Notices

Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome

Old 01-17-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TrixMixer View Post
Hi Blueman,

I was amazed when I read your post! My husban has been on High Blood pressure meds for years but has been having continueing problems with LOW BP.
He also monitors his BP at home and when he feels faint or dizzy I can always tell and get behind him in case he falls. He BP registers at 64/45 at times. It is the medication we believe and he has an appointment at the end of this month.

I am the alcoholic in recovery, but I always felt he liked his alcohol too much. He has 2 very large staight drinks every night. They say Alcohol is one of the major contributors to high blood pressure. His doctors tweek his meds but other than that they say he is fine.

I am going with him this time, because this cannot continue and he does not seem to push the doctors. He may need a Kidney test also, who knows.

Telling you all of this--Blah, Blah, Blah--because I know the fear you and (if married) your spouse must feel. With you at this point I would say you are bound to have some significant fluctuations through withdrawal.

Like others have said just take it easy until the 24th, then make sure you leave your doctors office with an answer that satisfies you, even if it means testing your kidney's. My husband is 71 and I am 61. Getting old just SUCKS even if your not trying to quit alcohol.

Stay here with us until you find your ansers. Congrats on seeking sobriety, we are here for your support.

Sincerely,
TrixMixer
Thanks for the post - Even 2 stiff drinks a night can do it to your husband - best to have 2 glasses of wine if he isn't an alcoholic. I wish I could but as many times as I tried, I failed. 2 leads to 4 leads to 8 leads to 2 bottles. I will be fine. Thanks for posting!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Ah, the old wine trick. I read once that red wine is healthy for you. Also, now that I am committed to drinking a healthy quantity, I will drink a better quality wine. (opens wine) Oh, I remember that wine goes bad quickly once opened. It would be a shame to let this good wine go to waste. (finishes bottle, repeats next day)
Old 01-17-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
Ah, the old wine trick. I read once that red wine is healthy for you. Also, now that I am committed to drinking a healthy quantity, I will drink a better quality wine. (opens wine) Oh, I remember that wine goes bad quickly once opened. It would be a shame to let this good wine go to waste. (finishes bottle, repeats next day)
That is EXACTLY what I told my doc! He said 2 glasses of wine a day and I said it goes bad - you have to finish the bottle. He said, "OK, as long as you are sharing this wine with your wife, finish the bottle but don't open a second one". Hahahaha!!!! Imagine what stories we make up? Then he suggested bulk wine and I told him that stuff is rot gut garbage....I miss sitting by the fire place and enjoying a few. I wasn't always like this. I was responsible at one time but then the disease kicked in.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I used to drink a lot of red wine...

I used to consider myself a connoisseur but connoisseurs do not drink red wine as quickly as I used to drink it...or as much... or as frequently

We won't miss having a few glasses by the fire place after we have a few weeks of alcohol and hangover-free calm under our belts...

We will look into that fire and feel more relaxed without the wine...slower pulse, lower blood pressure, deeper breathing, clearer thoughts...more contentment

Love the Les Paul goldtop btw!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brazzaville View Post
I used to drink a lot of red wine...

I used to consider myself a connoisseur but connoisseurs do not drink red wine as quickly as I used to drink it...or as much... or as frequently

We won't miss having a few glasses by the fire place after we have a few weeks of alcohol and hangover-free calm under our belts...

We will look into that fire and feel more relaxed without the wine...slower pulse, lower blood pressure, deeper breathing, clearer thoughts...more contentment

Love the Les Paul goldtop btw!
I guess I just forgot how to smile/laugh - I am just existing now - very bored. I have my own recording studio in my room - 24 track - Ya think I would keep busy with that? I guess it is too early on in recovery to get creative right now, besides, guitar and wine seem to go hand in hand. I have to reconstruct my way of thinking.
Thanks for the compliment on the guitar. Took me a long while to save for that one. Oh, and yes, waking up with a clear mind and no hangover is a HUGE blessing.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Bluesman--I am a writer--wine used to really help me create, or so I thought....until a few months of no drinking, and I reached an entirely different plane of creativity I cannot explain. I can't reach this level with alcohol in my life in any measure, just for the record (in other words, if I were someone who just had a couple of drinks a few times a week this level could not be reached-it wasn't just from being hungover, etc.)

I think there are parts of your brain that "wake up" from (at best) the complacency of alcohol--when one stops drinking for good.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WritingFromLife View Post
Bluesman--I am a writer--wine used to really help me create, or so I thought....until a few months of no drinking, and I reached an entirely different plane of creativity I cannot explain. I can't reach this level with alcohol in my life in any measure, just for the record (in other words, if I were someone who just had a couple of drinks a few times a week this level could not be reached-it wasn't just from being hungover, etc.)

I think there are parts of your brain that "wake up" from (at best) the complacency of alcohol--when one stops drinking for good.
What you say is very true - I had gone 9 months without a drink at one point and my music was much better, but I had a hard time getting motivated. Each day that goes by I feel better, but I think my doc over did it with the pressure meds - He doesn't understand recovery, and when he saw my pressure high, he gave me all sorts of pressure pills and now my pressure is like 98/58. I told him and he said to continue the meds. I don't get it?
Old 01-18-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Maybe a second opinion? That stuff can really mess with you. Could be that it levels out in time. How frustrating for you!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Maybe a second opinion? That stuff can really mess with you. Could be that it levels out in time. How frustrating for you!

I can't get a 2nd opinion till March! No docs are taking on any new patients - I took my meds this morning, and if I find I get too dizzy I will call him back and demand to know how to wean off this stuff - You can't just stop - These pressure pills are potent and they mess with your heart rate and rhythm as well
"sigh"
Old 01-18-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

These darn hurdles. I'm so sorry, Blues. Hang in there best you can! Pulling for you.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

These darn hurdles. I'm so sorry, Blues. Hang in there best you can! Pulling for you.
I'll be alright as long as I don't drink - if the pressure continues to drop - I will wean off the meds as I said. Thanks again for the reply!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I play guitar and keyboards, and in my mind, making music and drinking beer/wine have always gone hand in hand...I'm not playing as much as I used to at the moment (I'm on day 29) but I'm listening to a lot of music and seem to be hearing it and remembering it more clearly than when I was drinking...also reading about jazz, blues etc...I'm sure I'll be back to playing when I'm good and ready - you too!
Old 01-18-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brazzaville View Post
I play guitar and keyboards, and in my mind, making music and drinking beer/wine have always gone hand in hand...I'm not playing as much as I used to at the moment (I'm on day 29) but I'm listening to a lot of music and seem to be hearing it and remembering it more clearly than when I was drinking...also reading about jazz, blues etc...I'm sure I'll be back to playing when I'm good and ready - you too!
I did some blues recording today - It was cold outside so I didn't have much to do - I set up the studio and laid down some drums/rhythm/bass/lead. It was very gratifying! I don't play drums - I have a machine....
Old 01-18-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bluesman1952 View Post
I guess I'll have to try meetings. I was never for meetings, but I don't want to go back to where I was a week ago. It is hell!
Maybe you could try a personal therapist if you don't like the idea of a group? Anyone to talk to that can help keep things in perspective.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
Maybe you could try a personal therapist if you don't like the idea of a group? Anyone to talk to that can help keep things in perspective.
I have one - I have an appointment Wednesday - anything to help me get through this. Thanks for the input!!!!