Notices

Sick & drunk but still drinking

Old 12-02-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sick & drunk but still drinking

Can someone who really drinks hardcore like me give me some inspiration on how they quit? I'm the type of drinker who will vomit & keep right on going so boring housewives who drink a quarter of wine after supper need not respond.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi eye.

I drank like you did...but I've learned a lot from everyone here, including those so called boring housewives, so you may want to reconsider your approach.

Basically it comes down to what are you prepared to do to quit I think.
AA or some other recovery group, seeing a Dr, inpatient or outpatient rehab?

what are you prepared to change in your life to make sobriety stick?
will you stop going out with your mates to bars for example?

D
Old 12-02-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee, it's not the amount that make the size of the Alcohol problem.

I'm sure some will have some pretty bad stories to tell you if it can help you!

Puke never stopeed me personally. When I saw blood coming out once really scared me. But not enough. Everyone get's the rock bottom differently. Some have even died, so no better time then now to make a move
Old 12-02-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not too sure it's how much you drink is it ? Some people have real issues with alcohol and they may just drink a few glasses of wine a night.

Good luck .
Old 12-02-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Easy. Your desire to be sober must be stronger than your desire to drink. There's no magic pill, or meeting, or rehab. It's all about you in this case.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In the end, you have to truly want sobriety for any of this to work. The first two times I seriously tried to quit, I only lasted 15 days. This was without any recovery program of any kind except for my own willpower not to drink. The problem was that I really wasn't ready to quit yet. I had quit for different reasons other than me wanting sobriety. This time around, I quit because I started to realize just how unmanageable my life was becoming with alcohol and how miserable I always was.

I started going to AA meetings, got a sponsor, a home group, working the steps, and living a sober life now. I've been sober for 100 days now. I attribute each and every day to the AA program. I recommend it.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

eye
I was a real hard drinker for years. Vomit wouldn't stop me either, heck it would help settle my stomach and I could just keep drinking.
Jeff got it right.
Finally got to the point that I just wanted to stop, so I was honest with my self and quite telling myself that I didn't have a problem. I'm crawling out of the bottle and am determined to make it all of the way out and stay out.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eye365 View Post
Can someone who really drinks hardcore like me give me some inspiration on how they quit? I'm the type of drinker who will vomit & keep right on going so boring housewives who drink a quarter of wine after supper need not respond.
I drank until I was ready to blow my brains out ... then I went to AA.

It has kept me sober, sane and serene for almost 24 yrs. Might just be the ticket for you as well.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-03-2012, 02:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Based on the wording and attitude expressed in your post, I would suggest finding out what the term "terminally unique" means in conjunction with alcohol recovery.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's not a competition. Getting sober is tough regardless of how much you drink. I know people who drink a beer every now and again who would find it hard to cut it out entirely, forever. There's a difference between those who are physically dependent and those who are not, I agree, but only because in that sense it can be dangerous to detox alone. Getting sober and staying sober is something that takes a major commitment regardless of how much someone drinks, or how often. I drank once or twice a month but when I did drink, I drank enough for an army. Despite only drinking once or twice a month, the first three months for me were HARD.

You can learn from anyone... someone who drinks one beer a night could have come up with a fantastic, unique approach to quitting.

The only thing that's going to stop you drinking, really, is you. You have to make a commitment. You have to believe in yourself. You have to want to be sober more than you want to be drunk, and if you don't? You have to convince yourself. We have the ability to believe whatever we choose to believe, and for as long as you believe that there's something special about you and more 'hardcore' about you that's stopping you from being sober, the longer it will take for you to get sober. Admitting to myself that I had a problem and that there really wasn't anything special or unique about me at all - I was just your average alcoholic who had to do whatever it took to stop - made getting sober so much easier.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I tried everything but the the only thing that worked for me was AA. just remember its the first drink that does the damage, so if you don't have the first one you can't get drunk. Then with the right recovery program you will get rid of that horrible mental obsession that drives you to pick up the first drink.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
jra

The first thing is that you need to come at this with humility.

If this post is indicative of your attitude, then you are bound to fail.

Let me add that I write this in honest judgment, and not to cast aspersions.

Seriously, ask yourself why you felt the need to belittle in advance the experience of any alcoholic who offered their support. To me you post smacks of self-importance and delusions of grandeur. Trust me, you're not special, and your alcoholism isn't either. To be beat this you need to be humble, to listen in thoughful consideration of any fellow alcoholic's experience, and open to all gestures of support.

I hope you learn this, because no one should continue on the path you are on.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well let's see Mr Hardcore......Your Sick, Drunk, Vomiting and STILL drinking?

.....and you want someone here (preferable not a boring housewife drunk) to give you some INSPIRATION on HOW to quit??

You have already taken the first step in admitting you are an alcoholic (hardcore), the inspiration has to come from within yourself. Every one's bell goes off from different places.

If SICK< DRUNK<VOMITING AND ANGER aren't enough, maybe the Bell hasn't wrung for you. You sure have all the reasons to stop drinking, but you now have got to find "why" you want to stop.

Only you can know that , all our inspiratrional stories won't mean a damn thing to YOU---they were OUR reasons--you can only own your own reason.

Does that make sense??
Old 12-03-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I hear ya. I drank myself into hospital detoxes over a dozen times. At times, I resorted to household products containing alcohol & even hand sanitizer in the hospital. I've been to jail a few times & rehab 6+ times. I panhandled on the subway & attempted suicide. So I consider myself a "professional alcoholic". Anyways, today I have been sober for around 15 months minus 1 day. I don't have a easy answer for you. AA and God are probably what's helping me. Seeing a therapist & psych Dr. also because some of us drink so much we permanently destroy our brains.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I drank pretty 'hardcore' too, towards the end.. and it rapidly began pushing me towards losing my job, my marriage and my life. I was more scared of that than I was to quit I guess, and needed help. Personally, I put the bottle down, scheduled an appointment with a counselor experienced in addiction/alcoholism and began my sober journey.. that was almost 4 years ago and now I'm a sober and grateful 'boring housewife'
Old 12-03-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeff63 View Post
Easy. Your desire to be sober must be stronger than your desire to drink. There's no magic pill, or meeting, or rehab. It's all about you in this case.
Good one. I for myself cannot afford a rehab, I'd probably lose my job. I've got to do it the old fashion way and just wait/tough it out. Alcoholism is serious, and alcohol is not a friend, it's a cruel fiend.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hello there - there are no degrees to insanity. I quite possibly was one of those who drank a few beers and couldn't tolerate it much but I was insane that last evening of drinking - no question. I decided right then and there - enough of this insanity. Now everyday is D (decision) day. You're one step away from making the decision that leads to one 24 hours at a time. Good luck to you.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

OP, I can totally relate to you. In the bad old days an alcoholic was someone who dropped into the bar for a drink at lunch and came to in a hospital in another state, now it's someone who realizes they have wine with dinner nearly every day.

You might want to check out the secular recovery forum if you want to get sober without having to rub shoulders with lesser drunks.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

I am long past the days of needing to prove that I could drink someone under the table. I think you will receive more assistance once you realize that you are no different from that "boring" housewife.

If she's the one with the advice that may end up saving your life, will you not listen?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ha, man. I was a daily drinker. The moment I woke up I would crack open my 12 point earthquake and puke while drinking it and drink until I kept it down so the room would quit spinning. I would be peeing on the toilet and have to puke in the bathtub at the same time regularly. I would have to force myself to eat at least one meal to make sure I had SOMETHING in my stomach. Did that DAILY for a long time.

I'm now 90 days sober. Don't wake up puking. I sleep freaking GREAT and I can hold down my coffee in the morning.

Wanna know how I did it? I just freaking did it. I got the balls to get help. I decided this isn't what I wanted anymore. This wasn't living. This was slow suicide and it had to stop because there is so much more out there than the next drink.

It's scary as heck yeah, but sometimes you just gotta throw your hands up and admit defeat that you can't do it on your own and be shaking in your boots and just DO IT.

I swear the week of detox will not even be a big deal compared to the lifetime of living.

The more you keep going the worse it is. Get yourself some help..