Notices
View Poll Results: how many meetings do you attend per week ?
6 or more per week
7.55%
3 to 5 per week
21.35%
1 to 2 per week
17.71%
only occasionally
11.46%
never
41.93%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

how many 12 Step Meetings do you attend ?

Old 09-07-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

I hit an early morning AA meeting today
it is Labor Day
probably should have spent the day with the wife since she's off work
then again
if I don't stay sober, I won't have a wife.
MM
Old 09-07-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

I like this in Kris's post: "I do not have to attend meetings everyday but I do need to keep my spiritual footing strong for the rest of my life. How we do that, is up to us and what works for us."

So for me at the moment, that's two or three AA meetings a week but something which helps with a spiritual thing every day, such as a church activity or a workout in the gym.

All very different to when I was drinking every day.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

I attend meetings M-F, but I'm thinking of doing at least one weekend day.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

I attended a 30 day rehab and went to meetings back in 1990 but I wasn't really ready to quit so none of it worked. By around 2008 the withdrawals were starting to get worse and I just woke up one day and decided I was done with it. Threw in the towel for good with nothing but this forum and never looked back. It does seem the desire to quit has to be greater than the desire to drink or it is going to be an uphill battle.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:50 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Up early today and not sure what my day has in store for me.

When I have one of these types of mornings (not sure what I wish to do)
I usually end up at a morning AA meeting.

Helps to keep sobriety fresh on my mind.

M-B
Old 10-13-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Freaked out by the poll as it's usually 2 or 3 for me. (The choice is 1 or 2; or 3 - 5). I therefore can't tick either.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
Freaked out by the poll as it's usually 2 or 3 for me. (The choice is 1 or 2; or 3 - 5). I therefore can't tick either.
I agree a drunk must of put this poll together hey that would be me
Mountainman
Old 10-13-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
I agree a drunk must of put this poll together hey that would be me
Mountainman
Sorry MMB. lol - I'm sure you did it on purpose to get people like me in a dither. It makes me laugh how I can't decide which one to go for - esp seeing as I spent so many years being so dishonest about stuff.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Having had surgery just 6 weeks ago, I am missing my meetings. I was in inpatient rehab til almost 2 weeks ago. I do enjoy the meetings and all the other tools I need on a daily basis. I had been able to attend some church services in the hospital and SR on computer. You do what you can and what is enough.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:19 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kris47 View Post
Having had surgery just 6 weeks ago, I am missing my meetings. I was in inpatient rehab til almost 2 weeks ago. I do enjoy the meetings and all the other tools I need on a daily basis. I had been able to attend some church services in the hospital and SR on computer. You do what you can and what is enough.
Hey Kris - could you (or someone for you) contact your local AA? I'm pretty sure that there's be some people from the fellowship who'd be happy to do a hospital visit for a mini AA meet. You'd be helping them as much as they're helping you
Old 11-07-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

seeing the newcomers come in

how many 12 Step Meetings do you attend ?

About an average of two a week at this time.

Seems to be working
seeing the newcomers come in -- keeps sobriety -- very important to me.
I don't ever wish to return to the suffering.
For sure the MountainLady would not be here if I was drinking today.

MM
Old 11-07-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

I attend 5-6 a week. I love my group and the fellowship, usually go 30-40 minutes early to BS with all my friends. It's part of my life now and wouldn't change it for the world! Thanks for the thread, MountainBob!
Old 11-07-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

I did my 90/90 a few years ago after a slip and all that happened was i increased my stress level to the limit as i had to work odd hours..
For some it is necessary to focus on getting to a meeting as a distraction from alcohol, but i have seen many mixed up fragile and confused people since during a 90/90 who seem to be easy meat for the co-dependent fixers who linger after the meeting selling God.
Nowadays i can get along with a meeting once every few weeks, i like to do stuff in moderation not obssesively - i didnt quit drinking to spend my life in meetings listening to the same people sharing the same emotional anxieties year after year..
Old 11-07-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Powerless1957 View Post

i didnt quit drinking to spend my life in meetings listening to the same people sharing the same emotional anxieties year after year..
Twice when I completely quit going
I drank once again.
Does one have to attend AA so as to stay sober -- no.
But, it seems to help many.
That's why, I still go occasionally.
8 years it's been working this time.
Mountainmanbob
Old 11-07-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
Hey Kris - could you (or someone for you) contact your local AA? I'm pretty sure that there's be some people from the fellowship who'd be happy to do a hospital visit for a mini AA meet. You'd be helping them as much as they're helping you
Thanks, Beccy!

I shoulda, coulda done this but our meetings are anywhere from an hour or more in travel. Several people did call me and sent cards. I also needed aggressive therapy on my knee.

Thankfully, I am now close to meetings and look forward to attending them again.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

I hit a meeting yesterday.
The topic was fear.
Fear is talked about a lot in AA.
I'm not that big on it but, I did share when called on.

The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.
My sponsor likes to replace the word fear with the word respect.
That is of great help for many.

MM
Old 11-11-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

I attended my first meeting again since TKR. It felt good to see all the recovering people and me recovering from dual things. The recovery for both is now going good. I had missed the meetings.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
I hit a meeting yesterday.
The topic was fear.
Fear is talked about a lot in AA.
I'm not that big on it but, I did share when called on.

The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.
My sponsor likes to replace the word fear with the word respect.
That is of great help for many.

MM
Respect and trust and obedience.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

to each their own

as a recovered alcoholic I go to meetings because it's my responsibility to carry the message to the alcoholic who suffers putting my recovery and God first is a necessity I don't have to go to a meeting every day today I want to go to a meeting to be of help to be of service to others I have a homegroup and a couple groups that I like to attend frequently I travel to a lot of different meetings but if you read page 17 there's a solution they explained to us that meetings are only one element in the powerful cement which binds us that in itself just meetings alone are insufficient the 12 steps in combination with meetings will help us recreate our lives that's if you identify with being an alcoholic who wants to get better once we have identified with others and can be honest with ourselves that we are alcoholic and our life is unmanageable there's nothing left but to get down to business and take the steps... what is a homegroup it's a place where I can make a commitment to be there every week so people can get to know me they can look me in the eyes why is that important because relapse is a process picking up is the last thing that happens in that process we relapse days weeks or months before picking up we start to act and behave like we did before we start to isolate we start going to less meetings so if I go to my group or any other meeting if someone says how are you and I say OK they can look me in the eye and say b******* you're swearing more you're very irritable stuff like that and that can save my life catching the mental states that precede a relapse because it's our thinking that is the problem getting to know people having them get to know you realizing we are not unique we are not alone we are all alike and we are the only ones that can help us the counselor who got a college degree do not sit in the chair across from me and tell me he knows how I feel No you do not know how it is to live in a dumpster to steal from your grandmother but an alcoholic or an addict is well prepared to help another alcoholic or addict and those of us who have recovered can guide others through the steps so that they can recreate their life discover one day at a time why is that important because I lived in two worlds I lived and was a slave to my past filled with regret and resentment when I wasn't owned by my past I was in the future filled with anxiety in anticipation I was never here I was never now steps 4 through 7 helped me to face and be rid of the things in myself that were blocking me from the sunlight of the Spirit and I have discovered one day at a time practicing steps 10 11 and 12 one day at a time continuing to take inventory praying and meditating to a God of my understanding and helping others my life depends on the constant thought of others and how I may help meet their needs that's my experience
Old 11-11-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

SR is my 12 step program.