Notices

Biased sample here?

Old 07-31-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Biased sample here?

Do you think we represent a group of particularly morose drinkers? I would love to hear stories from drinkers who quit and never looked back or counted days, just viewed life as before and after they quit and got on with it.

Unfortunately they probably wouldn't be on a computer forum about not drinking.

I know a lot of you here are happy non-drinkers, but there is a huge push behind so many of you for a particular program and that's not what I'm after, I want to be DONE with it all (including being here, I guess I'm scared to try). I just want to BE me, not try and define me, or frame my drinking history as this or that, because of this or that of cured by this or that. I hate the constant internal dialogue.

Any stories or thoughts?
Old 07-31-2012, 09:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

All my best as you move into a sober future if that is your goal

We have members from many places doing all sorts of things
to improve our lives...hope you find something that works
Old 07-31-2012, 09:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry, that's not my intent at all CarolD. I'm looking for stories from people who quit and never looked back. Unfortunately, as this is a website devoted to people grappling with quitting it's probably not the best place to find it (hence the title 'biased sample').

SR is great, but I want to learn to not rely on anything external to stay a happy non-drinker. Unfortunately I'm not there yet--still looking for stories but don't like my chances.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel that way about booze—done with it. I still get the odd impulse now and then, but there's no dialogue, no debate. I just observe, let it do its thing and then move on.

I ask myself sometimes why I still come here. SR felt essential to me early on, but like I said, I'm done. I've been coming to SR less and less, but there are still days like today, where I might be on for an hour or two.

I think part of the reason is intellectual—the fact I was an addict was a huge part of my life. I want to understand it. It's only been a year and half since I quit, and only about a year that I've been far enough away I could really get a clear of view it all, start to take its measure. I also think part of the reason is emotional: a desire to be around people who have been through, or are now going through, similar experiences. I think that's a pretty normal instinct. And hell, SR gave me hope when I needed it most. It's cool to be around that, at least for me, for now.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've been an AA recovered alcoholic for decades...so I can only
share from my expereince.....however

it gives me purpose and joy to use SR
It does not define me as anything but a member who wants to
assist anyone interested .

The only time I think of drinking is when I share in meetings or on here.
I agree....there is much more in life than dwelling on the past..
Old 07-31-2012, 09:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I would love to hear stories from drinkers who quit and never looked back or counted days, just viewed life as before and after they quit and got on with it.
*waves hello*Erm, that would be me. I am sober for a year or so, I quit drinking one morning around 9:30. It was not easy by a long shot, but it was indeed very simple. I used to be addicted to alcohol, but I am not anymore.

I have told my story many times, and you can look at my posts and read how I am supporting my particular flavor of the truth. I refused the notion of a never ending struggle against with alcohol. I had already wasted a decade or two on the darn stuff, and dagnabbit if I was going to waste any more time on it.

I wanted and achieved a sobriety that depends on nothing for it to prevail. There is no condition or feeling or situation or requirement that I need to meet to keep from ever drinking again. Onward!

A population like this one will naturally shed members who got sober, stayed sober, then got busy with stuff and moved on with it.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I accepted long ago I'll never be done with it.
I work hard to stay in recovery but it's not a chore...it's like regular exercise, really.

That doesn't mean that my life revolves around recovery - if anything it's the other way round - I don't live to recover...I recover to live.

My life still has its challenges and up and downs but I love it and I'm happy

I would say I quit and never looked back ....you can look in the Stories of Recovery forum for my story donenow

D
Old 07-31-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ReayandAble, beautiful post! Thankyou. I guess I'm looking for MORE silver linings, more light at the end of the tunnel. I'm relatively new to quitting, three months and I've made so much progress, but it's also tiring in a way.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yea, I ***HATE*** that internal dialog. It was really loud and persistent early on, sometimes I wonder if that was PAWS or something else. I still have it, but i guess is that is no more or less than anyone else, recovering or otherwise. So I am cool with that.

I know what you are asking. I asked it also. All the time in fact. Let me be me and get on with it.

That has happened . I am me, LOL. I go to work, have a family, do all the outdoor type recreation I have time for and can afford.

A program will help you with that. Find one. People who just quit and move on, well that's awesome. I wish I could have done that, but I was addicted to pills and alcohol. I had some work to do. All is well, life goes on. I am here to tell you that it's true, I got on with it, so can you.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I
Old 08-01-2012, 02:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

It,s your journey donenow. Everyone here is an individual. The sample is biased. Samples often are, but there is no trial going on here . I come because I find it really helpful in what I am trying to achieve. Getting better is possible
Old 08-01-2012, 04:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Although as an AA'r we like to present a picture of total freedom in all aspects of our lives when we stop drinking, that only applies to a small number compared to the majority in the program. I in no way subscribe to a "terminally hopless" mentality that so many do. Stopping drinking is only a small part of the problem, and that is where most get discouraged when presented with the fact that there is way more work to do than just that. Just sayin...
Old 08-01-2012, 05:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by donenow View Post
Sorry, that's not my intent at all CarolD. I'm looking for stories from people who quit and never looked back. Unfortunately, as this is a website devoted to people grappling with quitting it's probably not the best place to find it (hence the title 'biased sample').

SR is great, but I want to learn to not rely on anything external to stay a happy non-drinker. Unfortunately I'm not there yet--still looking for stories but don't like my chances.
I have been sober 7 years and never slipped.
Each Journey is unique and you must follow your own path.
My path may be interesting to you as I have achieved exactly what you describe and I have Allen Carr to thank for it.
If things work out for you like they have for me then you will see alcohol for what it is and does(it's poison and does nothing). When you embrace that your well on your way.
I do hope it grabs you and provides you 7 years like I have had. I do not even recognize me from 7 years ago.
Best
Old 08-01-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I wish you luck in your journey to find peace and happieness.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

You're right: people who have truly "never looked back" are not going to be on these forums.

But that's not to say that nobody here is doing well. If I were to venture a guess, I'd bet that most of us who are past the initial rough period are reasonably happy, and are here to try to help others. Which is quite positive, don't you think?
Old 08-01-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Read these: Stories of Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I think that a lot of people post here while they are still struggling.. a lot of people who aren't, don't. So sure, it'll be that type of cross section sometimes. After a year or two I didn't continue to share my success or my story (other than posting on the link above), but I try to provide support to those struggling when I think I can be helpful.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I just wanted to 'be me', but I realized that that outlook was a whole program backing me: the program of not listening to anyone, not really being ready or interested in changing or knowing how that works, believing in this sort of western notion of the complete individual being an emotional, nihilistic mess that yet holds up in the face of things. I think the first step is to start trying new things to shift your frame of reference. I think the first thing I tried was admitting confusion and taking the advice of someone well intentioned, even if his advice was to buy a corny self help book I didn't read. It's like a muscle. You start getting out of yourself and it becomes easier. I think it nearly takes some sort of mirical if you are immersed in alcohol and depression wherein clarity is very difficult.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm sure there are a ton of people out there that quit and never looked back.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

welp, i counted days early on. i was told by a few people with many years of sobriety that that isnt wise as quite a few counters ended up drinking. it took a while, but i learned sobriety and recovery isnt about how many days its been, its about what i learned to live sober during those days and using it today.
yes, i do look back. i dont ever want to forget my past. if i forget it i'lll repeat it. if i regret it i'll get drunk. i was absolutely no good at just throwing it out and stuffing it, so i decided to face it and see causes and conditions for everything. now my past no longer haunts me.

had to look up the word morose. yup, that was my existance when i was drinkin. gloom, dispair and misery. by the grace of God, i dont have that any more.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Zee

Some of us just like it here