Notices

Advise

Old 04-14-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advise

Good Morning all,
Just had a few questions. I finished last bottle of wine at 1am. First time in 2 weeks I did not go get any more. Before I went to bed I took tons valerian root and St. Johns Wart. I know last time I went through withdrawals it was 4 hours after last drink. Its 8:41 I feel great just came back from the gym and did laundry. I s it possible that I wont go through the withdrawals? And does anyone get gas from Valerian root? Have weird shooting pains it may be that. Wishing everyone a beautiful sober day
Old 04-14-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you should not take "tons" of valerian root or other herbal supplements.

you stopped drinking a 1AM less than 8 hours ago, did not sleep much and are up and functioning that is good....what are you going to do when the urge to drink happens in a few hours?

you have to have an action plan to counter the urges to start the cycle again.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am actually taking my dad out to lunch and we will probably bring my dog to the park. Need alternatives for anxiety other then alcohol.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Fandy...what are you going to do when the urge to drink happens in a few hours? You have to have an action plan to counter the urges to start the cycle again.

I am glad you are feeling OK, and appreciate you wishing me a beautiful sober day.

Your questions were?
1. Withdrawals? It depends on what, how much, how long? I hope you fare well.
2. Gas from Valerian root? I have to agree with Fandy again. It is probably best to not take 'tons' of herbal supplements. Excessive use of anything to over-medicate problems we have caused ourselves in an attempt to quick-fix our problems is one of the major roots of addictive behavior.

If you believe you have a problem with addictive use and behavior, and if you are Lost and/or Confused, this is a great place to be. It has been a lifesaver for me. Maybe try meditating, letting go of the rush for a quick-fix, do an honest assessment of your current situation as it pertains to a possible life-controlling addiction, pray...for perspective and guidance...not a fairy godmother prayer for another quick-fix, and do focus on an action plan to counter the urges when they surface to start the cycle again.

Keep posting, I would like to hear more from you.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also concur with Fandy. No offense, but you seem to have some very short-sighted thinking. You are trying to patch up a 'recovery' after a night of drinking with duct tape and bubble gum.

You are worried about taking too much valerian root? You should probably focus on stopping guzzling all that wine. The fact that you didn't go out and buy a bottle of wine at 1am is good - but if that's what you are hanging your hat on, you need to stop and focus on the big picture. I wish you all the luck in the world but there needs to be a plan to quit. The pangs in your guts could be associated with withdrawl, I know that happened to me. Good luck, and get serious. Sorry to be a 'tough-love' poster here but someone's gotta be that guy!
Old 04-14-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alkie

Originally Posted by LostConfused View Post
Good Morning all,
Just had a few questions. I finished last bottle of wine at 1am. First time in 2 weeks I did not go get any more. ...
Once upon a time, drunks weren't allowed to share unless they had 24 hours clean and sober. That's the bare minimum to allow the booze to get out of your system.

I'm impressed you still have internet access, a dog, and a father, though. When I finally quit, I had nothing but a low paying job, a single room and bus fare.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I appreciate all of the positive and honest feedback. The quick-fix wit supplements obviously doesnt cure alcoholism. With that being said I just wanted to use it to prevent withdrawals. I do know I need a strategy and a plan. I have a very-addictive personality including working out. Reading these forums is very helpful. It was the main reason I didn't get more wine. Thank you guys once again
Old 04-14-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It will get more difficult, that I can tell you. The anxiety and cravings will reintroduce themselves with a vengeance and you will begin to struggle. If you do not have a real commitment and a plan to stay sober, you will lose. I've been there many times. My commitment to sobriety got me through this period and the work was well worth it. I'm so much better off now, and I do not want to go back to those "next day regrets" any more. Stay strong!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Loner - Thankfully I didn't lose job, family or much money. I have a great career and didn't drink during the day. With that being said on the weekends I was drinking 1 bottle each day and even if I didn't have severe consequences, yet ..I know they are not far behind. As a psychologist I recognize drinking socially is one thing but drinking to not have anxiety is a huge problem. I think I am coming off wrong here, but I know I have a problem and I know I need a plan to maintain sobriety. I have not been drinking for that long so I think it is a good thing if I nip it in the but now.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ty Beatle
Old 04-14-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

LostConfused: Congratulations on feeling good this morning. Starting off your day with some exercise seems like a great idea and I wish you strength and resolve today. You can do this (and I'm repeating the same thing to myself)! If you're worried about withdrawal, I hope that you'll consider getting medical attention if the symptoms get bad. Like the others, please be careful with the herbal supplements! Your liver is in a delicate state from all of that alcohol. Although valerian is not particularly known for causing damage, there have been rare reports, especially when combined with other herbs found in sleep aids. I know this because I've taken valerian for insomnia and am always cautious about all of the other stuff I'm taking, given my drinking habits. I'm trying to ween myself off the valerian because I don't want it to be my "new drug" and hopefully, you will do the same when you get some confidence with handling your anxiety. Have a wonderful day.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Alkie

Originally Posted by LostConfused View Post
Loner - Thankfully I didn't lose job, family or much money. I have a great career and didn't drink during the day. With that being said on the weekends I was drinking 1 bottle each day and even if I didn't have severe consequences, yet ..I know they are not far behind.

As a psychologist I recognize drinking socially is one thing but drinking to not have anxiety is a huge problem. I think I am coming off wrong here, but I know I have a problem and I know I need a plan to maintain sobriety.

I have not been drinking for that long so I think it is a good thing if I nip it in the but now.
You need to get to a real meeting in your neighborhood. Your peers will straighten you out quick enough. In short, though, for every different type of person, there's a different type of alcoholism.

That said, and no offense meant, I'm amazed at all the anxiety over anxiety here. Of course we're anxious. Most of us are huge losers in one way or the other and deserve all the anxiety we get. Stop failing yourself and you'll be surprised how quickly the anxiety disappears.

In my long sobriety, I've screwed up more things than most people do in their lives. Do I feel bad about them all? Yep. Anxious? Yep. Can I change what I did? Nope. Will I make more mistakes/the same mistakes? Yep.

Am I human? I am. Will being human cause me to drink or use? Nope. Why won't it cause me to drink, you ask. Well, because drinking and drugging will cause even more anxiety in my already over-dramatic life. It would be counter-productive.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LonerMan View Post
Once upon a time, drunks weren't allowed to share unless they had 24 hours clean and sober. That's the bare minimum to allow the booze to get out of your system.
Why is the OP "not allowed" to share? Because he drank last night? Whose rule is this? Last time I checked the OP doesn't work for you.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am a female . What is op? I am sorry if I offended anyone or broke any rules, I just thought instead of just reading, writing would help me.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

And Loner ty for the good info...I am going to an AA after work tomorrow Its 2 blocks away from my job.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sorry - "OP" is "original poster". I did not know you were female, just used a generic term. I was getting a bit off topic though with that, I am sorry. As others have said, concocting a plan to quit is the first step in this process. Glad you are taking steps to make that happen!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Lol, that's ok. I just realized I dont re read what I type so sorry for the 100 misspells. I am starting to feel a little shaky but nothing intolerable.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Please stay with Sober Recovery. It has been a Life Saver for me. I have posted some off-topic things at times, I have had some posts directed to me that seemed like negative comments and reactions, but hey, each of us are working on our own Sober Recovery. If you post something that is against the rules, a moderator will inform you.

You belong here as much as me or anybody else!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you for the warm welcome. Even If I get intimidated to post, reading others is so unbelievably helpful. I went back to the gym and now gonna do the hot shower. I have spent the last 3 hours reading what others had to say. The thought of drinking didn't enter my mind. I did get useful tips on dealing with stress and just praying that this is the end
Old 04-14-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Lost

I always recommend peeps see their Dr before starting any supplements. Not all supplements are useful for everyone, and more is not always better.

I also agree with others here - I think you need to attack the root cause here and not the symptoms - I'm glad you've gotten something out of our community already

hope to see you around some more
__________________________________________________ ______

Welcome to you too LonerMan

Most of us are huge losers in one way or the other and deserve all the anxiety we get.
Actually thinking I was a real loser was one of the hallmarks of my addiction - I have a more measured perspective on myself today in recovery, Loner Man

I'm really glad you sorted out your anxiety - for many of us the story is a little different though.

My anxiety was crippling - and I certainly did not deserve it.

I think, no matter how much sober time we have, we can learn a lot if we open ourselves to others stories here. I certainly have....there's no 24 hour rule here and never will be

D