Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Need help, have been gone some time, but really need some advice.

Notices

Old 04-16-2013, 03:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I had a problem with lorazepam, but I have panic attacks and still take it, but since then I have developed another issue and that is drinking daily. Or I should say nightly. I want to quit drinking, but afraid to go cold turkey because of my minimal knowledge of being protected from withdrawals by the lorazepam. This has gotten bad and I do not want to speak with a doctor about this, the area I live in is very limited in good medical knowledge or good knowledge at all about benzos. Any input would be appreciated as to should I just wean myself off alcohol or just stop. Thank You
Old 04-16-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I didn't start drinking alcoholically until after being prescribed benzos after a health scare. I really think they accelerated my drinking and have seen a lot of anecdotal evidence to support this. Lorazepam is used in detox to lessen withdrawal symptoms. Mixing a benzo with alcohol is one of the most dangerous combinations of substances you could possibly put in your body. Please find a doctor who will address this and stop drinking. It is possible. After 4 years of taking benzos, I've been off them for over a year.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Call your local Narcotics Anonymous number in the phone book and tell them your story.

They'll give you some good advice.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-16-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dawnmha

We can't give you medical advice here - it's against our rules, it's in your best interests, and I've removed some posts under that rule.

I'm not sure why things are so bad in Iowa but I'm sure going to a medical professional is likely to be a better bet than an internet forum.

There are a lot of free or low cost clinics around - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics
The 10377 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
2-1-1 Call Center Search

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
D