Notices

Sleeping issues

Old 01-25-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wow, folks! The jerking awake sounds awful! The first couple of days I was a little twitchy but nothing that would give me a zap of adrenalin. I'm so sorry.
I'm just awake. So tired but awake. I'll try to read myself to sleep and will start to doze...nope, still awake. I'll manage a couple cat naps but have vivid (and incredibly strange) dreams. That being said, I slept for 4 hours last night! Woohoo! O happy day! If that cycle repeats I can absolutely battle that. 5 days of Blech then finally so exhausted I grab a bit of shut eye. Yep, I can do that - especially since I know it will eventually get better.
I've been trying to work enough during the day so that I'm physically wore out at night, eating dinner earlier with a snack later (whole grain toast, small bowl of cereal, last night was banana bread, etc.) very, very little caffeine, and, unfortunately, avoiding naps. I'd adore a nap! Wouldn't most adults? It know it will get better; I'm not at all upset, just really looking forward to feeling well rested. (Hydrated AND well rested? Livin' large!)
Old 01-25-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mrscoach2256 View Post
I slept for 4 hours last night! Woohoo!
Hey, way to go! Probably not the restful night's sleep you're looking for, but it's better than nothing. You'll get there.

especially since I know it will eventually get better.
Excellent mindset!

I've been trying to work enough during the day so that I'm physically wore out at night
It was so important for me to do this in the beginning. Exercise combined with fresh air was the thing that got me that natural tired feeling by the end of the day (as long as I didn't do it too late in the afternoon/evening -- then it seemed to have the opposite effect).

very little caffeine
Another smart move.

When I first sobered up, social anxiety was a huge thing for me. It was one of the things I used alcohol to cover up... take away the booze, and BOOM -- anxiety.

One of the worst things I did in the beginning was try and replace alcohol consumption with caffeine consumption.

Looking back, I don't even know why I did it... but I ended up completely removing that from my life as well. Soon as I found out that it can make an anxious person even more anxious, no more caffeine for this guy.

Anyway, I'm glad you're limiting yourself to as little as possible... especially during this period of sleep trouble.

Hydrated AND well rested? Livin' large!)
Yup, that's what you've got to look forward to!

Glad you're drinking water -- it's so important to our overall health and the strength of our immune systems.

My girlfriend doesn't drink enough of it... she's a pop/soda girl... loves her Mountain Dew.

Always talks about her urine being yellow and smelling bad... uh, duh... drink more water.

Haha, then she'll complain about how it's hard to drink water because it doesn't taste good -- "it tastes like nothing!" she says.

And she wonders why I only get sick like once for every 5 or 6 times she comes down with something... I drink water, and lots of it.

Anyway, I'm lovin' your outlook right now -- you're definitely heading down the right path.

To living sober,

Jake D.