Notices

Brain question

Old 05-10-2004, 09:18 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Re: Brain question

Brain exercises are good for recovery...and I can assure you, anything to do with math beyond basic retail arithmetic functions would be a real exercise for me!
Don
Old 05-10-2004, 04:08 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

i expurgated so hard, my binomials was coruscatin'!!
Old 05-10-2004, 05:02 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the input so far.......and the chatter lmao!!...At least I know I am not the only nut on the board lol.

steve
Old 05-10-2004, 05:10 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

heh steve
thanks for havin a sense of humor-
i'm exercising mine, because even tho i have [or THINK I HAVE] gotten lots of mental stuff back, its my sense of humor that still feels atrophied...
later
mackat
Old 05-10-2004, 05:18 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by labyrinth
Thanks for all the input so far.......and the chatter lmao!!...At least I know I am not the only nut on the board lol.
steve
You might just be the sanest one of the crew Steve! How's it going anyway?
Old 05-10-2004, 05:20 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
To Life!

Well, Chy:
To answer this statement:
"Anyone want to discuss differential equations, quadratic functions or theory of Pythagoras, whip it out, though it would be a real long stretch as it realtes to recovery!"
The solution is not that difficult. Pythagoras believed everything on earth and sky was related by numbers. He saw numbers in everything. I think it's like the movie, A Beautiful Mind. So, wouldn't addiction and recovery fall under "everything?" I bet you could think of ways if you tried; or Dan or Don could. I am a simple history teacher. Don't understand the math at all; indeed, I am phobic about it, hehehe. But I have no doubt that there is a way.
Shalom!
Old 05-10-2004, 07:08 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Dan

Quadratic...those the big muscles on the back of my legs?
Let's see...a2xb2=c2 right? Ok then. So if my lilac shrub has got some microsphaera alni on it, does it necessarily follow that the thing will come down with a case of leafroll necrosis? Just wondering.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:28 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Quadratic lol !
taint neccessarily so- but might check those biorythms- and whaddya mean i was doin stuff w/ dead folk!! you been talkin to my sponsor?!?
Old 05-10-2004, 07:55 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

During my drinking days I had an obstreperous manner when confronted with my problem. Expurgation would have sincerely helped my expressions of protest.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:50 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Chy

ROTFLMAO... we're not a glum lot afterall!
Old 05-11-2004, 01:01 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Salvador Doggie

Hey guys,

I've been thinking. My sponsor always says "O no." when I say this.
But really. I hear people say they get scared of their own thoughts and others like to say, "my best thinking got me here" and stuff like this.

Well lately I'm more and more comfortable with my thoughts. I think some people early in recovery would be glad to hear that our minds and thoughts can really be our friends after we get over the initial periods of PAWS. It takes some time and effort, but it is quite remarkable how resilient we humans can be. Today I have been blessed with a new perspective of possibilities that alcoholism kept me obfuscated (new word for the game) from for over half of my life.

I think it is interesting how many recovering alcoholics become overachievers after the reckage has been cleared from their lives. Making up for lost time? Mabey. But I can't help but marvel how, with a little persistance, there are so many outstanding students and acheivers I have met in the last year and a half in my recovery support groups.

I think it is time we start giving ourselves (and higher powers when applicable) some credit to the healthy and exceptional clear thinking we can all rise to.
I love reading from all you guys here. I think each and every one of you should give yourself a big congratulatory handshake and commend yourselves for your exellent thinking today. Even if you are on day 2 or year twenty. You have come a long way.

Now here is a fun Brain stimulator.
Use your brain to escape The Crimson Room

This kind of stuff can be fun and also distracting if you need something to stimulate your brain and take your mind out of a hard night of temptation as well.

It starts with you waking up with a hangover and trying to escape a puzzleing predicament by using only your intellectual skills.

If you like this, there is also a sequel that is more difficult.

I hope you like this labrynth and all. Sorry if it isn't completely recovery or "program" related. I thought it might be a fun challenge.

Lets all stay sober today for another 24 hours. We can do this together.

Rudiger
Old 05-11-2004, 01:12 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

50 points for obfuscated!
I've never liked the phrase 'your best thinking got you here...'
By definition, in my opinion if that's where it got you, it wasn't your best thinking....
And we can change our thinking.
Since I don't like absolute words like 'best' I prefer to say that my current thinking leads to healthy behavior and rational choices.
"It takes some time and effort, but it is quite remarkable how resilient we humans can be." Very true, and grounds for hope for those in early sobriety. Thanks for posting!
Don S

Now if I can download the right version of Shockwave I can go see if I can navigate out of the hangover labyrinth....
Old 05-11-2004, 03:40 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mackat
Quadratic lol !
taint neccessarily so- but might check those biorythms- and whaddya mean i was doin stuff w/ dead folk!! you been talkin to my sponsor?!?
ROTFLMAO!!!!
Old 05-11-2004, 06:40 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Dan

Well Don, far be it from me to be obstruent to any exercise aimed at restoring synaptic function to my neurasthenia affected brain. But I must confess to my insuperable nature and ask again about my shrubbery.
I think...
Old 05-11-2004, 05:17 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Dan

Rudiger,
The Crimson Room trapped me.
Thanks for that.
:LMAO
I had to come back and edit this...
That link is absolutely priceless people!
Talk about thinking out of the box...

Last edited by Dan; 05-11-2004 at 06:42 PM. Reason: 'Cause it's a cool link!
Old 05-11-2004, 11:19 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
Quadratic...those the big muscles on the back of my legs?
Let's see...a2xb2=c2 right? Ok then. So if my lilac shrub has got some microsphaera alni on it, does it necessarily follow that the thing will come down with a case of leafroll necrosis? Just wondering.
Since Microsphaera alni infects subcutaneously, even the assiduous application of topical mycocides on a fortnightly basis (adhere to the precautionary statements!) will not prevent the visible scurfiness. But the symptomatology is irregular, rather than 'leafroll', with necrosis unlikely.
Adopting the 'disease triangle' paradigm, consider the environmental factors as paramount in management, rather than host or organism.
Besides, all da good chemicals is been banned by da gubmint.
Don S
Old 05-12-2004, 02:57 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
To Life!

HUH??? What did you say???
You're giving me a :headache:
The only thing I understood was the last line! LOL!

Shalom!
Old 05-12-2004, 04:03 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Don S
Since Microsphaera alni infects subcutaneously, even the assiduous application of topical mycocides on a fortnightly basis (adhere to the precautionary statements!) will not prevent the visible scurfiness. But the symptomatology is irregular, rather than 'leafroll', with necrosis unlikely.
Adopting the 'disease triangle' paradigm, consider the environmental factors as paramount in management, rather than host or organism.
Besides, all da good chemicals is been banned by da gubmint.
Don S
Yeah, figured. I got a brain cramp now...
Old 05-12-2004, 09:36 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by historyteach
HUH??? What did you say???
You're giving me a :headache:
The only thing I understood was the last line! LOL!

Shalom!
The powdery mildew on his lilacs isn't causing the leaves to roll up and die. Fungicides don't do much good because mildew is somewhat unusual in that it infects under the 'skin' of the leaf. He probably has them planted in too much shade. Older fungicides worked better, but they've been taken off the market.

Just proving that every industry has its own jargon....and we can make ourselves look eddycated by expostulating polysyllabically. Polysyllabously?
Don
Old 05-12-2004, 02:59 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

hee hee
good to hear even th jargon- i worked waaaay too long with crews whose only use of any polysyllabic word was when it was prefaced with the word:"mutha"!!!
mackat