Notices

Are amends a necessary part of recovery?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
As a non-AA'er, this thread is making me realize that I have actually done my own version of amends, kinda sorta. For New Year's this year, I sent out thank you cards to people in my life who had supported me in the past year (the height of my messy period).

That was before I quit but after I realized that I needed to. So a bit out of order. But it was definitely part of my quitting process. Acknowledging to myself and to them that I had taken more than I'd given recently.
That sounds like me. I don't do AA either. I think I started with the spiritual awakening. I checked out the steps and I seem to be doing that naturally. Amends is important to me. Even though there are no specific events I can point to I did give my daughter's mother depression. I feel bad that I checked out on her. Acknowledge Apologize Act.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Is it essential to make amends? Perhaps it is if you want to be free. I kinda like knowing that there is nothing and no one out there that might harm me as a result of past actions I have swept under the carpet. It's very liberating not to have that monkey on my shoulder.

The AA experience is that we may not stay sober if we don't make amends. I believe this was true for me.

Also, the Big Book is very specific that I am not included in the group of "others" i.e the idea that I don't have to make amends if I will be hurt is not true. All amends hurt, they humble me, they reduce my bank account, they may expose me to prosecution, they deflate my ego, in many ways they are the last thing I would want to do. But I was willing to go to any lengths. Here is what the Book says:

"we ask that we be given strength and direction to do the right thing, no matter what the personal consequences may be. We may lose our position or reputation or face jail, but we are willing. We have to be. We must not shrink at anything."
Old 07-17-2013, 04:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Thanks for all the great responses.

It seems that making amends (setting things right versus simply apologizing) can be very useful, sometimes essential, for recovery. However, there is also an element of only tackling them when ready and when they will not be a threat to my sobriety. Regaining the ability to discern what "the right thing" to do is will be another benefit of sobriety.