Notices

Severe Gastritis Help

Old 11-10-2012, 10:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Severe Gastritis Help

I had a glass or two of wine and about a half of a 26oz of vodka (this is daily or nightly for me for the past 2.5 - 3 years) and one beer and eventually passed out when I woke up I had my usual hangover symptoms so I went to make something to eat, take some tums and have water to ease hangover symptoms. I threw up the food (this happens now and then after drinking) and then all of a sudden my stomach was cramping and having shooting pains so bad I could barely breathe the pain was so unbearable I had to lie down on my stomach on my bed and breathe. The pain slowed down after an hour or a little over an hour I lay in the fetal position could barely move and went back to bed.

I woke up and ALL day today the pain is there I can barely walk it hurts like hell. I have never had this happen before and it is painful in my stomach to eat. I don't have any pepto with me right now but I took some tums but it is not helping. Is this gastritis? Anyone have any remedies to help with this
Old 11-10-2012, 10:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hope you can see a doctor if the pain continues as soon as you can.

Common advice for stomach issues after vomiting include a brat diet...

bananas, rice, applesauce or toast

Maybe a piece of soft bread would be helpful.

I can remember years back having gastritis related to drinking and the doctor advising over the counter zantac.

I hope you feel better!
Old 11-10-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cocopuff,

You should ask your doctor about this. Alcohol is a powerful toxin and does horrible things to our bodies. I'm sure youre suffering but we aren't allowed to give medical advice here.

I'm glad you've joined us here on SR. One of the most helpful things I heard when I was first considering sobriety was that I didn't have to live that way anymore!

Please stick around and read the posts. People here are very supportive.

Love from Lenina
Old 11-10-2012, 10:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both for the input - If it persists I will visit the clinic tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with Lenina.

Boy I did a number on my stomach all of those years. I cannot tell you how many times I threw up.

I hope you feel better. Hope you can get some rest and also I remembered that soup was my go to when my stomach was hurting.

The salt was something I craved...Cream of mushroom soup always helped me.

Oh, I don't miss those days.

It wasn't too long ago, though, that I drank and threw up...only 54 days ago, in fact.

It gets better.

Hang in there.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Please see a doctor
Old 04-14-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Veritas1 View Post
I agree with Lenina.

Boy I did a number on my stomach all of those years. I cannot tell you how many times I threw up.

I hope you feel better. Hope you can get some rest and also I remembered that soup was my go to when my stomach was hurting.

The salt was something I craved...Cream of mushroom soup always helped me.

Oh, I don't miss those days.

It wasn't too long ago, though, that I drank and threw up...only 54 days ago, in fact.

It gets better.

Hang in there.
I crave tons of salt as well..all my foods are full of salt. I wonder why?
I haven't had this come back at all since I posted this and I've been going pretty heavy so I don't know what all that was about that night.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

If you are still drinking, it could have been anything but you are so numbed by drinking you have no idea.....

Are you ready to stop and stay stopped yet????
Old 04-14-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is so crazy that I am going thought the same thing right now. I did not throw up or drink today but have shooting pains in spurts where I am healed over. I was thinking kidney stones but google isnt the best doctor. Hope you feel better
Old 04-14-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hope you feel better, That's good enough reason for me not to drink today.
Whoah. Brought back some bad memories. Do you want to stop? Once and for all?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nope.
I think I've given up on life and just want to drink myself into oblivion. I can't handle sobriety and life. I have a lot of emotional problems, depression, social anxiety and have experienced a lot of crap most people can't relate to.

My family does not help just makes fun of my alcohol problem or blames me because of my drinking or blames my anxiety problems as an excuse to drink.

Can alcohol really numb you?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
now's the time

Hmm I think I would've drank myself into oblivion if that had been an option... but no, for me, alcohol didn't numb me. It left me super raw and sensitive to everything. There's a breeze in here, oh god five alarm fire put it out with vodka!!!
Old 04-28-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nope. The oblivion never lasts, and the end might take decades, with ever worsening health issues and loss of relationships, self esteem etc.

It's not a good road. If you keep drinking, don't think this is the worst it can get. It's not even close.

Your addiction wants you not to care. It's listing all the obstacles and problems in your life right now....

What it doesn't want you to think about is it doesn't have to be like this - there is life after drinking and it's good

Find support, make changes in your life - you'll be amazed at the difference even a little bit of sober time can make to your outlook and your view of other people, the world you live in, and the the future

D
Old 04-28-2013, 11:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I just can't imagine life without it and I've come to realize Wow I'm a real alcoholic it just hits you one day. You realize you spend all your money on booze all your time drinking and all your time nursing hangovers then your always taking tums and pepto bismol so you can drink more. You don't go out unless you run out of booze and tell yourself OK well I'm just drinking beer tonight taking it easy to hydrate myself lol and the beer always turns into the vodka shots (I drink vodka 7 days a week). Getting drunk out of your mind 3 nights a week to blackout drunk and calling up people on the phone yelling about your childhood and how ****** everything is. I don't puke as much now and my hangovers aren't as bad. I feel pathetic I'll get pissed drunk alone sitting on my computer listening to music it is ridiculous. It just escalades out of control before you know it. They know you at the liquor store and your ashamed so you go all over lol Rambling here.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

all of what you just wrote is familiar to me, and I'm sure to many others here. There's hundreds of us who were once in your position or worse.

You're here for a reason - part of you must want to stop this

There's a lot of support and ideas here

D
Old 04-29-2013, 01:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You need to go see a Dr, im an RN in an ER and your symptoms dont sound disimilar from a stomach ulcer. Very common in alcoholics. Cramping abdominal pain, with shooting pains into your left shoulder and arm, vomiting and shortness of breath are the exact textbook symptoms. I see your symptoms have eased now, however that doesnt mean they wont return. I dont want to scare you, but if you do have an ulcer and it ruptures it could kill you. You need to go have these symptoms checked out. Hugs xx
Old 04-29-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I used to have the worst stomache pains when i was drinking. It' s been so much better after a Long period of sobriety and healthy diet (6 months plus). I' m not a doktor, but i know that alkohol can mess upp the stomache.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Not a doctor either, but I support the idea of a bland diet and over the counter antacids. They can help until you can get an appointment with a professional. I know, sometimes it takes a bit to get in there to see a dr, even though you've already decided you need to go, sometimes it takes longer than you'd like, which can be very frustrating. But don't give up if you start "feeling better" and decide to miss/cancel the appointment. Been there, done that. No bueno. Hang in there!
Old 04-29-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The stomach is designed to process and transport food. Ingesting healthy foods makes this organ run smoothly.

After ingestion, alcohol travels down the esophagus into the stomach, where some of it is absorbed into your bloodstream. The unabsorbed alcohol continues to move through the gastrointestinal tract. The majority of it will enter the small intestine and get absorbed into the bloodstream through the walls of the small intestine, or it can stay in the stomach and cause irritation.

While in the stomach, alcohol acts as an irritant and increases digestive juices (hydrochloric acid) that are secreted from the stomach lining. Intoxicating amounts of alcohol can halt the digestive process, robbing the body of vital vitamins and minerals. Chronic irritation may lead to damage to the lining of the stomach.

Drinking alcohol and taking medication that causes stomach irritation, such as aspirin, can cause gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining), ulcers, and severe bleeding.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cocopuff3315 View Post
Nope.
I think I've given up on life and just want to drink myself into oblivion. I can't handle sobriety and life. I have a lot of emotional problems, depression, social anxiety and have experienced a lot of crap most people can't relate to.

My family does not help just makes fun of my alcohol problem or blames me because of my drinking or blames my anxiety problems as an excuse to drink.

Sometimes stuff sucks and sometimes it blows but it's always going one way or the other. If you are experiencing health problems from drinking now don't expect it to get any easier if you continue.

For the me the pain of continuing drinking became far worse than the numbness it temporarily provided. There are natural ways to relieve stress instead of drinking. Please look into stress reducing remedies that don't include Alcohol consumption.