Notices

One more night... One more mistake

Old 12-13-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One more night... One more mistake

Well guys I'm fairly new here, and I really like this forum, and I was currently 11 days sober, well a long time friend of mine came back to see me after I haven't seen him in a year, he hasn't drank in a while and he suggested it and since I haven't seen him in a while, I agreed to split a 12 pack. I was really starting to be proud of my 11 day soberity, it doesn't seem like much, but 11 days to me was alot. I'm really disappointed that I gave in and drank.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

start again and stay stopped starting now
Old 12-13-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of us have fallen in situations like that, Dean.

I eventually learned that I needed to treat my recovery with a lot more respect that I had been, y'know?

D
Old 12-13-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, 11 days is good. It is at the beginning of sobriety and not for the faint of heart.

Like the person above said, just start again, and stay stopped.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I know I made a mistake, and I learned from it. If my friend can't be friends with me without alcohol then he's not a real friend. I've known him for awhile but we always drank together.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It takes a lot of changes - especially in the early days.

It's worth it though

D
Old 12-13-2012, 10:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DeanChev View Post
Thanks guys. I know I made a mistake, and I learned from it. If my friend can't be friends with me without alcohol then he's not a real friend. I've known him for awhile but we always drank together.
I went back to visit my old friends from way back a few months ago. In that time frame I was stilling drinking here and there so I wasn't arriving there sweating about it but i was considering not drinking. But i gave in. What I did was I only brought 9 beers. That way I couldn't get all ********. But even if i did have a whole case I don't think I would have drank too many more. I felt somewhat very comfortable just hanging out relaxing and drinking with old friends.

Back home here it can be a different story. A story of drink until I pass out. In comparison I guess I wanted to enjoy my time there with my friends and remember it.

If I have ANY point here it is when you decide you want to quit it might not happen right aways. it might be in the back of your head but it's there. You will grab onto it eventually and stop. I recently stopped again because I had enough.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

I think it is helpful to review the process of how you changed your mind.

The world will always " lead us into temptation" . The problem we have is within us.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

dean i did that many times. you can do it, start tomorrow. i am day 7 now
Old 12-14-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

If we don't respect our own sobriety, how do we expect everyone else to? sometimes we need to change our playmates and our play yards. But I like what instant said - perhaps it's good to look at how you agreed that splitting the 12-pack was a good idea. Regardless of who suggested it.

Back on the horse...
Old 12-14-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wouldn't it be great if we could just lock ourselves up somewhere for awhile and be who we want to be.......and not have to deal with the rest of the world.

It's hard but you have already proved to yourself that you can do it..all you got to do is keep trying!!!

I think that one of the hard parts is not with what we want, but not wanting to offend someone else. To me it just says that you care more about others than your own well being. Which is not a bad trait but you got to draw a line. y'know?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
High on Life

Let me get this straight.....your friend was sober for a while and you were sober for a while, you guys get together after not seeing each other and drink. Do you see the absurdity of it all???
Old 12-14-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Splitting a 12 pack is no big deal and is probably considered a normal amount of consumption for most. However, if I were to do that, it's 5 days of straight drinking that would be triggered by it that is the problem. That 12 pack would quickly turn into 12 cases for me....
Old 12-15-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
Let me get this straight.....your friend was sober for a while and you were sober for a while, you guys get together after not seeing each other and drink. Do you see the absurdity of it all???
Absurd, possibly. It's like this, I've known him for 10 years or so, and we used to always drink together which is why I think that idea triggered in his mind. Unfortuntely, I haven't been able to stop since then. I've drank 6 beers every night after we hung out. Once I start again, it's hard to put the brakes on, you know?
Old 12-15-2012, 10:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is hard, I remember...but the brakes stop with us not buying beer one day Dean.
Why not make that day today?

D
Old 12-15-2012, 11:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It is hard, I remember...but the brakes stop with us not buying beer one day Dean.
Why not make that day today?

D
I completely agree, I guess I feel like I'm not 100% ready to quit. I really want to spiritually, but my body doesn't want to

If I can't or decide not to quit, I have to cut down, even to only drinking once a week.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DeanChev View Post
I completely agree, I guess I feel like I'm not 100% ready to quit. I really want to spiritually, but my body doesn't want to

If I can't or decide not to quit, I have to cut down, even to only drinking once a week.
Just thinking on this, I am going to quit, I had 11 days down without drinking and I felt great, and I know I can do it again, I just need to get out of this while I still can..
Old 12-15-2012, 11:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

well, I figure you're gonna do what you're gonna do Dean....just like most of us did.

I really would go back and read some of your old posts tho - use the drop down menu under your name.

Don't let this idea go too long...remember when you said....?

I figure I better stop when I'm 20 instead of 40 and really paying for it by then.
You really can lose years this way if you're not careful.

Whatever you ultimately decide - best wishes

D
Old 12-15-2012, 11:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
well, I figure you're gonna do what you're gonna do Dean....just like most of us did.

I really would go back and read some of your old posts tho - use the drop down menu under your name.

Don't let this idea go too long...remember when you said....?

You really can lose years this way if you're not careful.

Whatever you ultimately decide - best wishes

D
I really appreciate you caring. Sometimes, it's not as easy as saying "Yes I want to quit" and then doing it, but I am going to try my best. I am done with excuses and ect. I need to do it for me myself and I, and learn to enjoy life being sober.