Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

So ashamed that I keep hiding my drinking from my husband

Notices

So ashamed that I keep hiding my drinking from my husband

Old 04-16-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhyNot247 View Post
Fallgirl, I'd love to send you a private message but I don't have enough posts yet...which is why I'm posting now
We have a lot in common. I, too, am a writer; and I, too, hid as much as I could from my hubby and my kids. I hope you come back and let us know how you're doing!
Keep on posting, maybe we can talk soon!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kiki26 View Post
I hid constantly. I thought I was so sneaky but when I finally told the truth my fiancé knew, he just wanted to believe i would get better. I told him many times that I was quitting. But like you I would quit for a day or two until he wasn't so mad, then I would go back to my routine of sneaking and lying. All I know is for me it only has stuck this time because I wanted to quit. Not my fiancé begging me, or my mothers disappointment, nothing anyone did or said could keep me sober. I had to finally have enough. I hit so many bottoms and didn't stop, this time I just was sick of it. I wanted to quit more than I wanted to continue my life. Keep coming back sober recovery has helped me a lot
You sound so much like me! I always felt so horrible when I would pick up the drink again, a day or two after confessing to my husband, and then the lies and hiding would begin, of course. It's so nice knowing that there are people on here who share my experiences (almost frighteningly so)! I will continue seeking this forum out. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Fallgirl, most of us have been where you are.

I thought I had hidden my drinking from my family, too. I came home from work one day and was on my usual 3rd or 4th or 9th cocktail. My kids were building a home-made boat out of sticks, leaves, and whatever they could find in the yard to float on a pond next to the house. Through the screen door I overheard my daughter ask my son if they should come get Dad to help. My son answered "He won't be able to. He's already had some bourbons." It broke my heart. Like I had been shot. I quit that night.

You can do it, too.