Notices

3 years sober and I slipped

Old 05-28-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Soberme84 View Post
I've been lurking this forum for years....
My advice would be to stop lurking and participate in the Sober Recovery Community. A lot. It's a great resource and it's helping to keep me sober.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Just wanted to pop back on and let people know I am continuing my sobriety. It was a silly thing to do after 3 years. But I realized, that's not who I am. Not that falling down drunk guy anymore, nor do I ever want to be again.

Thank you for all the support it really did help

I do need to work out some sort of relief, with non drinking friends, or like Dee mentioned and meet new people volunteering (been thinking about that for awhile) or possibly some sort of therapy.

It's getting late, and that's a brainstorming problem for tomorrow.

Thanks again!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Everyone wants to fit in, just sounds like you were/are trying to fit in with the wrong subset of people for you...the drink for fun bunch...because for alcoholics drinking doesn't lead to fun, it leads to misery.

And it can be no fun to be hanging with a crowd of wasted and half wasted people sober, because sometimes they just come across as crass and stupid when you are not similarly wasted. (that's been my experience)

making sober friends, or hanging out with your other one's when drinking is not involved are probably wise. Makes it easier to fit in.

Sometimes we just have to try a couple new activities to start meeting some new friends. It happens organically when we expose ourselves to new people.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

hi Soberme,

reading your OP, i assume that you can see how the "reasons" you tell yourself for "just one" are not sensible.
and of course it's ridiculous that "it's Monday!!!" is a reason to drink for anyone other than a person who's looking for anything that will do as a supposed reason.

i'm thinking you might find the AVRT stuff useful; it's much concerned with that voice telling you any of this iscabout the day of the week, the job well done, whether you've been good or bad, whether it's 5pm or wednesday or someon just honked their horn.

you can find that technique in the secular connection section farther down.

it's good to see you here, coming out from lurking.