Notices

Unemployed In Sobriety.....

Old 11-18-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Unemployed In Sobriety.....

I had a job interview for a high end clothing store last week & they never called back. How can I not take it personally? I am so sick of people saying "it's the economy". Maybe I'm just a bum? I thought about drinking the other day because of this mind set. I know I'm a alcoholic/drug addict but really don't care when I pick up a drink. I wish society judged a person by how much beer they drank because then I would feel like a success instead of a failure.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i would like to say cheer up but i know it can be hard. i lost a job also and was at wits end in my search. one thing i would not drink, that will make it worse.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Serenity Now!

i moved to a new city, couldnt find a job for 3 months. i was drinking everyday. good on you for not.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

When I start to drink and drug it becomes like a full time job to me. My life is spent intoxicated, hungover or in withdrawal, getting money and on the hunt for more. I still feel not part of society today much like I did when I was drinking.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((Justfor1)) - I've been looking for a job since June. I've been on a few interviews, didn't hear back from some of them, still hoping to hear from the last one.

I'm dealing with my past because I gave up a good career (thank you drugs), am over-qualified for the jobs I've applied for, but don't have the experience that is needed in the field I'm about to get an associate's degree in.

Frustrated? Oh yeah. However, going back to my old ways just isn't an option. I've got over 5 years in recovery, and with each day that passes, I put more time between me and the past.

Luckily, I've got a volunteer job that I just love, and the job I'm trying to get is because of the contacts I've made there. I have the job, pending a background check Yeah, well it goes back 7 years and that's when I had a POV so not sure if it's going to show up.

I'm tired of dealing with consequences, so just make sure I don't do something else stupid to bring about MORE of the bad ones!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-18-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

impurr, what is a POV?? I have a criminal history yet really only have one case that will show up because it was a conviction. I have accepted that I become a dangerous criminal when I pick up a drink. Disease or not it's anti-social behavior that is frowned upon.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I meant VOP - violation of probation. I was on probation for charges that were under first offender...they are remove from my "official rap sheet" but not the violation. I don't even know if it will show up, but I never mentioned it (didn't want to shoot myself in the foot and then it NOT show up), so am waiting to hear.

I also had to provide a motor vehicle record and will submit to a drug screen, if I get the job. REALLY glad that I didn't/don't have to worry about those things.

I talked to a kid who volunteers where I do - he job-searched for 1-1/2 years, finally got a job at Taco Bell. He's a good kid, no trouble with the law and graduated high school. As much as I could argue, the times really ARE tough in getting a job. I've probably submitted close to 200 resume's and applications - nothing but the 3 jobs I've been interviewed on.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-18-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Impurr, I know folks who use the "bad economy" as an excuse though. They simple do not apply for jobs. They hang out at the local AA club all day and beg for cigerettes/coffee and "side jobs". You applied at over 200 places & only 3 called back? My god, then the economy might be the reason as I have read u posts & believe that you are a intelligent person. Honestly, I have been so far from normal society that I cannot really judge what is real and what is not. In some ways, I feel more "at home" in jail.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

((Justfor1)) - Yep, I couldn't even get a job at a convenience store where all the clerks know me (and like me) and I'm in there almost every day for my diet soda. Talk about humbling and frustrating!

I do know of some people who figure "what's the use" and don't apply. However, I know way more that are really trying to get a job. I just have faith that one of the applications/interviews will work out. When I get frustrated, I just go to the Whiner's thread

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-18-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well I guess I'm lucky I took early retirement because i couldn't hold down a work career and drinking career so I selected the later. Now My probrlem is too much time on my hands, not good for me. Good luck to all in job hunting. May you bag something worthwhile.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Justfor1, I can relate to this. I too, (like Impurrfect) gave up my career for my liquid one back on 07. Unfortunately, many people are either underemployed or unemployed. A couple of things helped me: I have my rock star resume for any high paying management positions and I have my dummied down resume which focuses primarily on my soft skills like typing, application experience, customer service skills, etc. I also signed up with several temp agencies as well. My dummied down resume is what eventually got me in the company I'm at now and it's all about re-climbing at this point. Please don't give up; I didn't work for 2 years and it tore at my self-esteem. But once I started utilizing different venues and became open to temp work, slowly things got better. Hang in there.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's a pretty good idea. I have 3 Masters but doesn't get me in as a Walmart greeter. Luck I only lost 3 wifes 3 house 3dogs my career health and esteem so I cam out pretty good.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

I have spent most of my sobriety unemployed. It does not feel good. Rejection letter after letter, random emails for totally inappropriate jobs that just found my email address through the unemployment site, and perhaps worst: the silence.

Truly, it makes me get to thinking sometimes that it's the /sobriety/ that's causing this Yeah, I know that's silly, but I have had a lot of time to think about and I must have thought every possible thought by now. My motivation goes up and down, I try to stay focused and so on, but sometimes it does get to me.

I guess maybe it's the "economy" (yes I am getting sick of hearing that excuse too) since before sobriety, I was continuously employed--although that would not have lasted, the way I was headed downhill.

After 2 years spent largely unemployed and quite panicky (I live alone and have no rich family members) I have had a recent spate of luck, involving getting two job offers (a temp seasonal one and Wal-Mart... but jobs!). Before that, it was hanging out at the labor center & hoping for a day's work--enough to pay the rent, basically. I have long since cut out all "extras."

I have years of experience in two fields, and a bachelor's, but, like Snoopy87, those didn't help.

Don't listen to those people sitting around complaining, there might not be many jobs, and most of those seem to be of the "temp" variety (around here at least), but something is better than nothing. Not just for the money, but also for the leads. Many others working temp jobs are also looking for work, and often know who is hiring.

It's a rough road, it truly is. The last couple years have not been pleasant. My story does happen to have a "light at the end of the tunnel" though, even if it was last week. The last non-day labor job I had was underemployment in and of itself ($8/hr) and ended a year ago. Hang in there y'all! I wish you the best.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I thought about drinking the other day because of this mind set. I know I'm a alcoholic/drug addict but really don't care when I pick up a drink.
That would be the exact wrong thing to do, I think alcohol and drugs have caused you enough problems. Don't you have criminal record? Finding a job with a criminal record is a tough sell, but drinking and adding more violations will make it nearly impossible.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Maybe I can reup in the Corps, they must need 66 year old alkies with ulcers. I think there are a couple of general positions open.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

I love being unemployed. I busted my butt stressed out to the max for years and it's AWESOME not to do that.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I could of had a job delivery pizza from a local restaurant. They even knew about my driving "issues". But my car is too old and putting the miles and wear & tear on it would be too much. I may check back there to see if I can work in the restaurant. I have a college degree but no longer have the concentration skills to attend law school or get a Masters degree.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have a naive belief things can always work out
Old 11-18-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

mycool, I relate. Drinking got in the way of my working. One had to go so I picked, of course, drinking.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Hey Justfor1. I feel your pain. I really do. From 2002-2009 I had AMAZING jobs in the insurance industry. I was in my early to mid 20's and making more money than I ever expected to. Then drinking ruined it all. And I got two DUIs between 04-09. Now EVERYONE is doing background checks. Since the beginning of 2010 I've had odd jobs here and there making about one third of what I was making in the insurance field. But I KNOW I've been ignored or turned down from jobs because of my background check and my history of drinking. I have an interview Tuesday for a seasonal job. It's something I never thought I'd be doing but at this point I'd take about any job someone would offer me.