Notices

Blessing in disguise?

Old 07-06-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blessing in disguise?

Two weeks ago, in a complete and total alcoholic fog from drinking way too much over way too many days, I decided to go for a short hike in a park near near my house. I was seriously considering leaving my marriage (trying to cope by drinking wasn't helping at all), my work productivity had taken a dive, and in short, I was just miserable and depressed. I wanted to take a walk to get away from my house, husband, everything. I knew I needed to make some serious changes in my life but also knew drinking wasn't helping me in any way to make rational decisions.

I had not had anything to drink so far that day. So, in my fog and deep in thought, I hiked about a mile into the woods on a dirt trail. Not paying attention, I tripped over an exposed tree root, fell on either another tree root or a rock (I really don't know), and broke my thigh bone. Thankfully, a man was hiking behind me about 40 yards and was right there in no time to call 911 for me. He stayed with me the whole time while the EMTs hiked in the woods, reset my leg and got me to the hospital. They performed surgery that night. Yeah, loads of fun.

Anyway...long story, short. I haven't had anything to drink since that day. I'm stuck at home, watching HGTV, and having to rely on my husband for everything. AND, he's doing a really good job of taking care of me which makes me more positive about my marriage. Even though I'm taking some serious pain meds, I know my thought processes are so much more clear even after just 2 weeks of not drinking. I really like this feeling and pray I can stay clean from now on. Oh, and my skin is really clearing up - no more red blotchy yuk face. And the whites of my eyes? Wow - they are clearing up, too!

I don't know where I'm going with this post - I just wanted to share. My leg hurts, hurts, hurts, but maybe that's what it took for me to stop drinking. If so, I'll take this broken leg and my clear head over drinking any day.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by oakwood View Post
I don't know where I'm going with this post - I just wanted to share. My leg hurts, hurts, hurts, but maybe that's what it took for me to stop drinking. If so, I'll take this broken leg and my clear head over drinking any day.
Yeah, I can totally relate.

Awesome share. I hope a speedy recovery, on so many levels, for you, and best also to your loving husband.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is pretty cool oakwood...Prayers sent you get well and stay well!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

All recovery is painful.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

Good job for 2 weeks!
I would make it 3 or 4 weeks and then always relapse. I needed a plan of action and I found that in AA.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love when crappy experiences end up being blessings in disguise
Old 07-07-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

ouch....hope your leg heals quickly...

All my best to you and your husband as you find your sobriety
Old 07-25-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just wanted to pop in and say I'm hanging in there - just over 30 days now. So, yeah, I've done my best to take full advantage of my total helplessness that required such dependence on my husband due to my broken leg. No way in H@@@ I could ask him to go to the store for me!

Anyway, I feel good. I really haven't even wanted anything to drink to tell you the truth. I don't why - weird, but I'll gladly take it. Could quitting really be just like that? Just decide not to anymore?

I'm back to work, driving, and generally living my life (hobbling around, of course). I feel good but still I'm scared that I'm going to be tested at some point. Or will I? What's that pink cloud stuff about? Self-doubt popping up....

I've been lurking over at the F&F forum. Tough stuff going on over there - God, my husband deserves someone better than what he's had the last couple of years...
Old 07-25-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your 30 days ...

As to the rest....I suggest you hold up your head and go on
the idea that Yes! you too can continue to win...
Old 07-25-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Maybe that incident was your moment of clarity oakwood. The deep introspection that can come with such things is often enough to cause some of us to change course. You seem to have gained a lot of insight and yes reading friends and family is a real wake up call for many. The life of an active alcoholic is not something I would wish on my worst enemy.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
Maybe that incident was your moment of clarity oakwood. The deep introspection that can come with such things is often enough to cause some of us to change course. You seem to have gained a lot of insight and yes reading friends and family is a real wake up call for many. The life of an active alcoholic is not something I would wish on my worst enemy.
Thank you for saying that.

I'm not a religious person by any means, haven't ever really been to church or anything. But I swear, that was, indeed, an "experience." At that moment I knew that was, somehow, my punishment for not holding up my end of the bargain. And, I knew that I was being told I was heading for much worse if I didn't stop.

I really can't explain it as it's hard for me to accept such a thing is possible.