Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Question for those who have been sober for some time...

Notices

Question for those who have been sober for some time...

Old 09-18-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Do i miss it.......hell no

Do i crave or desire it.....nope.

Some benefit ?.........peace of mind, wonderful deep sleep, a healthy appetite, a mother that now looks younger than me. cos she sleeps at night.
Restored family relationships, a good job, a group of close friends in AA, a renewed faith, ive even been called predictable lol........i also get the chance to help others ..which i get a real kick out of.

Some things i dont miss.....sleeping in shop doorways or under bridges...pan handling for cash, in and out of jail, in and out of hospital, stealing, and generally being a drain on society .

12 years 19 days
Old 09-18-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Sometimes there is a desire for a cold one, or a glass of merlot with dinner, but that desire doesn't come from me anymore. I take a look at the desire, understand it for what it is and what it means, and accept that I feel that way sometimes.

There is no panic or anxiety associated with that feeling when it comes now. I would only be possible for me to feel anxious if there was a possibility of me ever drinking again, but there is zero chance of that happening. So when this urge comes it carries nothing with it anymore. It is an empty urge now, if that makes any sense. Because it is empty, I can give it a flick of attention, and it disappears.

My last drink was about 13 months ago now.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I think my last really bad craving was a couple days before my 6 month anniversary. I pulled into the parking lot of a beer store and almost went in. But I didn't. I think that was my addictions last fighting kick. I had one other one at about the 9 month mark when I moved my cousin. He had a stroke and wasn't really any help. And I got very tired,and hungry (something we aren't supposed to do). But I have been craving free since then. I have been sober 3 and1/2 years.
I would be lying if I said I sometimes don't miss the feeling and taste of that first beer. But I realize I just can't an thats that. Not a big deal.
But the hell of it is. I have replaced it with chocolate. I am very active,and havn't gained any weight. But once I start eating chocolate I just can't stop till it's all gone. I'm a binge chocolate eater. I started not long after I quit drinking. They say we aren't supposed to eat sugar. It makes the cravings worse. But the way I saw it. After eating 1/2 of a chocolate cake. Beer just doesn't sound good.
Fred
Old 09-18-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Sober since July 1991. No I don't miss it, yes the craving has gone away, but even though I don't feel that "ravenous dog" anymore I know I still need to be somewhat vigilant (without going overboard)about humility re: my powerlessness when it comes to alcohol. I don't hang out in bars or with people who drink more than occasionally, and I really don't feel comfortable in that scene anymore. The drinking, drugging "friends" fell away when I started recovery, I didn't have to work that hard to get rid of them. Walking through life sober takes big time courage, but it gets easier, God Bless.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

Yes, the cravings go away. I'll be sober 31 years in November. The physical compulsion and mental obsession were lifted from me early and I haven't wanted to drink since Ronald Reagan was president. Seriously. I mean the I really need a drink now or i'll die, wanting to drink. Every now and then I'll think about it but it's gone in a second.

Work your program and stay close to your people. You're in for the ride of your life.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Red79 View Post
Does the craving ever truly go away...do you miss it?
In my case, the craving not only truly went away, it all happened in the blink of an eye. That is why I know it was a "Spiritual Awakening" and not some learning experience.

That's not how I expected it would happen. That's not how I wanted it to happen. That's just the way it happened. One minute I wanted to drink more than anything else in the world. Then puff, I suddenly had zero interest in drinking.

It was not even a pleasant experience for me. It was kind of spooky. It really through a monkey wrench into my entire concept of existentialism.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:10 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The urges/cravings to drink left me by the end of 2 months of
AA recovery. Regardless of what else has happened during the
past 23 years ...bad and good...i've not wanted to drink again.

No I don't miss the drinking me at all...this second chance at a
life full of purpose and joy is really awesome...

This can be true for you as well...Welcome ..

Last edited by CarolD; 10-06-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:35 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

The compulsion to drink took about six months to go away, the cravings took a couple of years. I still have thoughts of it now and then. As for missing, sometimes I get the thought that catching a nice buzz would be nice. But, thinking it through, I was never able to stop at that nice buzz.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:03 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

This is great news that it goes away
Old 09-19-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Let go and Let God!

Been sober over 9 years and yes the craving has went away. It took me working the steps to get rid of the craving.

Work a program and you will be amazed how much you enjoy life sober!!
Old 09-19-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sober almost three years now and no cravings except once in a blue moon, which is easily dismissed. I know where drinking will take me and I never want to go back to that hell.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

least, I love your signature quotes!!!
Old 09-19-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Five months sober... no, I don't miss alcohol. I don't even miss the social aspect of it any more, either, which I used to. I have replaced my old habits with new ones and I can't even contemplate sitting in one spot, drinking and smoking, for hours now. The thought of it repulses me! When I go to pubs or bars now, I don't think twice about ordering soft drinks, because it is just second nature to me now. I don't feel anxious or fidgety when I'm around other people drinking - it is just normal for me to be sober in those situations now. I sometimes get fleeting thoughts about drinking (though they never last more than a couple of seconds before I laugh at the thought and it goes away) but it wouldn't ever cross my mind to act upon them.

It's really weird, but in five months I have changed so much... everything I want in life and how I view myself is totally different, and the thought of going back to who I was is terrifying, absolutely terrifying! So no, I don't miss alcohol AT ALL.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Red79 View Post
Does the craving ever truly go away...do you miss it?
Yes it goes away. It fades and gets replaced with life.
I do not miss alcohol. My life now compared to then is indescribably better. I will never go back.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by thisisme View Post
Yes it goes away. It fades and gets replaced with life.
Wow is that ever true. It gave me chills to read.

It is absolutely true that life has displaced alcoholism in myself. I think of how empty my life was as an active alcoholic and it makes me very sad. No longing for that.

However before I got 'here' I had to accept that I can't drink like a normal person.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I have not drank since March 13,2004...For the first few years I was o.k. with it,but in the past year,Alot has changed for me and now I think about it everyday..All day..I am scared,:[
Old 09-25-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by luckycharm612 View Post
I have not drank since March 13,2004...For the first few years I was o.k. with it,but in the past year,Alot has changed for me and now I think about it everyday..All day..I am scared,:[
Welcome to SR, luckycharms.

You've been sober for a few years, awesome. Its okay that things have changed, what is not okay is being scared we might lose our sobriety. Fear is no friend of ours, yeah?

You may want to begin a new thread for yourself in alcoholism or newcomers forum, but having said that, its great you posted!

Since you were doing o.k. for the first few years, what has changed that is causing you so much fear this last year?

We're here to help.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

The first 7 years were kind of hard,but this last year,since alot has happened in my life i am upset about,i think about it everyday all day and I am petrified....
Old 09-25-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by luckycharm612 View Post
The first 7 years were kind of hard,but this last year,since alot has happened in my life i am upset about,i think about it everyday all day and I am petrified....
Thanks.

Gonna need some details...
Not so much what happened..
More details about why your fears are no longer being taken care of properly, like they were for those first few years...

What changed in how you deal with your fears?
Old 09-25-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Yes it totally goes away, with some work. No, I never miss it.