Notices

Sleeping issues

Old 01-22-2013, 10:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleeping issues

Can anyone guesstimate how long the insomnia lasts? Just after midnight my time so technically just began day 4. Early days, obviously. But I know from past experience that this is a potential trigger and would like a loose estimate based on *your* experience of how long I need to be prepared to man up and deal with this especially weak spot of mine.
Sorry if I missed a previous thread. Still getting the hang of navigating the site on my phone...
Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It depends on many, many factors -- how long you've been drinking, how much, and how many times you've tried to get sober, amongst much else.

Just to say that I have chronic insomnia that, in the long term, was only made worse by my drinking, so I feel for you!

Hang in there, and stay sober, even if it means counting the bumps on your popcorn ceiling!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
CastAwayWolf

Mrscoach2256-I know what you are going through with the sleep issues.

I quit 4 days ago as well and have not slept more than a few hours since. When I do manage to doze off, I wake up suddenly in an awful state of anxiety. Having vivid dreams that make me jerk awake as well.

I tried taking some OTC sleep medication but it didn't help. My other symptoms were terrible nausea, chills/sweats and hands shaking but those are getting better.

I don't know how long the insomnia will last but I feel like I'm going to go crazy if I don't sleep soon.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

insomnia sucks...only slept one hour tonight on day 2. hopefully we'll both get some more tomorrow night
Old 01-23-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am on Day 23, and have glorious sleep now. I drank a ton of valerian tea in the beginning, and I did take an OTC sleep aid the first week. Now, I don't need anything.

Good luck to you. The worst will be over soon.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm on day 28 and just woke up from 6 hours of interrupted sleep. I noticed my sleep getting better after the 2nd week sober
Old 01-23-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As Andante said, lots of factors involved. Most times I put down the bottle I start actually getting good sleep around two weeks. But insomnia is pretty high up there on the list of PAWS symptoms, so even after you start getting good sleep you will probably have good nights and less good nights. Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) didn't make me sleepy, but made it easier to doze off once I got sleepy. These were my experiences anyway.

Stay strong and don't let the insomnia hold you back!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I went through a lot of sleep issues, too. For me, it took a long long time. It really does differ from person to person. I was also doing a lot of drugs, and the last time I had some severe sleep issues I didn't sleep more than an hour a night for 5-6 weeks. I do not wish that upon anyone.

I'd see your doctor.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I was up for four days in my last detox. And then it was an hour here, a few hours there of sleep. It wasn't until about a week later that I had my first full sleep, without the aids of any drugs (drugs were the last thing I wanted in my body by then). It does take time for your mind and body to rebound.

Got lots of reading done, thought.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
CastAwayWolf

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by paul99 View Post
Got lots of reading done, thought.
Yep I've been reading a lot too. Neglected my reading and movie watching when I was using/drinking so I have a lot of catching up to do!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The fact that an alcoholic really doesn't want to hear and most times finds hard to accept is that you really won't know how long your sleep problem will last until you have done it yourself to completion and look back on the experience.

Most of recovery is that way to me.

When I was in the recovery home in 1989 I didn't sleep for days either in the beginning.
They compassionately told me that nobody had died there yet from lack of sleep and things would likely be the same for me too.

That "early recovery" hurt real bad and I decided to do what I had to do so I wouldn't have to do it again. I did/do AA.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-23-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I didn't sleep well during my drinking. Like many here, I didn't fall asleep, but simply passed out only to awaken hours later and then toss and turn from that point on. When i first quit, the first night was terrible; very vivid dreams and I would jerk awake as if my body was waking me up intentionally to get another drink. Day two was a little better but still very rough..day three a little better... By day 7 I slept throughout the night without awaking for the first time in years. Now I sleep like a baby!! My years of sleeping problems were caused exclusively by alcohol.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mrscoach2256 View Post
Can anyone guesstimate how long the insomnia lasts? Just after midnight my time so technically just began day 4. Early days, obviously. But I know from past experience that this is a potential trigger and would like a loose estimate based on *your* experience of how long I need to be prepared to man up and deal with this especially weak spot of mine.
Sorry if I missed a previous thread. Still getting the hang of navigating the site on my phone...
You're doing great! Congrats on reaching Day 4.

Unfortunately, I can't accurately estimate how long you'll have problems falling asleep. But I can say that it lasted a long time with me... heck, I still can't fall asleep as fast as I'd like.

I've always had a mind that seemed to have issues "shutting down."

You know... the whole 'voice in the head' thing... I'd be talking to myself non-stop.

That was actually one of the first reasons that I started drinking regularly -- to quiet my mind enough so that I could fall asleep faster at night.

I see you've used the word "insomnia" in your post.

Are you saying that you can't fall asleep at all, or that it's just taking a bit longer than it used to (when you were drinking)?

I only ask because, though I still can't fall asleep on command (or as fast as I'd like to) I wouldn't say that I have insomnia.

I just can't flip a switch and turn off my mind.

A relaxation technique I've had some success with over the last 6 months or so involves placing all of your attention on your breathing.

When you're in bed, position yourself so you're laying on your back.

Place one hand on your chest, the other... on your stomach, just below your belly button.

Start taking slow, deep, controlled breaths... and pay attention to your hands. Which hand is moving? The one on your chest? The one on your lower stomach? Both?

The idea is to take deep breaths while your top hand (the one on your chest) remains perfectly still. Your bottom hand should be the only one that's moving as you inhale and exhale.

It'll probably feel a little weird at first, as most of us are so used to breathing into our chests... but give it a try if you'd like.

I do this every night right when I get into bed... and I usually go up to 15 - 20 deep breaths.

Am I asleep by that time?

Haha, I wish! I'm a side-sleeper... so after I've calmed myself down with this breathing technique, I gently roll to one side, and by then I'm much closer to drifting off than I would've been before I learned about this.

And if you're curious, I picked this up when I first started practicing Tai Chi. Thought it was goofy at first, but it works for me.

Anyway, do your best to stay positive as you continue down the path of sobriety.

You're on day 4. Take it one day at a time, and soon enough you'll be on day 400.

To living sober,

Jake D.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lasted over 3 months for me..going on 4 months sober and have been sleeping like a baby the last week. The lose of sleep was well worth my soberity. I love being sober.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Klp9999 View Post
Lasted over 3 months for me..going on 4 months sober and have been sleeping like a baby the last week. The lose of sleep was well worth my soberity. I love being sober.
Hey Klp,

Awesome to hear that you've learned to love being sober!

Couldn't agree with you more... every discomfort in the beginning is certainly worth the reward of not depending on it down the road.

I don't even have to know you personally to be proud of you for coming up on 4 solid months of sobriety. Keep it up!

Jake D.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I would have insomnia whenever I quit drinking. A part of the problem was that I often used alcohol at night to relax and go to sleep.

Now I often have the opposite problem, staying awake past 10 p.m., getting sober and getting older will do that to you I guess. I might add that joined the YMCA and I'm there engaging in some type of physical activity probably 4 days a week. Exercise is a great cure for insomnia.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
I might add that joined the YMCA and I'm there engaging in some type of physical activity probably 4 days a week. Exercise is a great cure for insomnia.
That's great, Zebra!

I love it when I hear about others making exercise a regular part of their schedule, because I've believed in it for so long.

It's just not a complete day for me without at least a little exercise.

I'd also like to add:

Exercise is great for helping your body to calm down naturally for a restful night's sleep (nothing beats a run for me -- probably from breathing all that fresh air)... but there has to be enough of a "gap" between your exercise session and the time you go to bed for it to really work.

I mean I'm no expert, but I've made the mistake myself of exercising too close to bedtime. Haha, then I'm all pumped up and ready to get stuff done when it's time to turn in.

Anyway, thought I'd throw that in there.

Have fun at the Y, Zebra!

Jake D.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TiredWolf View Post
Mrscoach2256-I know what you are going through with the sleep issues.

I quit 4 days ago as well and have not slept more than a few hours since. When I do manage to doze off, I wake up suddenly in an awful state of anxiety. Having vivid dreams that make me jerk awake as well.

I tried taking some OTC sleep medication but it didn't help. My other symptoms were terrible nausea, chills/sweats and hands shaking but those are getting better.

I don't know how long the insomnia will last but I feel like I'm going to go crazy if I don't sleep soon.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but at over five months that still happens to me. I'll jolt awake and sometimes jump out of bed and turn the light on. I don't know why I do it, it's like I'm still half asleep and feel in danger or something.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
CastAwayWolf

Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
it's like I'm still half asleep and feel in danger or something.
That's exactly what's going on with me-almost like I wake up ready to fight off something that isn't there.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You are not alone, I am early in sobriety as well and here I am...2:00 in the morning, wide awake! I jump out of bed with anxiety and there is 0% chance of sleeping, so I just go with it-hoping its normal.