Notices

Anyone a military dependent?

Old 07-24-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone a military dependent?

My husband is military. I have got to stop drinking I have to. I want to go see my doctor and get checked out and maybe just tell somebody but...I am afraid of the backlash. How will this impact my husband obviously and will this hurt my kids any?

I want to maybe even see about any rehab treatment tricare will cover, probably none ha ha, but my husband is deployed right now. He won't be coming back till next year...what do I do? If I try to get him home....I mean really how can I embarrass him like that.

Sigh...I don't know anyone dealt with any of this? Thanks!
Old 07-24-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not military, but I do work on base. There should be no backlash against you or you husband or your kids. Go to Medical and discuss your situation with the Drs. They will be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm ex-military. Aren't there military medical resources available for active duty members and their dependents? Do you live on post?
Old 07-24-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes we are on post....kinda the problem I guess. It feels nerve wracking wracking think about going to an army doctor about this and hoping it doesn't come back on your husband. It's not supposed to I know but....

Another thing I was wondering is what would tricare cover if anyone had an experience. I'm not going to try to get him home but I guess I do need to tell him. Thanks though I've made enough excuses for one life...if I need help I need it.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The military would rather see you in a program than having drinking problems.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
urban chicken

My husband is active duty. HS on board suggested to my husband that I go to Fleet and Family services on base (not sure which branch your husband is in, this is at a Navy base) or to the hospital. I did both. Saved my life.

I went through psychotherapy at the Naval hospital, tricare has covered every penny of it.

Good luck and
Old 07-24-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ananias View Post
Yes we are on post....kinda the problem I guess. It feels nerve wracking wracking think about going to an army doctor about this and hoping it doesn't come back on your husband. It's not supposed to I know but....

Another thing I was wondering is what would tricare cover if anyone had an experience. I'm not going to try to get him home but I guess I do need to tell him. Thanks though I've made enough excuses for one life...if I need help I need it.
I can't say for sure that your situation wouldn't be known to a few people, but technically no one should know. The Army should want you to get better; they need soldiers who are content and taken care of, and that's means their families should be well taken care of. Of course, what sounds good on paper, may not work out so well in practice. However, I believe you should make use of the resources available. You goal should be to get sober; try to let the worries go, as your worrying about something that hasn't yet happened, and probably won't happen.

Good luck, and keep reading and posting here; there is a lot of support here.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
I can't say for sure that your situation wouldn't be known to a few people, but technically no one should know. The Army should want you to get better; they need soldiers who are content and taken care of, and that's means their families should be well taken care of. Of course, what sounds good on paper, may not work out so well in practice. However, I believe you should make use of the resources available. You goal should be to get sober; try to let the worries go, as your worrying about something that hasn't yet happened, and probably won't happen.

Good luck, and keep reading and posting here; there is a lot of support here.
This would be close to my answer. If you were active serving I would say 'just stop' and don't go on record but from my limited experience the military tends to carry a big stick on its soldiers and walk softly on spouses due to a long lineage of problems caused between the relationship.

I'd discuss it with your husband if possible before hand. I was in a combat unit so I know little about how the administrative side functions outside of trying to circumvent them as much as possible.

I'm not an expert by a long shot however. I wish you nothing but luck.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm a dependent and I went to rehab while my husband was deployed. His command never even knew about it. With HIPPA laws, your doctor cannot disclose your information to anyone without your permission. Tricare did cover all of my treatment. Good luck!