Notices

Background screening and employment (DUI's)

Old 08-09-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Background screening and employment (DUI's)

Hi Everyone,

I have 2 DUI convictions on my record 6 years apart but the most recent occurred last year. The first DUI did not prevent me from landing a great job, I was upfront about it and the hiring manager was understanding and didn't seem to care as long as HR was ok with it (which they were). In fact I had two job offers and it didn't seem either company cared.

Now with the 2nd DUI incident I'm deeply concerned. I was laid off before the 2nd incident and in the process of completing a master degree. I'm starting to look for jobs again and I don't know what to expect having 2 DUI's on my record. I feel people are much more forgiving over one incident but two??

Can any of you who have been in similar situation share your experience with multiple DUI's and employment/background screening?

I know I will be honest about it as I will NOT lie on the applications.

I'm a professional working in corp environment. Im really stressed but I'm moving forward and have made major changes in myself and my behavior. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What are you doing to stay sober to avoid further DUI's ?

I suggest you seek out a local lawyer.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
High on Life

I heard about someone who was in this situation and it was extremely hard for them to get a job. I'm not sure what happened to them, but hopefully everything worked out OK. I have 2 DUIs, but one only shows up. I was lucky, because NJ didn't count them as misdemeanors when I got my first one, it was just a major traffic violation.

I imagine with something like a DUI you have to show them that you have changed. Like going to rehab or something. They want to know that you are taking the steps to make sure this will never happen again, otherwise you're seen as a liability that they can't afford.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TorontoGuy28 View Post
What are you doing to stay sober to avoid further DUI's ?

I suggest you seek out a local lawyer.
Well what's painful is that this was my "first" time since the first event that I had driven with any amount of alcohol in my system. I was stopped for a simple traffic violation and my bad was .03 but because of zero tolerance it automatically turned into a 2nd conviction. I would rather not share why I drove but lets just say I was under a circumstance that I did. hindsight 20/20 I would not do it under any circumstance again.

Even for a social drinker I drink very little. My first DUI was a .09 and the second was below the limit but zero tolerance got me. At this point I'm just trying to piece my life back together and moving on.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree, I'd seek out a lawyer for advice. Unfortunately 2 DUIs is definitely indicative of a pattern of alcohol abuse, if not worse. I agree with your notion to not lie, if they discover you have lied they would automatically disqualify you.

Don't get discouraged, sounds like you have a lot of positives too (graduate school) but you need to figure out how you can be sure that is what stands out. Sorry if it sounds harsh but a DUI is a DUI, I think going into details regarding your BAC sounds like you are rationalizing.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do you have any references from a sobriety program that could vouch for you and your personal life changes since the 2nd incident?
Old 08-09-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Unless you know for sure they will do a extensive background check, I would lie. You have to eat & pay bills. I have an extensive criminal history & will have to get a printout to see what exactly I was convicted of. The key word being convicted because several cases I had I received a discharge.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

[QUOTE=rumi36;3525872]Well what's painful is that this was my "first" time since the first event that I had driven with any amount of alcohol in my system. I was stopped for a simple traffic violation and my bad was .03 but because of zero tolerance it automatically turned into a 2nd conviction. I would rather not share why I drove but lets just say I was under a circumstance that I did. hindsight 20/20 I would not do it under any circumstance again.

A .03 BAC?? That is like one maybe two beers. I would explain to the interviewer that you should not of even been arrested.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Sounds like really bad luck. Maybe don't drink again?

Find an attorney. You can get through this.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
I agree, I'd seek out a lawyer for advice. Unfortunately 2 DUIs is definitely indicative of a pattern of alcohol abuse, if not worse. I agree with your notion to not lie, if they discover you have lied they would automatically disqualify you.

Don't get discouraged, sounds like you have a lot of positives too (graduate school) but you need to figure out how you can be sure that is what stands out. Sorry if it sounds harsh but a DUI is a DUI, I think going into details regarding your BAC sounds like you are rationalizing.
Thanks! It's been a stressful year but I'm managing. However I disagree on "Unfortunately 2 DUIs is definitely indicative of a pattern of alcohol abuse, if not worse".

2 DUI's could mean alcohol abuse but certainly not "definite". There are those who abuse alcohol and have zero DUI's. However what is definite is "stupidity".

Having been convicted of a 2nd DUI with a .03 bac is a trap and more money for the city than anything else. But the law is the law and drinking and driving should just be zero tolerance all together in my opinion.

I do appreciate everyones response and hopefully more will share their experience
Old 08-09-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rumi36 View Post
Well what's painful is that this was my "first" time since the first event that I had driven with any amount of alcohol in my system. I was stopped for a simple traffic violation and my bad was .03 but because of zero tolerance it automatically turned into a 2nd conviction. I would rather not share why I drove but lets just say I was under a circumstance that I did. hindsight 20/20 I would not do it under any circumstance again.

Even for a social drinker I drink very little. My first DUI was a .09 and the second was below the limit but zero tolerance got me. At this point I'm just trying to piece my life back together and moving on.
Why would you be breathalizyered for what was a .03? Or had to do "the walk"? A simple traffic violation this happened? I'm not doubting you but quite odd.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KissMyTiara View Post
Why would you be breathalizyered for what was a .03? Or had to do "the walk"? A simple traffic violation this happened? I'm not doubting you but quite odd.
Well when they pulled me over they asked for my drivers license and of course when they ran it showed my prior from 6 years ago so I automatically became a red flag. This was at night and busy part of town with many restaurants. He asked if I had anything to drink and I said yes knowing I was below limit didn't think it would turn into disaster. So he said you do realize that you are zero tolerance. Since I never drink and drove after my first DUI I just had not thought about zero tolerance. I was no longer on probation and thought I will be fine but was I wrong. Pretty much I was truthful with the officer and that was enough. Unfortunately I was in a circumstance that lead to me to drive that night and that is why I have made a choice not to drink in public ever again. Because no matter how careful you are you never know and something could happen and put you in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Anyways I'm hoping I'll hear more about other peoples experience with handling employment and DUI's.

But I truly believe that DUI laws should adopt zero tolerance. What you don't want to do is leave any gray area because that's where they will get ya. But I suppose it will never be zero tolerance because there is too much revenue at stake for many parties (lawyers, restaurants, bars, city, etc, etc)
Old 08-06-2017, 08:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Rumi,

Not sure if you still get updates from this thread but I would really appreciate it if you would reply to me if you do see this.

I am currently in the EXACT same situation - I recently got my 2nd DUI, currently am in grad school, and also got laid off after my first DUI. Ive been going crazy thinking about this and dont know how to deal with it. Obviously feel bad and disgusted with myself. Dont know who to turn to, was hoping you could possibly give me some advice?

How did it turn out for you? Were you able to find a job? what were your main challenges at the time? Anything would help.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi gradstudent - welcome

The Original Poster may not be around but others will have experience to share
Old 08-06-2017, 08:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Soberado

If you need to drive for your job such as in a sales position I would contact an attorney to see if your record can be expunged.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was arrested for DUI in 1993 but I got out of it because I had a lawyer that paid off the mayor.

I do have felonies on my record from a 1987 burglary. When looking for a job I never admitted to these crimes if asked on an application and it never came up.

But in today's world information is so easy to obtain that now my 30 year old felonies are popping up on background checks. I couldn't even get a low paying job at a stupid temporary service.

I just tell the truth about my felonies if it comes up - if I lie about it and it comes up I won't get the job anyways because I look like an untrustworthy liar. I think most people realize I am not the same stupid kid I was 30 years ago.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
Unless you know for sure they will do a extensive background check, I would lie. You have to eat & pay bills. I have an extensive criminal history & will have to get a printout to see what exactly I was convicted of. The key word being convicted because several cases I had I received a discharge.
To me, this is not good advice. A very key part of being sober is complete honesty in all aspects of your life. Being a liar is not compatible with sobriety. That may be the life you lived that has lead you to this point but it's time to change and being honest is a huge part of that change. Lying is one of the things we drink to forget we've done, like many other things in life.

There really isn't much you can do but keep going forward in sobriety being honest and always doing your best to do the next right thing. Life will still kick you but more often than not you will come out on top when you do the right thing.

Also, are you in AA? If not I would strongly suggest getting involved and getting a sponsor who can help you reason through things like this. Those 12 steps might just save your life.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
Unless you know for sure they will do a extensive background check, I would lie. You have to eat & pay bills.
I might too. In many (but certainly not all) lines of work, two DUIs means you have a major problem and are too much of a risk to hire, unless you walk on water and have really valuable skills that offset the risk, or know people there, etc. However, it's also easy these days for an employer to check, many won't but if they do and discover you lied, you almost certainly won't get the job. So it depends how likely you think it is that they'll pass on you because of two DUIs, and how likely you think it is that they'll check your record.

I was honest (one DUI, not two) with both my current employers, so that worked out for me. But if I really thought that was going to be a deal breaker on getting the job, I would not have hesitated (much...) to not answer that question truthfully.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If you lie, and get caught, that is immediate grounds for termination. I actually know someone who lied about their criminal past on an application, and after being told he had the job, the offer was rescinded when they discovered the lie. If you want the job, do not lie.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was responsible for hiring employees in a large corporation. The background check was a separate process from my interviews. Basically, asset protection conducted the background check and it is mostly a computer making a decision. If an applicant failed the background check, there was nothing I or anyone could do. They were coded red in the system and were unhireable.

That being said, DUIs were not a disqualifier for employment at the corporation I worked for. Most felonies were, however. And any conviction for theft, robbery, burglary were also big no-nos. I had many employees and coworkers who had DUIs on their record.

As for lying, I don't know if that would help or hurt you. What usually happens is applicants are too honest, and list things they never should have mentioned. For instance, I've had applicants check the box and detail a 20 year old arrest that never led to a conviction. That didn't turn up on the background check, but because they had mentioned it, they were required to explain it! You are probably better off being honest, but if it asks you about convictions, only list convictions. Same for felonies... if they only ask you to list felonies, don't go down a laundry list of speeding tickets and bar brawls.

Good luck