Notices

Here I am, 1 year sober.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here I am, 1 year sober.

Well here I am, one year sober to the day from alcohol, benzos and weed. Things seem to be getting easier. I remember, like it was yesterday, going to detox a year ago. Thinking enough is enough. I somehow made it through the days there, and have kept sober since. It was scary. As a benzo addict and alcoholic, I was shaking like a leaf. I was hallucinating, having extreme panic, pretty much all the classic signs of withdrawal from benzos and booze.

I suppose it started when I was 16. I was at a party, and had about 3 beers to unwind. I guess I really loved the feeling of being drunk. Then, soon after, I started drinking fairly heavily every weekend. By the time I was 18, I was doing 12 beers every day of the week and smoking a lot of pot. By the time I was 19 I was drinking 26-30 ounces of whiskey a day and a few beers, still smoking a lot of pot.

Then I tried getting sober from the booze. I was prescribed valium for the first week of getting sober. For some reason, I guess I switched from one addiction to the other. I got "mildly" addicted to Xanax at first, 0.5 mg a day. I was still smoking a lot of pot, probably an eighth a day.

Over the next 2 years it was a constant battle between sobriety and being not sober. Usually I would take a lorazepam or 2 a day and smoke pot. I fell off the alcohol wagon I guess about 7 times in that period. It never got quite as bad as 30 ounces of whiskey a day again, but it was still daily and heavily.

I was finally sick of it. I knew I had to get completely, and 100% sober. So I moved up to my moms house about 7 hours drive away. I knew she would help me. She persuaded me to go to detox. I reluctantly agreed, knowing deep down I couldn't do this by myself.

I only spent about 9 days in detox. I was scared straight there though. There we're people who had been battling addiction for 30+ years, not 5 years like me. I didn't want to be like that. I didn't want to waste my life being in and out of detox throughout my life. It absolutely terrified me.

After getting out of detox, I stayed with my mom for a few months. Then I moved back down to my dads place. He's a recovering alcoholic too, and we give each other support. Also, he's in fairly frail condition, he's a type one diabetic and has suffered a major heart attack. He needs help with his life, just like I need it with mine.

So, here I am, picking up the pieces of my broken life. I never even finished high school. I suppose I have to do that, I guess I'll re-enroll in August.

I really thank my family for helping me, and I thank those at the detox I went to for helping me see the error of my ways.

Thank you for listening to my story. I hope I'll be sober this time next year.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats bro, great post.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Congratulations to you, Zalfa, on this achievement. Goodonya. You sound like the sort of person who deserves to be sober, you have too much to do! Well done.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Man, that's awesome! Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 05-18-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do you and your father go to AA meetings there in Arnprior?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-18-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good narrative. You certainly have the right attitude about your sobriety.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zalfa View Post

So, here I am, picking up the pieces of my broken life. I never even finished high school. I suppose I have to do that, I guess I'll re-enroll in August.
congratulations on your One Year Sober
and
good luck with your desire for re-enrollment in school

two very large accomplishments
Old 05-18-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on 1 year, what an achievement! Going back to school sounds like a great idea.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Outstanding!
Old 05-18-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

Huge congrats to you!
Old 05-18-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hay awsome story Bro, congrats to you. i am little over 26 weeks sober. it was long difficult road. i wish i had a year like you, but i will get that and make a post similar to yours.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Way to go one year and ODAAT...so proud to hear
Old 05-18-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wonderful...one year and ODAAT! way to go...so proud
Old 06-08-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by zalfa View Post
Well here I am, one year sober to the day from alcohol, benzos and weed. Things seem to be getting easier. I remember, like it was yesterday, going to detox a year ago. Thinking enough is enough. I somehow made it through the days there, and have kept sober since. It was scary. As a benzo addict and alcoholic, I was shaking like a leaf. I was hallucinating, having extreme panic, pretty much all the classic signs of withdrawal from benzos and booze.

I suppose it started when I was 16. I was at a party, and had about 3 beers to unwind. I guess I really loved the feeling of being drunk. Then, soon after, I started drinking fairly heavily every weekend. By the time I was 18, I was doing 12 beers every day of the week and smoking a lot of pot. By the time I was 19 I was drinking 26-30 ounces of whiskey a day and a few beers, still smoking a lot of pot.

Then I tried getting sober from the booze. I was prescribed valium for the first week of getting sober. For some reason, I guess I switched from one addiction to the other. I got "mildly" addicted to Xanax at first, 0.5 mg a day. I was still smoking a lot of pot, probably an eighth a day.

Over the next 2 years it was a constant battle between sobriety and being not sober. Usually I would take a lorazepam or 2 a day and smoke pot. I fell off the alcohol wagon I guess about 7 times in that period. It never got quite as bad as 30 ounces of whiskey a day again, but it was still daily and heavily.

I was finally sick of it. I knew I had to get completely, and 100% sober. So I moved up to my moms house about 7 hours drive away. I knew she would help me. She persuaded me to go to detox. I reluctantly agreed, knowing deep down I couldn't do this by myself.

I only spent about 9 days in detox. I was scared straight there though. There we're people who had been battling addiction for 30+ years, not 5 years like me. I didn't want to be like that. I didn't want to waste my life being in and out of detox throughout my life. It absolutely terrified me.

After getting out of detox, I stayed with my mom for a few months. Then I moved back down to my dads place. He's a recovering alcoholic too, and we give each other support. Also, he's in fairly frail condition, he's a type one diabetic and has suffered a major heart attack. He needs help with his life, just like I need it with mine.

I really thank my family for helping me, and I thank those at the detox I went to for helping me see the error of my ways.

Thank you for listening to my story. I hope I'll be sober this time next year.
Way to go!!! You can do this, and I applaud all the work you have put in so far. You have my support!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Zalfa, Here I am, 1 year sober? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 06-09-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Zalfa...inspiring story. Thank you for sharing. Congratulations on your one year of sobriety!
Old 06-09-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats! One year is HUGE
Old 06-10-2013, 01:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

1 year! WOOHOO! Way to go. Keep up the good work