Notices

30 Days Sober And Payday......

Old 06-17-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

30 Days Sober And Payday......

So this Friday I will be a month sober after my minor slip. The problem is that it is the day I get paid. We get paid every 2 weeks but there was a problem with my training hrs and they will be added to this check. The problem is that I have not had this much money at one time in years. I use to do day labor & get paid cash at the end of the day. I know I will get a stomach ache because I will be so tempted. Any ideas how I can lock this money away??
Old 06-17-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, let's not focus on the RAGING NO you are dealing with. As in NO I can't buy alcohol. How bout we look at the Bright Blazing YES! What can you do with that money? You could buy yourself something you want as a reward for your month of sobriety..something awesome because you deserve it. Is there anything you want? You could put it in the bank and start building your sobriety reserve of financial freedom. If you're terrified of having it..give away what you don't need to someone who does. Use that money for GOOD..not to destroy yourself. You are a worthy, deserving precious human being that this world needs...
Old 06-17-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Think about how much of that money you will be saving by not drinking. It is scary how much money I have blown drinking. Buy yourself a nice dinner and put the rest away.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by Mirage74 View Post
Think about how much of that money you will be saving by not drinking. It is scary how much money I have blown drinking. Buy yourself a nice dinner and put the rest away.
IMO, the cost of alcohol is cheap. The consequences of drinking/using cost a lot of money. The hospitals, lawyers, probation fees, loss cell phones/wallet, gambling while drunk ect...
Old 06-17-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know if there's much advice to give...... besides just don't spend it on booze. Or give your money to someone you can trust...or bank it. But no person or bank could stop me if I was determined to get drunk. Resist the temptation and say no. You've already been sober for almost a month. It will keep getting easier to say no each paycheck. Your stomach ache from not buying booze will not be nearly as bad as your stomach ache if you do buy booze.

For the first time in 6-7 years I actually bought new clothes with my extra money last week. It felt really good to get something that will last a while instead of spending it on booze and other drugs. Plus I've been wearing the same clothes for 6-7 years haha.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I hear ya bones. I was thinking about clothes. I've been wearing the same stuff for years also. I was thinking about writing out a $500 mail order and mail to a trusted friend in Flordia?
Old 06-17-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
IMO, the cost of alcohol is cheap. The consequences of drinking/using cost a lot of money. The hospitals, lawyers, probation fees, loss cell phones/wallet, gambling while drunk ect...
However you want to look at it. Youre actually making your own case for yourself for not drinking.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
High on Life

You need to learn some self control. This is what responsible adults do everyday. Just because you have a lot of money, doesn't mean it has to be spent. It seems like you are always setting yourself up with "problems". Having money is not a problem. Stop making problems out of nothing. Time to grow up, put your big boy pants on, and be an adult. Here are some things you could do:
  • Get a bank account if you don't have one
  • Pay off some of your debt that you have incurred
  • Contribute more to the household

There are a ton of other responsible things that you could do with the money. If you don't start thinking differently in all aspects of your life, you will be in the same place you are in 10 years from now. If nothing changes, nothing changes.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Buy Silver eagles or maple coins its at a discount right now and wait until it goes up. Its a fun hobby. Spend what you would normally spend on a night out on some type of investment.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

theend, I'm not able to have a checking/saving account because I have fraudulent activity on my last one. I wrote bad checks & other addict behavior. I could put the money towards a bankruptcy lawyer because I am never going to be able to pay for what I owe. Maybe I will spend it to tint my cars windows or buy some rims.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I think I'm doing the right thing by talking about this situation now a few days before I actually get paid.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

I could put the money towards a bankruptcy lawyer because I am never going to be able to pay for what I owe.
That's actually not a bad idea. Think of it as a business decision. I've known people in AA who went that route and, contrary to the doom-and-gloom advice they received from many, their credit was restored very quickly. For many, living in financial turmoil is a huge stressor ("the wreckage of our past") that pushes people to increase their drinking or continue a pattern of heavy drinking. It wears on the soul.

At the very least, make it your business to have a consultation with an attorney, which is frequently offered free-of-charge.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EndGame

I think I'm doing the right thing by talking about this situation now a few days before I actually get paid.
Yes. You are.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Save the money for a bankruptcy attorney. Don't incur any more debt, and try to start an emergency fund. You may not get a checking account but you might be able to get just a savings account. You should check into it. Good luck.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I look forward to every paycheck now just because I don't have to spend it on alcohol! It's so nice to have the money available instead.

And yes, I agree, you are doing the right thing my talking about it.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

getting out of the hospital after a 2 day detox( on 5/31)is a minor slip?????????

"Maybe I will spend it to tint my cars windows or buy some rims."

seems to me,and I may be wrong, but a responsible person would be putting that money towards the over $100,000 medical bills instead.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

justfor1, I think it's time to make responsible financial decisions. Try for a savings account. If you can't do that, hide some of the money somewhere and keep it as an emergency fund. Forget the rims and tinted windows, you don't need them. New clothes might be a good idea. How about a haircut? Or new shoes? Maybe buy some good food and cook up something healthy?

There are plenty of responsible and enjoyable ways to spend the money. Spending money on trinkets and rims and that kind of stuff will not make you feel good. Making solid, responsible financial decisions will boost your self-confidence and give you a better outlook on life. Make the right choice, you won't regret it.

Oh, and I agree you're doing the right thing by talking about it here.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
High on Life

Yes, Justfor1 you are doing the right thing by talking about it. Here is the problem I see. You come here all the time and talk about what you shouldn't do, receive all this good advice and do what you are not supposed to do anyway. So talking about it and doing the wrong thing, is just as good as not talking about it. Just something to think about.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
seems to me,and I may be wrong, but a responsible person would be putting that money towards the over $100,000 medical bills instead.
Lets be realistic. I am making 9 bucks a hour. I will never be able to pay that back so why bother paying anything? When it comes to financial matter "doing the right thing" goes out the window. 15% of my paycheck will eventually be garnished for back child support. That I am willing to pay.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Lets be realistic. I am making 9 bucks a hour. I will never be able to pay that back so why bother paying anything? When it comes to financial matter "doing the right thing" goes out the window. 15% of my paycheck will eventually be garnished for back child support. That I am willing to pay.

Kay surrah surrah