Notices

30 Days Sober And Payday......

Old 06-18-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
Lets be realistic. I am making 9 bucks a hour. I will never be able to pay that back so why bother paying anything? When it comes to financial matter "doing the right thing" goes out the window. 15% of my paycheck will eventually be garnished for back child support. That I am willing to pay.
I understand about the hospital bills, and you're right, you will probably never be able to pay it back. But do the "right thing" for yourself. by that I mean, don't spend your money frivolously. As I said above, making good financial choices builds self-esteem, it gives a person a sense of well-being. And that will help you with your sobriety.

I know you're not seeing the big picture just yet, and I understand that making $9 buck doesn't give you hope for a bright financial future. But that's now, I've seen many people start out right where you're at and go on to have financial security. So it can be done--if you want it.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I admit I am not financial smart. My idea of a savings account was whatever cash I could take off my numerous credit cards.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

LOL... thanks for reminding me of my first sober payday. I think it was just $30 or $40 for helping I guy I used to work with cleaning carpets and furniture. That was a lot of money to me in 1984, and I never spent any of my money in the preceeding 5 years on anything but alcohol and cigarettes. Anything else was a complete waste. Throwing it away.

My sponsor convinced me to buy clothes (was still living with my parents and didn't have any real bills) that one particular time, and start learning that we can do other things with it.

The weirdness of having money faded kinda quickly. I learned to spend like crazy, then I learned to save.

I'd suggest taking your money and buying whatever makes you happy this time around. You earned and deserve it. Next time you can think of something more responsible.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thanks Joe. My check will be $500 plus and my mind is spinning. I live in the basement of my family & extended family's home and gave up "doing bills" years ago.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks Joe. My check will be $500 plus and my mind is spinning. I live in the basement of my family & extended family's home and gave up "doing bills" years ago.
www.amazon.com
Old 06-18-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I think you should take at least part of the money and give it to the family to help with bills. Wouldn't it feel good to know you were contributing to the household??
Old 06-18-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I admit I am not financial smart. My idea of a savings account was whatever cash I could take off my numerous credit cards.
I'm not genius, but I know enough to put a little bit away for old age. And I've made a few other smart decisions.

You can do the same.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I would go to an NON bank related investment Services Firm and enquire about a non registered investment account or perhaps an In Trust account for your kidlets - you can have "cash equivalent" building , invest in mutual funds or you can have some fun and buy individual stocks to eventually pass on to your children if the shoe fits. Talk to an Advisor and get obsessed about the stock moves
Old 06-21-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I work 5 hours today and then get my paycheck. It will be my first regular tax paying check I receive in close to 5 years. My plans are to buy a expensive Movado watch. Hopefully, I can avoid my others thoughts.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Nice bait.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
Nice bait.
Having a large amount of money (500+ is a lot to me) at one time is something that I have not had in many years. I would rather buy something nice for myself than spend it on drugs or running bar tabs and then showing up to work drunk. I admit to getting people angry and "stirring the pot" in my thread from a week ago. But not this time. I am looking for support on how to handle money when you are use to being broke or living day to day?
Old 06-21-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I would buy something nice for your family and the rest I would spend on something I like to reward me for 1 month.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by SASA View Post
I would buy something nice for your family and the rest I would spend on something I like to reward me for 1 month.
I am planning on buying some good car polish/wax and a buffer machine to do a full detail to my moms car. I use to detail cars to make a few bucks here and there. I've been told I'm pretty good at it and I enjoy doing it.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

You are going to buy an expensive watch? WTH? You owe back child support, leach off your family and owe $100K to hospitals and this is what you do? You are so selfish. Sorry to say that, but no I'm not.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Disclaimer on my original posts here. I only read the first post, should have read on a bit.

I agree with others that you might want to start working towards doing something a little more constructive with your money. Ultimately you'll feel much better about yourself.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I made it home and sober. I didn't even get a chance to cash my check because I was too tired. It does feel good back to be a regular tax paying Joe Citizen again.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congrats on your first paycheck! I love the idea of doing something for your mom, like detailing her car. Very nice!
Old 06-23-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I thought I would offer you some helpful advice. You don't need to hire an expensive lawyer to file for bankruptcy. You can do it yourself online, quite easily, for $500 or less. I believe I paid $250 for the paperwork and $250 for the filing fee. That was a few years back, the price may have increased, but still much cheaper that going the lawyer route.

You can find a reputable online company that takes your financial information and will work up the legal paperwork for you. The paperwork alone is approximately 75 pages, according you your assets and additional situations, it could vary. Imagine how much an hour you would pay a lawyer to work that up and you are talking big bucks. If you choose to do it yourself, online, you will receive the finished work e-filed, print it, and then mail it after paying for the filing fee to the court in your area. It takes time and commitment, you figure out the paperwork and send it to the company.

What they do is make sure the paper work is filled out correctly. It isn't hard, they provide you will all the information you need to guide you through it and you will save thousands of dollars and it is legit. I know because I did it myself and it worked without any problems or excessive stress. You can get your free credit reports online which will supply you with your debt info. I understand in some states, there is also a program that can help eliminate some medical bills.

Just thought I would offer that info to you. I know many people go the route of the lawyer, but it isn't necessary. If you have limited assets and your finances aren't complicated you can sort out your debt to income and supply the info to the company who handles this professionally, but don't rob you blind in the process.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to offer more info. I understand the stress of being in massive debt and knowing you can never pay it back. I was in your shoes. After years of fees and penalties I owed well over 100K. My debts have been charged off and I'm in the process of rebuilding my credit. It can be done and you will feel much better getting that behind you. Just a thought...
Old 06-23-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

[QUOTE=LosingmyMisery;4031731]I thought I would offer you some helpful advice. You don't need to hire an expensive lawyer to file for bankruptcy. You can do it yourself online, quite easily, for $500 or less. I believe I paid $250 for the paperwork and $250 for the filing fee. That was a few years back, the price may have increased, but still much cheaper that going the lawyer route.

You can find a reputable online company that takes your financial information and will work up the legal paperwork for you. The paperwork alone is approximately 75 pages, according you your assets and additional situations, it could vary. Imagine how much an hour you would pay a lawyer to work that up and you are talking big bucks. If you choose to do it yourself, online, you will receive the finished work e-filed, print it, and then mail it after paying for the filing fee to the court in your area. It takes time and commitment, you figure out the paperwork and send it to the company.

Thank you for posting. It seems you can relate. Filing bankruptcy will be like a huge weight off my shoulder. The bill collectors are nasty and call me at all hours demanding money! They will NEVER get any from me unless they take me to court. I won't feel guilty at all when I file because it is my legal right and best option.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I call the bill collector's the wolves. The were viscous. I know they are only doing their jobs, but holey cow, they were ruthless. What a horrible way to make a living. They eventually will take you to court. I was served papers 4 times. 3 times they didn't even appear after I had taken the day off from work to appear to court. After the court date, I would receive the paper work stating court had been cancelled and a new date had been scheduled. Receiving a notice of cancellation after the court date, it was a game. I tried to contact one company to set up a payment plan and they never responded back. I sent money to another, they cashed the check, then started garnishing my wages. It was a large chunk and I was making the effort, but the effort wasn't good enough.

Stone or turnip, there will be no blood from either. If it really weighs heavily on you, start the process. I know it was such a relief to be free from the pressure and the harassment.