Notices

Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome

Old 01-15-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome

Hi
I just quit drinking last Friday and am experiencing fluctuating blood pressure and severe headaches.
I always had high blood pressure but under control with meds. The thing is, the doc added 2 new meds to the pressure pills and it keeps it under control during the day, but my pressure spikes at night. He now wants to order kidney scans and I am scared to death. Is fluctuating pressure and headache part of withdrawal? I am 60 years old and have gone through this several times. I know ya'll aren't docs, but maybe have experienced the same symptoms. Any input is of great help.
Thanks!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm sure withdrawal could mess with your blood pressure. I think it's important to tell your doctor you have recently stopped drinking, and to be honest about how much you were drinking when you quit.

I've heard of people whose blood pressure improved once they quit drinking--in the long run, that is. I'm sure your doctor will be happy with you for taking this step.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

mine went up and down too. if they jump too wildly, i would notify your doctor
Old 01-15-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I'm sure withdrawal could mess with your blood pressure. I think it's important to tell your doctor you have recently stopped drinking, and to be honest about how much you were drinking when you quit.

I've heard of people whose blood pressure improved once they quit drinking--in the long run, that is. I'm sure your doctor will be happy with you for taking this step.
I am working with my doc. I said he has ordered kidney scans and that is what is scaring me. In the past when I quit, I never had pressure issues and headaches like this and was wondering if withdrawals get worse with age. I was very honest with my doc....Thanks for the replies
Old 01-15-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Take it from this old man, a lot of things get worse with age!

Drinking was really screwing up your body. Alcohol can make medicines worthless. Expect lots of changes. Symptoms like what you described may not go away on their own.

Could you go to a health farm / detox / rehab for a few days or a month?
Old 01-15-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think withdrawals can get worse with the progression of the disease. It's good that he's ordering the scans. They may reveal nothing to worry about, and your BP may settle down on its own. It's good that you are addressing this now before it potentially causes even more problems.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you back bluesman.

withdrawal does get worse - not so much with age but the more we do it? sure.

I knows it's all pretty scary but you've done the best for yourself by stopping drinking and working with a Dr, bluesman...you're in a lot better position than you where when you were drinking, I'd reckon

now you're sober, have you given any thought to how you'll stay that way BM?

D
Old 01-15-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Take it from this old man, a lot of things get worse with age!

Drinking was really screwing up your body. Alcohol can make medicines worthless. Expect lots of changes. Symptoms like what you described may not go away on their own.

Could you go to a health farm / detox / rehab for a few days or a month?
I can't leave for that long but I am under doctors care - just worried about my pressure....
Old 01-15-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Good to see you back bluesman.

withdrawal does get worse - not so much with age but the more we do it? sure.

I knows it's all pretty scary but you've done the best for yourself by stopping drinking and working with a Dr, bluesman...you're in a lot better position than you where when you were drinking, I'd reckon

now you're sober, have you given any thought to how you'll stay that way BM?

D
I guess I'll have to try meetings. I was never for meetings, but I don't want to go back to where I was a week ago. It is hell!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I think withdrawals can get worse with the progression of the disease. It's good that he's ordering the scans. They may reveal nothing to worry about, and your BP may settle down on its own. It's good that you are addressing this now before it potentially causes even more problems.
The scans aren't till January 24th - Maybe with a little luck things may settle down. Thanks to all for the replies
Old 01-15-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I reckon your doctors not sweating on it then BM - he'd get you in sooner if he was worried I think?

D
Old 01-16-2013, 03:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I reckon your doctors not sweating on it then BM - he'd get you in sooner if he was worried I think?

D

Don't know if he is sweating it or not - 1/24 was the first available date unless I go to ER. I woke up today feeling good, but pressure is still elevated. This bothers me. I think I will go run a few miles today and de-stress
Old 01-16-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Not my real name.

I'm on day 11 today and my blood pressure was definitely up for about a week after I quit. Went through lots of headaches too. My doc warned me in the past that my blood pressure would go up if I quit.

I have deliberately not done too much strenuous exercise until I can confirm the pressure is down, I don't want to blow a gasket!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My tips would be

1. Stop googling any symptoms. The internet cannot diagnose anything.

2. Don't relentlessly keep checking your bp. In the UK no-one has personal BP monitors. There will be natural fluctuations throughout the day and anxiety must make it worse.

3. Try to keep calm. No-one will do themselves any good when they get overly anxious.

4. If it was urgent, like Dee, you would of been sent straight to hospital I imagine.

5. By not drinking, you are doing yourself a HUGE favour in terms of your health.

6. Keep positive, keep smiling and post here as often as you can.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
My tips would be

1. Stop googling any symptoms. The internet cannot diagnose anything.

2. Don't relentlessly keep checking your bp. In the UK no-one has personal BP monitors. There will be natural fluctuations throughout the day and anxiety must make it worse.

3. Try to keep calm. No-one will do themselves any good when they get overly anxious.

4. If it was urgent, like Dee, you would of been sent straight to hospital I imagine.

5. By not drinking, you are doing yourself a HUGE favour in terms of your health.

6. Keep positive, keep smiling and post here as often as you can.
Thanks - I agree with everything you say here except one thing. I only check my BP when I feel something is wrong, and that is docs orders. Today I had to lay down because I felt faint. 3 hours went by and I don't remember anything. I got up and checked my BP and it was 98/58. NOT GOOD! Much to my surprise, my doc wants me to continue all these BP meds and stay well hydrated. I diagree. I feel low pressure is as bad as High BP. Thanks for your input!!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

to ease the anxiety until Jan 24. find a meeting you can sit your butt at and let them know about your anxiety, you will find many others that had the same concern.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
to ease the anxiety until Jan 24. find a meeting you can sit your butt at and let them know about your anxiety, you will find many others that had the same concern.
I intended to do that today but we are expecting 8 inches of snow, so I will be alright for now - I actually woke up with normal blood pressure and no racing heart - This is day 7, so that seems about right. Thanks for the support!!!!
I am still working closely with my Dr., and he said if all remains OK, he will cancel the kidney scans. I had a physical in October and all funtions were normal, so it is probably just withdrawal.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bluesman1952 View Post
I intended to do that today but we are expecting 8 inches of snow, so I will be alright for now - I actually woke up with normal blood pressure and no racing heart - This is day 7, so that seems about right. Thanks for the support!!!!
I am still working closely with my Dr., and he said if all remains OK, he will cancel the kidney scans. I had a physical in October and all funtions were normal, so it is probably just withdrawal.
Hi Blueman,

I was amazed when I read your post! My husban has been on High Blood pressure meds for years but has been having continueing problems with LOW BP.
He also monitors his BP at home and when he feels faint or dizzy I can always tell and get behind him in case he falls. He BP registers at 64/45 at times. It is the medication we believe and he has an appointment at the end of this month.

I am the alcoholic in recovery, but I always felt he liked his alcohol too much. He has 2 very large staight drinks every night. They say Alcohol is one of the major contributors to high blood pressure. His doctors tweek his meds but other than that they say he is fine.

I am going with him this time, because this cannot continue and he does not seem to push the doctors. He may need a Kidney test also, who knows.

Telling you all of this--Blah, Blah, Blah--because I know the fear you and (if married) your spouse must feel. With you at this point I would say you are bound to have some significant fluctuations through withdrawal.

Like others have said just take it easy until the 24th, then make sure you leave your doctors office with an answer that satisfies you, even if it means testing your kidney's. My husband is 71 and I am 61. Getting old just SUCKS even if your not trying to quit alcohol.

Stay here with us until you find your ansers. Congrats on seeking sobriety, we are here for your support.

Sincerely,
TrixMixer
Old 01-17-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I was in a very stressful point at work and in bad shape physically and mentally. I am finding yoga and meditation to be very beneficial for my health and stress management. I still consult with my doctor, but I like to give lifestyle changes a chance to work before turning to medicines.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
I was in a very stressful point at work and in bad shape physically and mentally. I am finding yoga and meditation to be very beneficial for my health and stress management. I still consult with my doctor, but I like to give lifestyle changes a chance to work before turning to medicines.
I meditate also - I play guitar and write songs to free me of stress, but when things go sour physically, I panic. I think I am over the bad point now and on my way to full recovery - I will be off meds by March, Promise :-)