Notices

Weekend Warriors?

Old 06-10-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by 0percentABV View Post
And let me add it wasn't the amount I drank or the cycle that made me decide to quit. It was how I felt about myself living this lifestyle and the fact that I couldn't reign it in. I probably had many more years of drinking in me if it wasn't for the guilt I felt about it all. Not all weekend warriors graduate to full time alcoholics but it's a great beginners gig. I want to take back my last sentence saying "you'll hit the crossroads." Only you know if you have a problem. But you are here so....
It will get us all in the end. Everyone who I knew who was a boozer is now dead. We can dress it up, we can dress it down, it's a highly addictive poisonous drug, drink enough of it for long enough an it will kill us.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

A lot of people, in their twenties especially, are like this. I don't think it is indicative of an alcohol problem really. Maybe more of a lifestyle issue.. your social circle and routine means you're getting drunk every weekend as an activity. Since you are taking 5 nights off per week I don't think you'd experience withdrawals if you did something different one weekend.

Of course if you feel it is causing problems in your life and you can't control it, that is an alcohol problem no matter how many drinks it is.

I don't agree with the doom and gloom here of how it will creep up on you. As alcoholics that is our experience, but plenty of people get drunk every weekend and don't become full blow daily alcoholics.

Anyway OP sounds like you're doubting yourself a bit so best take some time off, if only for self confidence.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I don't agree with the doom and gloom here of how it will creep up on you. As alcoholics that is our experience, but plenty of people get drunk every weekend and don't become full blow daily alcoholics.

Alcoholics , Never get that word. These People are dependent/trapped and reliant on alcohol , they HAVE to have it to enjoy anything even if its just at the weekend. Ask them not to drink for a couple of weekends, the terror ! The sheep all herd together in Pubs bars at weekends all following each other poisoning themselves ba ba ba
Old 06-11-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I drank on the weekends but it was usually only one day. I felt very depressed and full of anxiety after a night of drinking. Nothing good ever happened, and I usually made a fool of myself. I went out wanting to make friends or meet someone but that never happened. So now I am trying to think of ways to grow and meet new people, but my self-confidence is low and I still feel bad after 13 days of sobriety. I was a binge drinker, and I could never tell how much I would drink.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

For me I realized I had a problem when I was drinking nearly every single day but didn't even realize it
Old 06-13-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I too looked forward to only drinking on the weekends that ritual lasted for countless years. Insidiously and unbeknown to me, my drinking became a daily chore. Then it became uncontrollable and impossible to to go back to only to go back to drinking only on weekends. Stop now and seek help, it only gets worse.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I imagine that this is exactly how all of us fell into alcoholism. None of us started drinking and thought, You know I'll just drink as much as I can every night this way all day, every day, all I think about is how I drank too much last night and how much I want to drink again today. But that's where we all ended up. I know I did.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rennet View Post
A lot of people, in their twenties especially, are like this. I don't think it is indicative of an alcohol problem really. Maybe more of a lifestyle issue.. your social circle and routine means you're getting drunk every weekend as an activity. Since you are taking 5 nights off per week I don't think you'd experience withdrawals if you did something different one weekend.

Of course if you feel it is causing problems in your life and you can't control it, that is an alcohol problem no matter how many drinks it is.

Anyway OP sounds like you're doubting yourself a bit so best take some time off, if only for self confidence.
This is something I'm struggling with. I'm a lot like OP, perhaps a bit further down the track. I know its a real problem and its seriously messing with my life. But because I'm not a "full blown alcoholic" it's always so easy to convince myself "hey maybe I can control it now". There's danger in this. Maybe this is one area being black and white isn't a problem. Maybe having a problem is having a problem, regardless of the degree?
Old 06-16-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm interested in what you see a 'full blown alcoholic' as being BC?

D
Old 06-16-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm interested in what you see a 'full blown alcoholic' as being BC?
Well, I think that term what I'm questioning D. I'm thinking the differentiation is irrelevant. If there is one.

(I was actually quoting Rennet: "but plenty of people get drunk every weekend and don't become full blow daily alcoholics")

As to what that term means to my mind, right now, being honest? Maybe someone who can never go without alcohol - i.e. continuous daily drinker? Someone who drinks to the point of feeling physically very ill (like I do) but then doesn't let up for healing break? Someone who will empty the mini bar in a hotel uncontrollably (I would go and buy a pile of beers and stop when they were gone). Is that difference just better planning?

It's wrong isn't it... That viewpoint. I think the only difference between me and that person is I haven't reached that point yet.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah I think it's a continuum.

I started off a weekend binger, became a week night binger as well, and gradually progressed to drinking all day everyday.

Even tho to say that would have once put a chill in my heart, I think I was an alcoholic in all those stages.

D