Notices

Unemployed In Sobriety.....

Old 11-21-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Originally Posted by Maylie View Post
JJAy I just saw that you got a job with UPS congrats! Even if just seasonal, they are not a bad company to get into for the future if they get openings for more permenant work.

Hope all is well,

Maylie
Yeah, the HR manager said the company loves to promote from within so I'll keep my fingers crossed
Old 11-21-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

what is your degree in? you can go back to the college/ university and ask for a job placement?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

My degree will be in health information management (next month). The college I go to does have career services, but really can't help me get in that type of position - very hard to do without experience. I do get notifications of job openings from them, though.

Thanks!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-22-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

In my state criminal charges can be expunged or sealed. It is easier to get a charge "sealed" from public view. However, the court system will still be able to see it. When you get a charge expunged it is like it never happened. 7 years is usually the "look back" window for convictions. Very few crimes can be completely expunged. Just thought I might share & possibly help someone.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

It's a real hit to ones' self esteem to be out of work. To all of you dealing with unemployment, keep your chin up! The next app you put in might be the one that gets you hired. Just remember that interviewing is a lot like dating- a bit of confidence goes a long way! Act like you expect to be hired, not cocky, just confident. You're an asset to them! Make them win you over. That's the way to think of it, anyway.

Luckily for me I have a clean record. My only arrest was a DUI 20 years ago that I plead down to Reckless Driving. I'm a chef, and with my experience I could walk out of my job tomorrow and be working somewhere the next day. As someone else here noted, if you're really in need of work restaurants are a place where any person can get hired. I've worked with managers who were on work release for DUI! We're basically all brigands and pirates in the kitchen! It's also a business where you can work your up the ladder.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Just wanted to add another update. After getting turned down for the other job, applied to another company for same type work, end of last week. Got called on Mon., interview on Tue., orientation yesterday, start working tomorrow

Passed the background check, they didn't do a credit check. It has taken me MONTHS to get a job, but I have and my past is truly becoming more of a past.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-30-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

impurr, congrats on the job. I guess it pays off to keep on trying...
Old 11-30-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

That is fantastic, Impurrfect....I''m really happy for you
Old 11-30-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
~sb

I need some good vibes sent my way.....