Notices

Do alcoholics tend to struggle with other drugs?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do alcoholics tend to struggle with other drugs?

Just wondering if any of you who have ever used other drugs had similar addictive feelings towards them. The reason I ask is not because I plan on doing other drugs or anything (I'm realizing more and more that mind altering substances aren't for me). Its more because in the past I have smoked Marijuana off and on and had a similar (i can't stop once i start) and (ok im not going to buy any more after this) feeling that i have when I'm drinking. The only reason i never got too too hooked on weed was because of its cost. I know that weed isn't physically addictive but i feel like it had a very similar psychological hold on me to that of alcohol. And I'm not even going to get into the nights where I would do so much of both along with large amounts of caffeine...nights i'm lucky to not remember much of...
Old 07-24-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am not sure if you would classify it as a drug but I used to take poppers (amyl nitrate) when I drank heavily, as the head rush was euphoric for me. In sobriety I continued the usage to get a 'rush' but inevitably it reminded me too much of drinking. I think co-addictions are common.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There's certainly some correlation between alcohol and drug abuse.

I've never been addicted to anything else, but I've abused other drugs, mainly stimulants.

You can argue I'm probably addicted to caffeine as well, but who isn't and where's the harm, so...
Old 07-24-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've misused Lortab when I've been prescribed that by a doctor. Thankfully that's the only time I was prescribed the medication. I definately tend to use drugs in an addictive way. Sometimes people have addictive personalities where if something feels good be it food, drugs, alcohol, sex or work or whatever they just have to keep using more and more of it.

Just be careful. Its easy to get cross addicted and have double the trouble.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Nope, I was solely alcohol never even smoked weed
Old 07-24-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I struggle with caffeine and popcorn
Old 07-24-2012, 10:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MINEr

I got addicted to any mind altering substance I used. The main ones being booze, pot, coke, and meth. Alcohol was the one that almost killed me, but I used anything to get out of my head.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It it's mind altering, my alcoholism says please fee my brain more.

I to suspect that medical science is changing it's mind about a physical dependence on marijuana, at least in terms of causing anxiety, digestive issues, depression, etc. to me, creating a chemical imbalance in the brain is a physical affect. At least it subjectively felt like it for me when I quit smoking a half dozen joints a day.

Then again, I am, of course, terminally unique.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I quit both alcohol and weed about the same time.

If you think marijuana isn't addicting, try not smoking it.... you'll find that the recovery process is similar to that of not drinking. similar, not exactly the same.

Yeah, my alcoholISM showed up in other substances, too. Not just alcohol.

Best wishes,
Old 07-25-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was looking for a thread like this. I think there is a strong correlation. If im drunk, it is easy to smoke marijuana or snort coke. It all makes sense. Im struggling with stopping the alcohol intake. If I can beat that, the other two should disapear. But i havent seperated the two different vises in my mind yet.
If i smoke a joint, im not drinking?
Old 07-25-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Though alcohol was my 'drug of choice', I was always looking for other ways to get out of my head. Coke, acid, mushrooms, crack, pot, sleeping pills, energy pills, and so on. I live clean and sober.. the type of 'drug' wasn't the real issue.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My holy trinity was alcohol, pot, and meth. All no liquid drugs led me right back to alcohol. Although I used a lot of drugs, I was always drinking. So, yes it was a struggle for me.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Beer was my addiction. Never cared about anything else.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

In my own experience, yes, my addictive behavior showed up in the other drugs I occasionally used and in the pot that I compulsively smoked. Some was never enough. Once when I was clubbing with some friends, 3 of us went out to a car to do some coke and when I finished I looked up to the other two faces, shocked, "that was for all 3 of us." Oh...oops.

I was addicted to pot for about 5 years. The only reason I stopped smoking was that I got a DUI and had to be clean to take diversion. It didn't take me long to realize what a blessing in disguise that was (although I kept drinking for another decade).

When I was considering stopping drinking, I decided to try pot one more time, it couldn't possibly be as bad for me as my drinking, right? So I got high and it was pretty fun. Before I'd even taken the second hit I'd planned out where I would buy it regularly from, how much I was allowed to have, when I could and couldn't smoke it. And I wanted more to smoke when everyone else was satisfied. Right then and there I realized I can never take any mind-altering substance ever again.

Thanks for the thread and the reminder that life is great, just as it is, no alterations needed!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As you can see by the replies already shared...
Yes...No...Maybe

Me? I gave up all sorts of "recreational" drugs
without addiction being involved.... many years
before I was willing to quit drinking.

no I did not switch addictions instead increased my drinking
to the point of mental disruption..

When prescribed certain meds I take them as directed
This has not lead me back to addiction.

Also...I've been an AA recovered alcoholic for years and expect
to continue to live without addiction...
Old 07-25-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I guess the big question is can you stop drinking and still enjoy recreational drugs the odd time? Monthly? Weekly? Does that mean im addicted? Does that mean im switching my alcohol addiction to a drug crutch? It seems like a slippery slope, yet im not sure weather im quitting every thing yet.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Some do, some don't. I think what matters is, what are YOUR struggles and how you deal with them.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Benzo's.. they helped me get to work.
Not a good combination... beer and benzo's.
You tend to "forget"things..
Old 07-25-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

It took me only a week to become a daily smoker of marijuana, which I quit several decades ago. I did not drink in the years I was a daily marijuana smoker.

In contrast, it took me more than ten years to become a daily drinker of alcohol, which I only just quit a few weeks ago.

Alcohol sneaked up upon me very gradually, whereas marijuana took control of me immediately. At this point, I need to stay away from both.

Mel
Old 07-25-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

No doubt there's a correlation between drug and alcohol use...some of it will depend on individual discomfort with doing "illegal" drugs, availability, social norms and so on.

When I was much younger, like in the 1970s, I smoked pot on a daily basis and rarely drank...but man, I needed my weed. I have also used various types of speed extensively, tons of acid, PCP, mushrooms, meth, coke, heroin...

Funnily enough I was able to put the brakes on the illegal drugs before I habituated to them, despite years of "dabbling" and using and not really caring much about consequences. The two legal drugs, alcohol and nicotine? Whole 'nother story and I am a hardcore alcohol/nicotine addict.

I definitely got to a point where I deliberately stopped using illegal drugs and started drinking regularly. Because drinking is, you know, socially accepted and legal.