Notices

Background screening and employment (DUI's)

Old 12-01-2017, 04:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Any new updates on this, I am in a very similar situation.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Redstarspade. The original post in this thread is over 5 years old so you won't likely get a direct response. Having said that, what can we help you with? You'll find a lot of support and understanding here.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

In the UK convictions for DUI (all convictions apart from sexual crimes - i think) become 'spent' after a number of years. I think 'drink driving', what we call DUI in the UK is 'spent' after 7 years. This means that the conviction will not show up on a standard criminal record 'Disclosure' which are the only type of Disclosure that employers can ask for - apart from when the role involves direct contact with kids or vulnerable people. In my scenario your DUIs would still be on your record for employers to see so dependent on the similarities, you may want to be honest about them and explain how marginal they both were ..
Old 12-03-2017, 10:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rumi36 View Post
Thanks! It's been a stressful year but I'm managing. However I disagree on "Unfortunately 2 DUIs is definitely indicative of a pattern of alcohol abuse, if not worse".

2 DUI's could mean alcohol abuse but certainly not "definite". There are those who abuse alcohol and have zero DUI's. However what is definite is "stupidity".

Having been convicted of a 2nd DUI with a .03 bac is a trap and more money for the city than anything else. But the law is the law and drinking and driving should just be zero tolerance all together in my opinion.

I do appreciate everyones response and hopefully more will share their experience
I'd be very careful about telling yourself you dont have a drinking problem. After all.... you ARE on THIS website. Why are you on SoberRecovery.com is you dont think you have an issue? Because 2 DUI's DOES reflect a problem to employers. Just sayin'....
Old 12-04-2017, 02:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

This is a complicated situation for both the employee and the employer. As a friend of mine who is an HR manager for a public company told me. There is increasing pressure on all larger companies to screen job candidates with a criminal record check. The thought she shared is this. As more and more companies screen candidates the companies that do not screen will end up with a greater and greater percent of the criminals in their employee population. Thus, companies (at least the larger ones) will probably increase their screening activities.

So I won't even make a moral case against lying. It's just plain stupid.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
If you lie, and get caught, that is immediate grounds for termination. I actually know someone who lied about their criminal past on an application, and after being told he had the job, the offer was rescinded when they discovered the lie. If you want the job, do not lie.
Very well put.

I would also add that, if you want to stay sober, do not lie.