Notices

kindling and the body

Old 12-10-2012, 04:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question kindling and the body

Have a quick question.

If an alcoholic was to stop drinking for several months, and then one night drink a sixpack of beers, what feelings would that person go through after? What would they feel the next day... the day after... and so on?

Let's say for imagination that there is no possibility of buying any more drinks after the sixpack. I know that happens but I'm not asking about that, just about the physical and mental repercussion.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by wisteria View Post
If an alcoholic was to stop drinking for several months, and then one night drink a sixpack of beers, what feelings would that person go through after?
That person would be risking unleashing the addiction full force.

If you a speculating on occasional relapses, don't.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Carl thanks for your reply.

Just to be clear I am not planning occasional relapses. I just want to know because I am curious what the body and mind would go through after taking even a single drink. Like I said imagine it's the last drink in the world and you can't take any more drinks afterward, so this has nothing to do with falling back into a longer period of drinking.

Basically I see a lot of people talking about the dangers of "just one drink" and am wondering what happens physically after you do take just one drink, if you have a history of an alcohol problem.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i agree with doggonecarl, i was sober for about 12 weeks, then had one drink then two then three ...... wel i was drinking even worse than before.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Like I said imagine it's the last drink in the world and you can't take any more drinks afterward, so this has nothing to do with falling back into a longer period of drinking.
Wisteria, don't let your mind go down this path. For the alcoholic, this is not idle speculation. And whether you believe it or not, you are sowing the seeds for future drinking.

Don't let them sprout.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Read this:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html
Old 12-10-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LDT

I did not truly believe it myself, but found out the "Kindling Effect" is absolutely real. Happy to admit I was wrong, and am now a believer.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

For the alcoholic, this is not idle speculation. And whether you believe it or not, you are sowing the seeds for future drinking.
Very true.

I have to say I had the same response to those here when I read that OP - sounds like a justification / reasoning for taking a first drink under the guise of curiosity or simple inquiry. And even if it isn't, our alcoholism loves when we start thinking about things like that.

Reaching for a drink is no longer on the menu, no longer an option. Trying to crack the seal of that idea just invites the ego to start rationalizing things. And that gets dicey quickly.

As for your question, ask any one that has relapsed. One thing they all say is that it is worse than it was before.

Turn your thoughts to helping someone else
Old 12-10-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have no idea what the kindling effect is and I don't have time to read about it right now. I just know what would happen with me if I had a beer. I'm 99.9% certain I'd be able to do that tonight if I wanted, and not drink again for a month or whatever. I'm also certain that after having that success I'd do it again one day. And somewhere along the line I'd figure, ok, I'm drinking. Might as well get drunk. And if that worked with no repercussions there is no frikken way I wouldn't do it again.... See where this is going.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Few Beers, seed planted and off I go again !
Old 12-10-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks all.

To be absolutely super-duper cleary-clear, I am not trying to justify having a drink!!! I really am curious what an alcoholic would FEEL after stopping for a while and then having a few drinks one night. Once, when I was younger and dumber, I asked a girl what it felt like to have menstrual cramps. This is not because I was thinking of going out and having a period of my own.

Am I clear?

Meanwhile, Carl that post about Under the Influence is extremely useful. I hope I am okay to post a few thoughts.

The critical point, however, is this: the preliminary adaptation begins before the alcoholic starts drinking heavily and, in fact, causes the heavier drinking. Adaptation does not occur because a person drinks too much. On the contrary, when a person starts drinking more, and more often, and the pattern persists, he is displaying one of the first symptoms of alcoholism. (49)
I read this and said, this is where I am right now! I'm not a heavy drinker and have no problem with stopping drinks after a few. But I am a frequent drinker, and I look forward to it every day, and can see that if I continue drinking, there will be a progression. It's time to stop.

In the early stage, however, the disease is subtle and difficult to recognize. It is characterized by adaptations in the liver and central nervous system, increased tolerance to alcohol, and improved performance when drinking. (48)
When I would go drinking in college I could always have a few beers and never show any affects, never stumbling or making a fool of myself. I always thought it was because I was the man. Apparently it was because my body has a problem with alcohol.

I'm most of reading down the first page right now. Will keep reading and post any more thoughts.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just finished the thread. Wow, so eye opening. Thanks again for posting.

The book sounds great. Will have to find it. Also appreciated GreenTea's comments, he made some good explanations of the progression into alcoholism. Don't want to get to that point, ever.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Some added information about this question, since I didn't get an answer. Not that it's your collective duty to answer me, of course.

At one point, after a couple of weeks of not drinking alcohol, I had four beers one night. I didn't feel the need to drink any more after that. The next day I felt crummy, which is fine. But the next evening I had terrible anxiety, and felt like I really needed a drink, or more. My heart was pounding in my chest, and my vision was blurry.

A lot of people said on this thread having a few drinks would start them drinking again. Going through that made me want to NOT drink again because it was so scary. I just want to know what that was all about. How could I drink four beers after weeks of sobriety and feel like that the next evening?

Thanks if anyone has any ideas.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
LDT

How could I feel like that after 1 1/2 years of sobriety? How could that happen?

Well, it did.... I guess it's just the nature of "the beast". Even just 2-3 glasses of wine made me feel awful. Threw me right back into that dreaded racing heart-pre-panic attack. Not to be redundant, but it made me a believer of the Kindling Effect.

It's just not worth it to me. I know that now.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Have a quick question.
If an alcoholic was to stop drinking for several months, and then one night drink a sixpack of beers, what feelings would that person go through after? What would they feel the next day... the day after... and so on?
I tried that experiment dozens of times. I could drink the six-pack and then stop. However, the next night I would want 7, the next night 8, then sometime within the next week I would be drinking a case or more per night. Then the blackouts would take me right back where I was before I quit.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=doggonecarl;3711296]That person would be risking unleashing the addiction full force.

If you a speculating on occasional relapses, don't.[/QUOT

Hi Carl,

You always seem to get right to the point. So here is a quick question, and would like your opinion.

Recently I have been having an O'Dou'ls (non-alcoholic) beer with my meals at night, or while my husband has his cocktails. I am wondering if just that 0.5% alcohol in it is safe for one in recovery?

Reason I ask this is I find myself having one every night--even if i don't eat much dinner, and now I feel like maybe having 2. It is not like I am drinking for a high, but seriously wonder if just that tiny amount of alcohol can set your system off in craving alcohol.It does taste exactly like real beer, but my drink of choice was never beer.

Whatever your answer is I am not buying this anymore, but must say am not happy about not having my drink. I am actually beginning to believe even this kind of beer is not safe for alcoholics in recovery. Am I crazy???
Old 12-15-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Kindling is REAL. And very bad for your brain and body. I want my brain to recover fully. . It is one of the biggest reasons I'm a believer in STAYING STOPPED.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=TrixMixer;3719775]
Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
That person would be risking unleashing the addiction full force.

If you a speculating on occasional relapses, don't.[/QUOT

Hi Carl,

You always seem to get right to the point. So here is a quick question, and would like your opinion.

Recently I have been having an O'Dou'ls (non-alcoholic) beer with my meals at night, or while my husband has his cocktails. I am wondering if just that 0.5% alcohol in it is safe for one in recovery?

Reason I ask this is I find myself having one every night--even if i don't eat much dinner, and now I feel like maybe having 2. It is not like I am drinking for a high, but seriously wonder if just that tiny amount of alcohol can set your system off in craving alcohol.It does taste exactly like real beer, but my drink of choice was never .

Whatever your answer is I am not buying this anymore, but must say am not happy about not having my drink. I am actually beginning to believe even this kind of beer is not safe for alcoholics in recovery. Am I crazy???
DUH!! Just answered my own question

Wish I had looked up this combination a month ago!!! Apparently Non-alcoholic beers are ONLY for Non-Alcoholics Even the slightest bit of alcohol content can begin the addiction process. After all these years ya think I would have been smarter.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The last time I drank I did not get crap faced drunk, I did get a buzz though.

The mental repercussions were huge. I had a major anxiety attack that lasted for days. It was horrible. Knowing that I should not have been drinking and the guilt contributed to the anxiety. I thought I was going to literally die or go mad.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

If you truely just drank and 6pack and then I stopped I wouldn't say that you would have serious withdrawal. However, the obsession of the alcohol would come back like a hurricane. Then you could end up on a 3-4 day bender and then experience the full withdrawal. 'Kindling" is very real as I have been sober 6 or 9 months many times & return back to the point of needing detox worse than before.