Notices

unappreciated sobriety

Old 09-20-2012, 01:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy unappreciated sobriety

anyone else feel like no one else cares that you are sober now? i've been sober 286 days. don't think anyone has ever congratulated me or told me i was doing a good job. am i crazy or are the people around me just dumb? i'd also like to state that i am not fishing for words of encourgement, i'm just frustrated.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

People mostly only give a f**k about themselves anyways, unless they are close friends

Massive well done to you though!

x
Old 09-20-2012, 01:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Hi Goldiefox, and welcome to SR!

286 days sober is awesome! Well done.

In the early days of quitting drinking, we sometimes don't always get along with ourselves, or others, as well as we might want too. We often have some difficulties appreciating the changes required to our lifestyle so as to enjoy the sobriety we are actually having.

What I mean is, others may not be able to clearly appreciate about ourselves what we ourselves have difficulty appreciating for ourselves.

Are you happy and satisfied with your sobriety, Goldiefox?
Old 09-20-2012, 01:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Goldiefox

Sorry you feel under appreciated - maybe it's good to try and look at it from a 'normal' point of view...not drinking is something 'normal' people do every day.

I'm not downplaying your achievement at all....but maybe it's an achievement only others like us can only truly understand?

Sometimes I think it's hard for even those closest to us to understand how we feel in the beginning if they don't share our problem.

Sometimes too, I reckon those closest to us might be going through their own recovery too, don't you think?

I'm glad you've joined us - you'll find a lot of support here...congrats on your 286 days.

D
Old 09-20-2012, 02:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dear goldiefox,

you have done incredibly well!

Just a quick comment to say that your post made me think that I don't tell my brother enough how well he is doing either...it is (I think) because I am afraid of bringing it up in case it somehow retriggers the memories for him and his desires come back - I do ask if he is ok, but rarely ask about his AA meetings and alcohol.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Know excatly how you feel... you do your best and more but nobody ever asks how it is or if you are having a bad time...as if it's all just normal.
Only someone who has been through the same hell has an idea..
Old 09-20-2012, 03:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Everyone here knows how much of an achievement that is. Congratulations

I get the occasional 'well done' comment, but I'm completely different - I don't really like it when people make a big deal out of it. It embarrasses me, in a way, and I find it quite patronising when people speak to me like I'm a child who has just learned to tie their shoelaces. My husband tells me sometimes how well I'm doing, etc, that I'm so healthy and happy now (but he doesn't mention that it's to do with being sober) and I like that - it's good to know people notice that I'm a better person.

I try not to think about what other people think. I know how much it means to be sober, SR knows how much it means to be sober, and that's enough for me

Don't let it get you down - what's important is that you have improved your life and your health.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

Well done on your time. Sobriety is it,s own reward. It's between you and you.

Gratitude thread daily has really helped me
Old 09-20-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Hey Goldie!

Your clean time is awesome and I know the challenges it represents. It's very encouraging to all of us that you have that time and that you share your success with us. Sometimes when our days are hard, we need to see that many many people faced hard days and stayed sober!

There are many reasons people around us don't mention our clean time, etc. Some don't know what to say, feel embarrassed or think they will embarrass us, are afraid to "jinx" it, don't notice it, don't understand it's a big deal, never knew we had a problem in the first place, have no clue how challenging it is to recover, have so much going on in their own lives that we are not even on their radar.

We do the same thing back. We have people all around us who are overcoming something huge, facing something difficult and doing what they need to do every single day. Often we don't realize it. Often we've forgotten that 6 months ago someone had a loved one pass away, or have a daily struggle with a horrible boss, or is losing their home to forclosure. the list goes on and on.

that's one of the huge benefits of a group like SR, or other recovery and support groups. We are around people who understand, who get to know us and whom we feel comfortable sharing our struggles and joys with. The whole world can't understand and appreciate our situation, but we find a community that can.

I'm glad you're here, and so happy you're sober. I'm happy I am sober too.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by goldiefox View Post
anyone else feel like no one else cares that you are sober now? i've been sober 286 days. don't think anyone has ever congratulated me or told me i was doing a good job. am i crazy or are the people around me just dumb? i'd also like to state that i am not fishing for words of encourgement, i'm just frustrated.
I could go out to my local pubs and drink like a fish, or, remain totally sober an no one would give a single care but, I would and certainly my husband and daughter would. Also my friends from AA would but to be perfectly honest most peeps really only care about themselves, especially drinking companions. Just think you are awesome, you feel wonderful, you must be able to do more, have a better life etc. Don't worry what they think, do it for you, your life. 286 days is totally and utterly amazing. Also, bear in mind this : a lot of drinking friends are actually jealous of your achievement and would dearly love to be able to do the same. Good luck x
Old 09-20-2012, 05:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awesome on your recovery... 286 days is getting serious. I know that first year is tough.

My own experience is that it was tough on my wife as well, LOLOLOL... and no words of congrats or encouragement came from her direction... I made the mistake of asking her how she thought I was doing and I didn't like the answer, LOLOL... Things are fine now, but this whole sobriety thing is difficult on relationships that have been built over decades like ours was... and no, things aren't always the same as they were... realities don't always meet expectations... sometimes they exceed them, thank God, but not always.

No, our kudos must come from within ourselves and from our friends in recovery. If we get unsolicited kudos from family and friends, often they are oblique and we may miss them, or they are silent, or there could be a wait and see if this is gonna stick.

We are doing what other non addicted people do without even trying, so to them, it's not a big deal... You are not alone in your frustration, this question pops up with some regularity.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Unfortunately we live in a 'self centered' and 'self obsessed' World, if you know what I mean
Old 09-20-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

When I first got sober, my husband told me he wanted to celebrate my 3 months, 6 months, year by taking me somewhere nice for dinner. Personally I was uncomfortable with that, I didn't feel that doing what I should be doing as a healthy person should be congratulated at all. But that's just me All of my 'atta girl's came from myself, how I was feeling, the new opportunities in my life and my relationships, and my gratitude for what I had done and continue to do just grows and grows.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

goldiefox: Congrats on your sober time!

One thing I've learned is that most folks simply are not impressed by the fact that we aren't getting drunk and making fools of ourselves. They view the absence of such behavior as no big deal because it is simply what's expected in mainstream society, and they are no more going to congratulate us for it than they are going to congratulate us for brushing our teeth.

It can be hard, I know, to accept that what is such a big deal for us means so little to others, but that's just how it is.

The good news is that a healthy life free of addiction is its own reward. That, too, is how it is.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I just try to remember I'm doing this for myself first and foremost.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post

We do the same thing back. We have people all around us who are overcoming something huge, facing something difficult and doing what they need to do every single day. Often we don't realize it. Often we've forgotten that 6 months ago someone had a loved one pass away, or have a daily struggle with a horrible boss, or is losing their home to forclosure. the list goes on and on.

that's one of the huge benefits of a group like SR, or other recovery and support groups. We are around people who understand, who get to know us and whom we feel comfortable sharing our struggles and joys with. The whole world can't understand and appreciate our situation, but we find a community that can.
This is also a very good point. Because of the job I have, I am exposed on a daily basis to the depth of problems people have. It never ceases to amaze me the stuff people carry around with them. Witnessing that each day, it becomes ever more clear to me that my past struggles with addiction, an eating disorder, family dysfunction and the like are unique only in the sense that they have been MY life's challenges. In the grand scheme of challenges people face, mine have actually been fairly mild.

Sometimes it is really helpful to look at the larger picture.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations on your progress...
How did you do it?

Welcome to our recovery community....
Old 09-20-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

286 is great! We get that and understand it. That is part of what is great about this site.
I agree that it can be tricky for those around us though. Through no fault of their own, they probably either can't relate or are unsure about the proper way to respond. As evidence by the responses above, we all have different preferences and expectations!

In my case, I am ok keeping my progress on the "down-low". Seems to make it is easier for everyone. I read one post that said something like "An alcoholic is the only one that thinks they deserve a medal for running out of a burning bulding." That struck me as more than a little harsh at the time. However, the more I thought about it....it sort of made sense. When I think of it that way, it makes it easier to not expect anyone to make a big deal out of me doing a smart thing to save my own life. I am just glad to be out of that freakin' building!

BTW, I am nowhere near 286 this time around (only about 2 months). Even my best go-around was only about 9 months so you are an inspiration to me. 286 is a big deal!
Old 09-20-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by goldiefox View Post
anyone else feel like no one else cares that you are sober now? i've been sober 286 days. don't think anyone has ever congratulated me or told me i was doing a good job. am i crazy or are the people around me just dumb?
Outside of the rooms of AA, no one has congratulated me either. I guess they just think:

"It's about time he started doing what he should have been doing all along".
Old 09-20-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Unless they have been there....

or know how bad your situation was before, they just dont get it. The only people who have congratulated me have been sober for years and you folks here at SR.

I believe that our society thinks alcohol consumption is 'normal' and that if you can function daily, you dont have a problem. Since it is 'normal' and most people drink, sobriety is rarely considered a victory to be celebrated.....

WE KNOW HOW AWESOME 286 DAYS IS!!!!!