Notices

Do You Go To In-Person Meetings?

Old 10-13-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well I can't spill coffee on line. And i have really been down with the flu so Sr is a life saver. Could not be out today.But have this.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by PJ8
I have read about AVRT a bit on this site and have purchased the book, Rational Recovery. Is there a general discussion board somewhere for AVRT?
There most certainly is, PJ8, SoberRecovery has all the bases covered. If you want to learn more about SMART, SOS, AVRT and other alternatives to 12 Step programs, look at the Secular Connections forum. There is a long running thread with over 2500 posts about AVRT. I recommend you look at that or just start your own thread.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
It's pretty evident that you are self recovered and not in AA.....But for people that aren't capable of self recovery.....Like myself and millions of others...AA offers a solid proven program of recovery with an umatched system of support for the alcoholic....I'd recommend for anybody interested in AA meetings in person...Which the OP asked about....Try them out for a for awhile...Give them an openminded try for a few weeks....It's an incredible program and I like many others are living happy lives because of it.
I disagree. The wrong programme can exacerbate the problem. AA certainly did for many I know as it clouds addressing your addiction with New Age religion—so is probably not for really hard drinkers.

Everyone is capable of self-recovery like freshstart in as much as if you have the ability to put a drink to your lips you have the ability to stop it. Sure, some need more guidance than others to get to that point but that's what communities like this one are for.

By the way, I think you are confusing full stops/periods with ellipses.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I go to AA meetings regularly, but more and more I prefer SR to in-person meeting. I'm addicted to numerous chemical substances and AA meetings can be very narrow in there scope.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Recovered

Originally Posted by makeabigplan View Post
I disagree. The wrong programme can exacerbate the problem. AA certainly did for many I know as it clouds addressing your addiction with New Age religion—so is probably not for really hard drinkers.

Everyone is capable of self-recovery like freshstart in as much as if you have the ability to put a drink to your lips you have the ability to stop it. Sure, some need more guidance than others to get to that point but that's what communities like this one are for.

Sorry, but I had to lol at this post. First paragraph: wrong. Second paragraph: wrong. Third: I like to use ellipses, and apparently so do others. Live and let live.

If your method works for YOU, then great...share it. Poopooing another way (a way that you obviously no little/nothing about) is not. AA has saved countless people from the pit of misery and death. It only takes honesty, willingness, and an open mind to make a start, I almost died because of my closed mind...but thankfully I dropped my judgmental attitude. I couldn't save my face and my a$$ at the same time.

Have a great day!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey PJ! I did attend meetings early in my journey but found them to be counter productive for my long term sobriety. As you can see there are as many different opinions as there are different paths to sobriety..good luck to you!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Meetings work for some but not for others. Do what works for YOU!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Recovered

Meetings is where I have fellowship with my friends, share The Solution, and find newcomers to welcome and sponsor. I need to be there for the newcomer. It's less about what I get and more about what I can offer. I love meetings. I love AA. And I'm a hermit and nontheist, so that tells you something.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by makeabigplan View Post

negative comments of one persons method used for recovery can also exacerbate the problem.
now, on the other hand, if a person were to see where AA says it isnt for everyone and wants to see people find what works and our hats are off to them, then help them find what works, it is more helpful.

i personally wasnt capable of self recovery. now, if a person is capable of self recovery, then why would they need guidance? isnt that a contradiction?

by the way, i think you are quite confused on AA.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

All methods of recovery is self recovery, some just prefer a face to face support group.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Re-Member

If a salesman of new cars cannot tell me anything compellingly of value about his brand, and instead just tells me everything wrong with the competitor, I can surmise that his brand has nothing to offer except his bad words.

I say to all to attend five or six AA meetings, then read all the online SMART literature, GBT, AVRT, and see if any of them have anything you need. Then take what you need and leave the rest.

Disregard any hatreds or fears that one or another starts.

The over riding thing to remember is that AA is not mandatory. That they encourage meetings and support where other methods say no meetings and no sponsors. Try them all!

But never lose sight of the fact that you are free to walk from any of them. Stay sober and proud. I am proud for my friends who used AA, as well as my friends who used any other way. Many use just here.

We each have a path to take. The background noise of methods should never take priority over the goal. Getting off the sauce.

No method works all the time for everybody.

But here is the important part. No sober person by one method, invalidates a sober person by another method. In fact, now recovered, I don't need any method. I choose to be here because I admire my friends and hope to encourage the newbies that they can make it too, as I was no stronger or better than they are.

I used AA early on and was not kidnapped into a cult, no one tried to convert me to any religion or away from one. I used GBT and some SMART, and did not feel the need to be angry with other methods. I went to counseling and did not have my credit rating go bad or find myself in the newspapers the next day.
:rotfxko

Try them all, get sober, and then help another, even if they use another method.

My last word here is simple.

No one ever got, or stayed sober, just because they learned and nitpicked any AA or AVRT book.

Ok here is the secret to staying sober.

1. Don't drink.
2. Repeat as necessary.

Be as gentle with those that want what we have, as you needed when you got it.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

That's a beautiful sentiment, Itchy! I absolutely love the last part..the part that seems to elude so many... the secret to staying sober is to not drink, regardless of what one chooses to do to in addition to it. Meetings..AVRT..Smart are all add ons to the first step..NEVER INJEST ALCOHOL.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks nobs,
I think sobriety can be achieved without it having to be at the expense of another.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Absolutely Itchy!