Notices

Change in relationship with husband

Old 01-08-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
zjw

I have to say from my experience you are very lucky to have a husband that does not sway you from meeting and/or fellowship. When I came home sober 2 years ago from treatment, my family was terrible! They didn't understand that I had an addiction to alcohol and pills and thought it was ridiculous for me to participate in anything AA related. I could not go to meetings, talk to new people, or pray without being ridiculed. I had to leave the home, even leaving my oldest children behind to stay sober. So having some support is a wonderful thing.
stories like yours are why i keep it under wraps. Its hard becuase I can witness confusion in relatives eyes as they wonder why i'm so different but i cant bring myself to fill them in. I dunno that they will get it or understand it. I dunno that i even wanna go there with them if ya know what i mean. And i dont want there sympathy if they do try to understand it. I dont want a pat on the back from them and a congrats either. I dont want nothing its my prob i'm fixing it thats that. But i do wrestle with enlightening them for there benefit not mine but i dunno if its worth the additional headache.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:08 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I totally agree that it's great to have his support.

There is only my husband and my best friend that know about my recovery. The rest of the family would be exactly as you describe
Old 01-09-2013, 12:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

My dad sobered up 27 years ago and my mom began going to Al-Anon. In the beginning, they were separated, but eventually got back together. It took them a lot of work, but they seem more or less happy now. A lot of the problem is often due to the fact that the non-drinking spouse has defined their whole life around you being a drunk. When you quit they become lost. Also, in recovery one begins approaching life with more seriousness and a deeper level of self-examination. This can create a lot of tension with the old life of having drink after drink while sitting silently in front of the television.

There is an old movie called "When a Man Loves a Woman" that deals with exactly this topic. A little bit dated now, but still relevant.