Old 07-09-2012, 10:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Floyd is my Totem Muppet

D
Old 07-09-2012, 10:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey MetalChick,
I will send (PM) you some links for free online AVRT classes. I did the two free ones and they helped me immensely. I understand being on a budget. See how it feels to you. It really helped me in the beginning, but remember there are always other techniques and ways to recover.
Good luck.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Someguy,

There is a lot of cid, dxm, special k, and doc going on with my friends. I was stupid enough to think that I could just to do something other than booze for a night, and was thinking I was doing well not drinking. I was really really wrong! When you act the fool and post lame stuff and spend hours looking for your dog that was in the house the whole time, you feel pretty lame. It is not funny or fun anymore. I do have cid left in my house, but I am going to give it away. I am not sure why the bad trip, except that after I committed to being sober, my mind knew the stupidity of being f- uped. That shipped has sailed.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

MetalChick-

I am an AAer but I find AVRT makes a lot of sense to me, and I have been studying it, to the dismay of some of my hardcore AA friends. I find this amusing because it says right in the AA book, "we have no monopoly on sobriety". For my part, I support sobriety however you get there, and lord knows SR has been instrumental in that regard.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MetalChick View Post
Dee,

Thank you. Sometimes I feel like 2 people. One that has so much going for me; a person that loves life, is proud, and has so much to give, and the other one that gives up, hates herself, and lives in a dark place just wanting to be numb.
ahhhh sweetheart...I have that evil twin too. Glad you are back and Im really sorry about what happened.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

MetalChick, here is some stuff for you. I cut and pasted from some recent posts of mine for you.

Notice when it gets down to the basic problem, there seems to be two of you in this conversation.
This is the way I came to understand addiction. Drinking was not a problem for me until I understood I was drinking too much and wanted to stop. Addiction means that you are of two minds - one that wants to drink for the pleasure and relief it brings, and the other mind that knows too well that this has to stop. The addict goes back and forth from sober to drunk, excited to drink again, and then ashamed and guilty for having done it all again.

It was when this 'two mind' idea occurred to me that I decided I could stop drinking and I knew how I was going to do it. I could strengthen the voice that says to stop, and weaken and ignore the voice that says to continue drinking.

ReadyandAble gave this voice a name that is often used, the Addictive Voice. The fact that you recognize this as not being you, or at least, as part of you that should be ignored, is a great sign.

If you want to know more about this, then take a look in another SR forum called Secular Connections, and look for threads with 'AVRT' or Addictive Voice Recognition Technique in the title. This can be a very powerful way to look at your drinking with a view of becoming securely and permanently abstinent. It did the trick for me.

Hope these ideas interest you, MetalChick. Best to you.