Notices

Of Mice and Morons

Old 07-03-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tamerua View Post
How about calling yourself a soberist? On a quest to live life with no mind altering anythings?

Next time, try to remember what happens when you do drink, how you will feel after, in the morning.
Soberist. I like it.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Okay...I too love the name of this thread...
Also rather ironic, for those familiar with John Steinbeck's novella. Themes of powerlessness and loneliness laced through the characters and the story.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Starflyer View Post
"Alcoholic" Hmm...Just doesn't sit right with me.
I have often referred to my relationships with alcohol as an allergy. If the curious one persists, I explain that after drinking that I break out in handcuffs. Humor is another equalizer.

I like the idea of hope, that someday I WILL be able to follow a girl into a liquor store and not buy anything. That I will be able to go to a party and not feel any pressure to drink. That I will lay my head on the pillow at night not feeling the cravings.
Like fini, none of these activities cause me to second guess myself today. I do know quite a bit about wine and have picked out a good wine for friends who are not as knowledgeable. Too, I have had to pick up whiskey and nurse more than one old drunk through detox on a twelve step call. Most of my life has been spent as a professional poker player and I've spent countless hours at the table where I am the only one not drinking...including the dealer! There has not been a craving in over twenty years.

The trick for me was an entire psychic change. I am not the same person who lived on the streets and died an alcoholic death before the ambulance arrived and restarted a heart that had quit way too long ago to have any right starting again. There is hope.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by legna View Post
I have often referred to my relationships with alcohol as an allergy. If the curious one persists, I explain that after drinking that I break out in handcuffs. Humor is another equalizer.
Nice.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by legna View Post
Like fini, none of these activities cause me to second guess myself today.

There has not been a craving in over twenty years

The trick for me was an entire psychic change. I am not the same person who lived on the streets and died an alcoholic death before the ambulance arrived and restarted a heart that had quit way too long ago to have any right starting again. There is hope.
This is very comforting and inspiring!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I've always been a "big picture" guy with every aspect of my life - which is toxic for somebody who wants to get sober. My mind says:
"You can NEVER drink a single drop of alcohol ever again. Not a beer, shot of liquor, NEVER."

When I should be telling myself:
"You don't have to not drink for the rest of your life, you just can't drink TODAY."
And then repeat it every day, break it down into something manageable; not so big and daunting.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

"You don't have to not drink for the rest of your life, you just can't drink TODAY."
And then repeat it every day, break it down into something manageable; not so big and daunting.
So very true, Starflyer.

I have only given up one drink; I left it in a trash can in front of a Subway somewhere south of Asheville, NC in December 2009.

Can't say I miss it much anymore.