Notices

Need Revia (Naltrexone) Advice Please

Old 07-25-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Need Revia (Naltrexone) Advice Please

Hi all,

I've been sober for about 2 1/2 weeks. Today is day three of 25mg naltrexone (starter pack, prescribed by pdoc). The first day of taking it at 4:30 and felt awesome. Did yoga and didn't want to drink at all. Yesterday, day 2, was a completely different story. I still didn't want to drink, but a couple hours after taking it at 3:00 I felt ridiculously high. I couldn't feel my arms or my legs, was incredibly dizzy and kept having to steady myself. That passed after about 4 or 5 hours. Slept okay, but today I woke up feeling like I was hungover as heck. Anyone else have that experience? Will it go away? I really like the way I felt on the first day, but today feels awful. Also, what are everyone's thoughts on what time of day is best to take it? Thanks so much.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been taking Naltrexone under a doctor's supervision and I think it has helped reduce the cravings a lot. It might just be the placebo effect. I have not had any side effects but I know some people do. I take it first thing in the morning. I've got 6 weeks sober and will begin tapering off of it at 2 months.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi NCSB - welcome

while asking for other peoples experience is generally ok, things like when to take it etc really need to be discussed with your prescribing physician - we can't give medical advice here.

D
Old 07-26-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I took it two years ago. For me and my biology, it seemed to block EVERY pleasure receptor in my brain. NOTHING was pleasurable (sweets, coffee, exercise, nada).

I was going nuts because nothing I did gave me a bit of joy. Yes, I didn't drink, but I had nothing good happening either.

I took myself off the meds and stayed dry for another few months on my own.

I read that some people experience the same thing that I did, so it's not unheard of. I'd advise you to keep your doc updated with any side effects, just in case.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I take it and it made me feel a little weird for the first day or two. Now, I don't even know I am on it. I think it has most defiinitely helped my cravings. I haven't drank in over nine months.

I should add that I post here, go to AA, see a shrink and a therapist