Old 09-25-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

That's not my experience!!
Old 09-25-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

SubPop,

If you want definitive answers to your questions, or you're concerned about withdrawal and seizures, you need to see a Dr.

We can't give you medical advice here - none of us have the clinical expertise to diagnose the cause of your symptoms over the Internet

Go see your Dr - that way you can set your mind at ease
D
Old 09-25-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by SubPop View Post
Someone please tell me if this is a good start: I am going to not drink until the weekend. If I need a drink, I'll have one. When the weekend comes, I am not going to drink until much later and I will drink less. I will cut back to 1 cup of coffee, and I will try to cut back on smoking. I am very worried about quitting any of these things cold turkey, and even tapering. I can't go to work if I look like I am having a mental breakdown.
Dear Subpop--What you say here scares me, not because I have any special knowledge or experience--which I definitely don't--but because it is the exactly kind of reasoning I give to myself while I am busy destroying myself. --Mel
Old 09-25-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mel12 View Post
Dear Subpop--What you say here scares me, not because I have any special knowledge or experience--which I definitely don't--but because it is the exactly kind of reasoning I give to myself while I am busy destroying myself. --Mel
I am definitely destroying myself, no doubt about that, I just feel like there are people here that can give me a good sense of where I am with this problem, and how to deal with it. Obviously the healthiest choice is to cease all my habits, but life isn't exactly a sitcom. If I went cold turkey from everything at the same time, I would absolutely have a mental breakdown. I can't afford that at this point in my life. I have to start somewhere, so isn't cutting back a good first line of defense?

Bottom line - is it possible to just drink responsibly and not have withdrawals or any such problems? From what I have read, it could be worse. I could be drinking and driving or going to work drunk. I know it would be hard, but can it be done? Are you all saying that I am too far gone? I mean, yeah I feel terrible after drinking from hangovers - many of which have been terrible - but this is the first time it has gone beyond a day - and I am still not even sure if what I am feeling IS alcohol related.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

"I actually have no idea what to do. I don't know what is making me feel this way, I'm scared that I might end up in a hospital."

Why not quit drinking for a month? Many people in recovery continue to smoke and drink coffee for some time. You will know pretty quickly if thats what it is. On the flip side, I've honestly never heard anyone say that they quit drinking, but the tobacco and caffeine were the real problem.
I think deep down you know whats up, or you wouldn't be asking the questions you are asking.
I've been where you're at. You don't want to quit altogether. So you are trying a "gentler, softer way."
Best of luck. You have my sympathy.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

"Bottom line - is it possible to just drink responsibly and not have withdrawals or any such problems? "

No one can answer that but you. I tried for decades, and the resounding answer has been, no, not for any substantial length of time.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I am definitely destroying myself, no doubt about that, I just feel like there are people here that can give me a good sense of where I am with this problem, and how to deal with it. Obviously the healthiest choice is to cease all my habits, but life isn't exactly a sitcom. If I went cold turkey from everything at the same time, I would absolutely have a mental breakdown. I can't afford that at this point in my life. I have to start somewhere, so isn't cutting back a good first line of defense?

Bottom line - is it possible to just drink responsibly and not have withdrawals or any such problems? From what I have read, it could be worse. I could be drinking and driving or going to work drunk. I know it would be hard, but can it be done? Are you all saying that I am too far gone? I mean, yeah I feel terrible after drinking from hangovers - many of which have been terrible - but this is the first time it has gone beyond a day - and I am still not even sure if what I am feeling IS alcohol related.
Do yourself a favor - go to your doctor, or find one.

I drink caffine (cut back to a few sodas a day). I have been sober for years at a time, but have been drinking again the last few months.

Think about it - Caffine, nicotine, alcohol. Stimulant, Stimulant, depressant.

From one user (alcohol) to another, you need some major detox. I am a do it by myself person, but even from my bent eyes, you need guidance.

Start with your family doctor and come clean. You sound like you WANT help.

Toss
Old 09-25-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toss View Post
Do yourself a favor - go to your doctor, or find one.

I drink caffine (cut back to a few sodas a day). I have been sober for years at a time, but have been drinking again the last few months.

Think about it - Caffine, nicotine, alcohol. Stimulant, Stimulant, depressant.

From one user (alcohol) to another, you need some major detox. I am a do it by myself person, but even from my bent eyes, you need guidance.

Start with your family doctor and come clean. You sound like you WANT help.

Toss
Toss, I appreciate your answer, I really do, but you are adding to my confusion. Some people here have said I just need to rest and "chill out" on the drinking, and others are replying like I've already destroyed my life or something. And here I am cycling between the thoughts. I'm a pretty paranoid guy, so if you guys are trying to scare me sober, it is working.

I'd like to make it clear that I do not drink to the point of a hangover all the time. Sometimes when I binge, I still don't even get a hangover. As of right now, there are still some days I don't drink. Some days I'll have one, somedays 3-4, and the only for certain thing is that by the time I'm in bed on Friday and Saturday, I am what I consider drunk. Is that enough to really make me a full blown addict, or just someone flirting hardcore with disaster?

Also, I was exaggerating about quitting everything cold turkey. I would absolutely feel like **** (have quit coffee and cigs before) but I was exaggerating when I said mental breakdown.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'd like to make it clear that I do not drink to the point of a hangover all the time. Sometimes when I binge, I still don't even get a hangover. As of right now, there are still some days I don't drink. Some days I'll have one, somedays 3-4, and the only for certain thing is that by the time I'm in bed on Friday and Saturday, I am what I consider drunk. Is that enough to really make me

Also, I was exaggerating about quitting everything cold turkey. I would absolutely feel like **** (have quit coffee and cigs before) but I was exaggerating when I said mental breakdown.
So you have a more reactive addiction, where mine is steady and predictable.

I don't care if you shove carrots up your nose and sing disco, talk to someone.

I drink several beers at night to calm the inner voices. I will stop again (I do like to sleep).

My wife is making an appointment with the family doctor next week because I need a checkup (code for your drinking again and your looking like a bloated bear).

Dare you to see a doctor - do it and I will as well.

Balls in your court.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Zee

Hi Sub...
Why don't you have a read of this. I agree with Dee, go and see a Dr. I have hypochondria too! My poor Dr. is overworked!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 09-25-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

you are adding to my confusion. Some people here have said I just need to rest and "chill out" on the drinking, and others are replying like I've already destroyed my life or something. And here I am cycling between the thoughts. I'm a pretty paranoid guy, so if you guys are trying to scare me sober, it is working.
Noones trying to scare you subpop...but all you'll get here are opinions...they will differ widely, and noone makes any claim to expertise.

If you want expert advice...rather than panicking - see a Dr.

I know seeing a Dr is scary believe me, but you're already scaring yourself here, yeah?

D
Old 09-25-2012, 10:02 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Hi Sub...
Why don't you have a read of this. I agree with Dee, go and see a Dr. I have hypochondria too! My poor Dr. is overworked!
Wow. I just read all of that and what you guys have gone through seems like hell. I don't know what to say. I never realized alcohol withdrawal could be that bad. I didn't realize that alcohol dependence could be that bad. Many of those are real horror stories. I respect the hell out of you guys now. I can't imagine drinking that much, over that many days, over that many decades even. I mean no offense, but wow! That is a LOT of BOOZE!

I think I have made out lucky or caught my self early enough or something. I do see that I have drank enough for a long enough amount of time to not exactly get away scott free, but it looks like things could be a LOT worse.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I hope the lack of responses isn't from me offending anyone...
Old 09-26-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Noones trying to scare you subpop...but all you'll get here are opinions...they will differ widely, and noone makes any claim to expertise.

If you want expert advice...rather than panicking - see a Dr.

I know seeing a Dr is scary believe me, but you're already scaring yourself here, yeah?

D
This is really solid advice.

Play it safe and see a Doctor!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I also want to ask if it is possible to become full blown addicted to alcohol from only roughly 3 years of drinking like this. It started at around 20 and really took off at 21, for obvious reasons. I am currently 23. I started drinking at 18, but that might have been just from going to a party every other week,.
I know for me i got hooked on alcohol at the age of 22, I started drinking all the time when i was 20. So it is possible, it happened to me.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think anyones offended Sub - but I know I don't want to badger you anymore on the Dr thing - in the end, that's your call

D
Old 09-28-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Bottom line - is it possible to just drink responsibly and not have withdrawals or any such problems?
Hi SubPop,

Doctors say it is possible to drink responsibly.

On the other hand, even at my worst, I never drank as much as you do, but I must quit 100% (believe me!). What that tells me is that people's sensitivity and vulnerability vary widely, and doctors' guidelines may not apply in all cases.

Mel
Old 09-29-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

From your posts...Yes! it's started.
Your drinking is obviously a big concern and yet...you keep on.
When I did that is when I considered myself to be an active alcoholic.

Plese stop messing around and have an honest talk with your doctor.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Alright, I am looking into seeing a doctor about this. But in the meantime, I am way to scared to quit cold turkey. I think tapering is the way to go, but given my erratic drinking, I don't quite know how to do it. So far I've been having the bare minimum to keep withdrawals at bay, but I have no idea how long to do this. 3 beers a night for a week and then 2 a night for a week? 3 one night, then two the next? Anyone?
Old 09-30-2012, 10:33 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

When do you plan on seeing this doctor?....Next month?. A good doctor with at least some experience with addiction can make quitting completely safe and comfortable for you. Then I'd recommend getting into a proven program like AA...Following the suggestions of the many people you will meet there that have beat this....And going on to enjoy a new life. I grew up in Fairfax...Nice town.