Notices

I really don't miss it.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I really don't miss it.

Today is something like day 22. I don't know, I don't feel compelled to count. The day I quit drinking it was literally like a door between the drinking past and the sober future closed and I just moved forward. Please don't think I wasn't in a bad place. Or that I was just drinking recreationally. My life was in shambles.

The ease with which I quit was actually very strange! I didn't even feel like this while pregnant. During pregnancy I was white-knuckling it for nine months and the moment my son came into this world I only thought about my next drink. It took me four years after that day and a LOT of heartache to get to this point. But I'm HERE and SOBER and HAPPY.

To an old friend, my life might look quite boring, but I enjoy the routine, I enjoy paying attention to details I've never noticed. The subtle changes of my young son's speech and carriage. The weather. Smelling things! I never realized how much booze KILLS taste and smell. I can smell a beer on someone from across a room and it's not a very pleasant smell. I enjoy resting- really resting. I once again enjoy taking CARE of myself. (Flossing at night before bed! How novel!)

I just wanted to share. I think this goes to show that when you really are ready to quit, you REALLY are ready to quit.

I do use AVRT, and I check in here CONSTANTLY. But I'm done. Just flat-out done with inebriation.

There are moments where my AV tries to get me back into the bar. But that's normal and like any other craving, deep breaths, distractions, time and postive thinking make it all right again.

Have a good weekend, everybody!
Old 04-14-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Interestingly, I'm watching a movie right now in which one of the characters (Mickey Rourke in Iron Man 2, specifically) just took a giant swig of vodka from the bottle. The sight and thought of it actually made me sick to my stomach for a moment. Ugh.

Also, I went out with a couple of friends the other night and, while the two of them both got a little twisted, I was perfectly content sipping on Diet Coke and watching all the people around me. (This is probably helped by the fact that I never drank around people anyway--I always got drunk alone.)

Anyway, just thought I'd share.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm very happy for you. Congrats on the 22 days and I hope your amazing attitude continues to grow!