit it.
With you on that 150%!!!

I get to see it quite regularly from friends, colleagues that drink.

It is pure torture.

The maths don't really add up for me either.
2 to 3 days of self loathing, guilt, self hate and doom, for maybe 4 hours of drinking?
Old 08-17-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Buddhist

My body feels like I'm super alert and overly in tune with everything around me... It's almost too much to handle.

Maybe my friends are having issues with alcohol, I just envy they can wake up from heavy drinking and carry on with their day like nothing.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had that a lot PJ but I usually knew why lol. Like the time I got pissed at my guitar player and left a profanity laced tirade on his voice mail at 3 in the morning. He of course saved the message and played it for the other band mates so they could all laugh at me. I tried to laugh it off with them but it hurt for days after remembering what an ass I made of myself.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Have you ever asked pimp?

I thought I too was the only one that did that.

I am sure if you asked a few people who had drunk heavily the night before if they were really great the next day, one, maybe more would confess to not being good.

I remember an ex who used to go out every friday after work.
He once confided in me that if he could avoid walking to his desk in his office after a big friday night, he would, be very, very happy.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have had that feeling plenty of times. My heartbeat increases and my blood pressure rises after drinking heavily....I feel anxious and miserable. A lot of people, including myself in the past, will take a sedative instead of a drink to help with anxiety. That can lead to another dependence, of course. Best bet, is let your body balance itself out by not putting the drug/poison in your body in the first place. I have 31 days today and feel soooooo much better emotionally, mentally, physically. I know I have a lot more healing to do and will eventually get around to spiritual growth and maturity. Stay away from that first drink. Exercise, take a walk...tire yourself out and then get some good sleep. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Buddhist

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
Have you ever asked pimp?

I thought I too was the only one that did that.

I am sure if you asked a few people who had drunk heavily the night before if they were really great the next day, one, maybe more would confess to not being good.

I remember an ex who used to go out every friday after work.
He once confided in me that if he could avoid walking to his desk in his office after a big friday night, he would, be very, very happy.
I've asked everyone... They say they just have a headache but that's as bad as it gets. They just look at me like I'm crazy when I describe my symptoms

I don't get a headache... I feel just super alert and I can't be around people. There's no way in hell I could go to a job a day after drinking.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes Pimpjuice, I was like that too.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I completely relate to your post. Anxiety after drinking...for myself....has progressed to anxiety 'immediately' after drinking and in the same day. I'm not going to lie and say that I'm sober because I am Not. As far as perceiving others as being 'fine' after a drinking binge, I suppose that some may be o.k. and others may not. You'll never know what someone truly feels after a night out with excessive alcohol. As for myself, I feel displaced and numb the next day. Just want to hide in my bed and doze intermittently to escape the guilt / shame.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
quat

pimp

I was a heavy binge drinker for years, hangovers really weren't that terrible physically grin and bare it kinda thing, always better by 2 pm, right? The first beer wouold be waiting after work.
It wasn't until in the last year that I started to have terrible anxiety and such in the mornings seemingly out of no where. Heck I thought I was immune or indestructible. Scared the crap out of me, after looking around the net , it seemed that those experiences may be the signs of alcohol dependence or at the least the onset of physical dependency. As the damage of alcohol abuse is progressive, I think you know you should have some heavy thinking to do about alcohol use, I know I did.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Its called jitters ,pretty normal .

The jitters used to kick my ass ,BAD
Old 08-17-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Buddhist

blackoutgirl - I never feel shame or guilt just the anxiety

jitters I don't think can be that normal if I have to avoid being outside and being rendered completely useless.

I actually didn't drink until about 2 Thursdays ago... If I go shower I feel like a normal person but as soon as I step outside I can't handle anything. A loud sound would make me jump. Wish I knew what was going on inside my body
Old 08-17-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think everyone has that. After a heavy drunk, the first day I could be kind of affable and goofy. The second day was when the anxiety kicked in. The third day was depression. The fourth day, the clouds were lifting. The fifth day the brain chemicals kicked back up and I wanted to try it all over again.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

It won't go away. It will only get worse. The sooner you come to terms with the fact that with booze you will be constantly miserable, the sooner you can stop being miserable by not drinking.