Notices

Weekend Warriors?

Old 06-04-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weekend Warriors?

Hi everyone,

I apologize if this topic has already come up but I was wondering if any of you out there are "just" Weekend Warriors? Here's my week in a nutshell:

Sunday: Sleeping it off
Monday: Feelings of guilt, unstable mood...just feeling horrible
Tuesday: Still feeling pretty awful (see Monday)
Wednesday: Starting to feel better but still am promising myself that I won't drink come Friday
Thursday: start to turn the corner...
Friday: WhoooHooooo!! Who wants a shot?!
Saturday: Chasing the high from Friday...but usually coming up short

So, I guess what I'm getting at is that even though I'm "only" drinking two nights out of the week...I still feel like I have a problem because of how crappy I feel in the beginning and even middle parts of the following week.

Does this ring a bell to anyone? Are any of you "just" Weekend Warriors? I know that only I can determine if I have a drinking problem but I'm wondering if anyone out there is in the same boat as me.

Thanks for reading...
Old 06-04-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR....I used to be like that...Always looking forward to the weekend...Go mental on a Friday and Saturday....In the end everyday was a weekend....
Old 06-04-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Rings a huge bell for me. And it was a small step to mondays, then pushing back fridays to thursdays. Ect.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

You could be in a rut. I lived like that for a while with my best buddy. He decided he was in a rut and stopped. He changed his priorities and carried on with life in a new direction.

I wasn't able to do that, like the others here my drinking days increased to the point where I was unable to work, or do much else. In the end I needed help to quit.

Try making some changes. If you find you are unable to cut down or stop altogether, then you might need some help.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I lived like that for over a decade...

eventually like others here my 'Friday' eventually got pushed back to Thursday, then Wednesday then Tuesday...I ended up drinking all day everyday.

Alcoholism or not, rut or not, if you think it's a problem, then it is I think Chris.

D
Old 06-04-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

I'll be sure to keep you up to speed on my progress.

Thanks again,
Chris
Old 06-04-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Yes, and then the weekends were creeping to Thursday and Sunday. And if I had a vacation day.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Chris! Glad to have you here. Good that you're taking a look at how alcohol affects your life. I wish I had.

I was definitely a weekend warrior - once. Over time I started my weekend drinking on Thursday ('little Friday' we'd call it ). Then there'd be a 'hair of the dog' on Monday. Then it became drinks every evening. Then waking up shaky and needing a little nip to calm the nerves. Finally, all day every day - and a living hell.

So yeah - good job on sorting this out now.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChrisWallace View Post
Hi everyone,

I apologize if this topic has already come up but I was wondering if any of you out there are "just" Weekend Warriors? Here's my week in a nutshell:

Monday: Feelings of guilt, unstable mood...just feeling horrible
Tuesday: Still feeling pretty awful (see Monday)
Wednesday: Starting to feel better but still am promising myself that I won't drink come Friday
Thursday: start to turn the corner...
Friday: WhoooHooooo!! Who wants a shot?!
Saturday: Chasing the high from Friday...but usually coming up short

So, I guess what I'm getting at is that even though I'm "only" drinking two nights out of the week...I still feel like I have a problem because of how crappy I feel in the beginning and even middle parts of the following week.

Does this ring a bell to anyone? Are any of you "just" Weekend Warriors? I know that only I can determine if I have a drinking problem but I'm wondering if anyone out there is in the same boat as me.

Thanks for reading...
I was just like that until it started to go downhill fast.

I started to spiral right after I realized I needed to quit drinking but then drank again after a brief stint of sobriety. Within a few months I was needing to leave work early, drinking in the mornings to feel better, and having multiple blackouts in a day...

Catch it now if you can, because it will only get worse, never better.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It sounds like a lot of serious drinking for one weekend. If you can't cut back then you have a problem. Right now, it sounds like you're drinking far too much. If I were in your shoes, I'd start by cutting out the shots.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's how I was for YEARS. Then I started having a couple of drinks a couple of times during the week (nothing big). Then I had lots of other problems (not related to drinking, but my stress level increased) and I started drinking more. Even quite recently I wasn't drinking more than three times a week. Lately, if I drink AT ALL I end up bingeing, but I certainly wasn't doing that every day.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
instant

Used to be me. Then had to keep nudging it to get me through to the next round. The older i got the more unstable the whole thing became. My off switch became more malfunctional.
Thatnkfully i was able to stop after 10 years of fluctuating trying to quit/moderate.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When I did work, it was in environments (gaming shops) where drugs and alcohol hangovers or lunch breaks were common and even endulged in by managers, so weekends/weekdays were all the same.

When not working, makes no difference what day... so I guess nope.... that wasn't me.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The amount of the week I was hungover or spent recovering was just unreal, such a waste. Liberation from alcoHELL is the most wonderful thing.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I used to be exactly like this, but the "Weekends' got longer, and the "week days" got shorter. Now if I could be a weekend warrior I'd be happy, but I know that's not even possible for me anymore.

It's a slippery slope my friend. Be careful, and good luck to ya...
Old 06-05-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I referred to myself as a weekend warrior with extended weekends. And as 99% of people here it went the same with me too. Started out as mostly Friday's and Saturday's with sporadic beers throughout the week. Then I would drink on Sundays, feeling like crap on Monday's. Stay sober for a day or two then slowly build myself up for Friday and Saturday. It ALWAYS culminated into a sick Monday morning and eventually I got sick of the cycle. And knowing that it will always be a cycle with me is what keeps me sober. I tried forever to break the weekend warrior cycle and I couldn't do it. I could hold things back at times and go all week here and there but the desire was strong and the more I held myself back the stronger I drank when I let go. Alcoholism is progressive. Eventually you'll hit the crossroads.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

And let me add it wasn't the amount I drank or the cycle that made me decide to quit. It was how I felt about myself living this lifestyle and the fact that I couldn't reign it in. I probably had many more years of drinking in me if it wasn't for the guilt I felt about it all. Not all weekend warriors graduate to full time alcoholics but it's a great beginners gig. I want to take back my last sentence saying "you'll hit the crossroads." Only you know if you have a problem. But you are here so....
Old 06-07-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I was more of the long weekend drinker:

Monday: WhoooHooooo!! Who wants a shot?!
Tuesday: WhoooHooooo!! Who wants a shot?!
Wednesday: WhoooHooooo!! Who wants a shot?!
Thursday: WhoooHooooo!! Who wants a shot?!
Saturday: WhoooHooooo!! Who wants a shot?!
Old 06-07-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Kind of where I am, yet again, and kind of where Im trying to keep it. Ive gone through different points-and several points of drinking heavy on workdays as well.

I still struggle with...well beyond the general high, being the center of attention when going downtown. Dressing up in a suit, going downtown with some friends - dancing (or karaoke), and being the center of attention must places I go (in a good way). Alcohol mostly makes me an incredibly positive and friendly person. Its the way I WANT to be normally, I dont know what holds me back sober.

Coming off it, whether on a Sunday or on Monday is an awful experience. Also knowing that I did nothing productive over the weekend other than "have fun" and feel exhausted all week as a result.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
EndGame

For many of us, there comes a time when that "good feeling" is almost completely replaced by near-constant misery.