Notices

Tough Love or Positive Affirmations?

Old 07-13-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Zee

Its so hard, this topic, but I want to quote what my favourite comedian, Ricky Gervais said in an interview after he hosted one of the Golden Globes.

"Offence, is never given, its taken. If you're not offended by something, then there was no offence"

Simple and to the point IMO

Tough love can be taken as an offence sometimes, but usually done out of love and concern.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by bloss View Post
Just wondering what type of help has moved us along the way to lasting sobriety?

The tough love type of help or a more positive affirming type?
I found, sometimes I just needed a hug, but, other times I needed someone to be more blunt, direct, tell me what maybe I didn't want to hear? On the whole the blunt, direct approach probably was the most help for me. I needed it and was thankful after the fact.

I'm not talking about a particular program of recovery, just the method of delivery.
Interesting question. What moved me along to wanting recovery was a kind of tough love I guess. I was banned from everone's life. no friends, no money, no job, no possessions other than what I stood up in, even my family could have nothing to do with me. It was about three months after my last friend had banned me from his house that the reality of my disease came home to me and, having lost everything, I was willing to seek help. No tough love was required or offered after this point. I willingly followed some simple suggestions and recovered - ie the obsession was removed and I have not needed to drink since.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

Aside from going to AA and working the steps, I needed a Dr. Phil type sponsor, and I got her! I needed someone to help me get out of my head and get back into the will of my Higher Power.