Notices

Working In Sobriety.....

Old 06-04-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Working In Sobriety.....

So I got a job! This is the first tax paying type job I've had in years. An old friend of mine runs a fast food restaurant & needed part time help. I'm willing to work there even though the pay is low. I'm a bit worried if I can handle it since I'm newly sober. I'm also afraid that the government will cut off some of my benefits when they find out I'm employed. Of course, I'm also worried about if I relapse because I will have access to a cash register wish is not a good thing. Especially, since it's an old friend of mine who got me the job. Hopefully, it will keep me busy & my mind off the evil booze.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it will be a good thing.
There's nothing anywhere that says we can't work and be useful in early sobriety.

I can't imagine you would be worse off moneywise J41.

I have faith you'll honour your friends trust in you and do a great job

congratulations
D
Old 06-04-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Nice one JF1!
Work is good for the soul, and what's good for the soul is good for recovery.

I managed to find a job too in the early days and it helped a lot. At the time I thought it was a good thing to adopt the tradition about being self supporting through my own contributions, and I am sure I felt better about myself as a result.

And, like you, I ended up in a job which seemed to suit my circumstances. Part time sounds ideal for you. One day at a time on the other stuff and try to remember the bit about rigorous honesty. I found that trying to practice step 10 right at the start at least saved me from making another big mess that might trip me up.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Smile

Getting a job is a big deal, a big congratulations .
It will help bolster better self-worth and that is really good thing all around...

Could there be a gov disability insurance back to work program?
At any rate, well done!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Dee, you are correct. It's more than I'm making now. I believe I have to feel useful in order to stay sober. Going to AA meetings everyday & outpatient is just not enough. I have a lot of "customer service" type jobs in my background. I once worked at one of the nicer hotels on Michigan Ave. bartending & waiting tables. Sadly, I do not think I can ever be a bartender again. I was quite good at it though.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

you should be the one to let the government agency (or agencies) know you are working as there is now a national data base with this info....don't get caught with fraud now).....

congrats on the job! we're here if you need to talk....

hugs,
~SB
Old 06-04-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on getting a job! Bet you'll be just fine. You can apply some coping skills you've learned. Great situation for that.

I'm looking for a part-time deal myself. Already interviewed for one job, and did way better than I'd expected in that interview.

So, don't sell yourself short... and good luck! You can do it
Old 06-04-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
you should be the one to let the government agency (or agencies) know you are working as there is now a national data base with this info....don't get caught with fraud now).....
congrats on the job! we're here if you need to talk....
hugs,
~SB
I know. The good angel on my left says to call them up now & inform them but the bad angel on my right says not to & don't worry about it.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats Just! I'm happy to see you really taking some steps this time around. Enjoy it.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I have always had the belief (right or wrong) that if you can keep a job than you cannot be a alcoholic. You are a functioning member of society. I know if I pick up a drink I will show up to work drunk as a skunk.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I kept not one, but two jobs, simultaneously as an alcoholic Just.
Didn't do a great job in either by the end, but I kept them for years.

Keeping them was one of the reasons I kidded myself I wasn't 'that bad'

D
Old 06-04-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

[QUOTE=Dee74;3999360]I kept not one, but two jobs, simultaneously as an alcoholic Just.

Well I'm probably wrong then & you can be an alcoholic and still work. But, Dee, I bet your co-workers and/or boss had to of known. Even if you don't drink in the morning the booze is still easy to smell.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

justfor1

congrats! working really helped my sobriety. i worked as much as i can, i volunteered for any extra work i can. i guess that old saying idle hands can be the devil's work shop. luckily the company i worked for was short handed, so i 6 to 7 days a week.
but good luck! congrats~!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Brace yourself. You will encounter a new and uncomfortable wave of stress and responsibility - in and outside of work.

However, keep in mind that - Wasting your life while drinking means that you'll find the idle moments/free time painful and gnawing and reflective. Wasting your life working and productive means that you'll find the idle moments/free time full of relaxation, satisfaction, fulfillment, and contentment.

Productivity is an itch that needs to be scratched. Having a job and mitigating your drinking will mean that you'll have less time devoted to enjoyment - but those windows of enjoyment will actually improve you as a person.... not drag you down with "I should be doing something" guilt.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I also kept a job. I had the same job for over 17 years. I think that is were the term "functioning alcoholic" comes in.

I went to work and paid my bills but I moved the bills around a lot. Always borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. If moving money did not work then I borrowed, which is another vicious cycle. I had to make sure there was always money for my booze.

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I know. The good angel on my left says to call them up now & inform them but the bad angel on my right says not to & don't worry about it.
I understand this. There were a lot of times I did not want to face problems that came up. I was scared and worried what the end result might be. I wanted the problem to go away so I drank to hide from them. I still worried but the alcohol would take it away for a short time.

I have no idea what assistance you are on but in some cases as long as you don't make over a certain amount then your assistance may not be affected. I am sure this is mentioned in some paperwork you have or maybe you can find the answer online. Even retired people can work part-time.

Maybe you can call and ask without letting them know you are working. Just say you have a lead on a part-time job and you want to know how or if that effects your assistance. You won't know unless you take the steps to find out.

Being responsible for our lives and our actions is one one of the new things we have to get used to handling. It is a part of recovery and learning to live sober.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I have always had the belief (right or wrong) that if you can keep a job than you cannot be a alcoholic
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I kept not one, but two jobs, simultaneously as an alcoholic Just.
Well I'm probably wrong then & you can be an alcoholic and still work. But, Dee, I bet your co-workers and/or boss had to of known. Even if you don't drink in the morning the booze is still easy to smell.
I didn't think so at the time, but they probably did yeah.

Noone ever said anything to my face tho, then - and I was working in the music industry, and in academia, where in the 90s booze was not an unknown helpmate - so it's hard to know.

Of course by the end everyone knew anyway, so maybe you have a point about end stage alcoholism...but that was after about 10, 15 years of work.

D
Old 06-05-2013, 02:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good for you! Keeping busy is good and working a job is just plain good for your self esteem. I've been a chef for many years but as a kid I worked at a Dairy Queen. I don't think there's such a thing as a job I'm "too good for." There's dignity in labor and earning your keep.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good luck with the new job!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Recovering

Well done J41

I'd second the idea of letting the agencies know now. That way you won't spend money that will probably be reclaimed by them in the future. Best to keep your finances in order as you go along rather than storing up concealed debt for the future.

God bless +

Michael
Old 06-06-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Most of my co-workers are young & are the "party type". I have already been asked to have "a drink" this Sunday. I told them I don't drink much anymore. I think they would be horrified if we went out & I began drinking in my usual state. A few of them already have the DUI issues & no license. Their in their early 20's & I feel a bit old. They also know that I grew up with the head manager so I feel like I'm looked at as the "boss's pet".