Notices

Facebook

Old 06-15-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
~sb

Most of my family members still don't talk to me. That's my 2 brothers, wives, nieces and their husbands and their very young children I've never met. We are not friends on fb. One day, my higher power may get us together again. Yeah, it can be (very) painful, yet today I am open to whatever comes along.

Everyone's journey is different. I've cried enough, pitied myself enough, and now I just make other plans. I had a request today to help with the intergroup phones on Sunday. Not a problem. Come to think about it, I worked on Mother's day, too. And New Year's day when I left and I stepped off the curb & kissed the sidewalk and messed up my knee(s). Hmmm, I see a pattern.
Point is, I don't have to have a drink today. I have to keep living and moving forward. Something wants me alive. I am just someone not creating problems for me or others (at least not blatantly) today and I choose not to drink and drug today. A new perspective.

I feel your pain. I still feel my own, today, so that is when I get busy doing something for someone else.

I'll call my dad Sunday, they'll be at my brother's. Yeah, my brother who won't allow me contact with my son who is living with him. One day we will begin our relationship again. I hope so.

My life is not peaches and cream. I do make the best of it and of my attitude today.

love & hugs,
Old 06-15-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Ironically I just de-activated my Facebook today. The reason why is simple: all my old drinking companions are on there and I was everyone's favorite drinking buddy. In fact I also changed my phone number so I won't get any text or calls asking me to come out. Finally, FB reminded me of a life I wanted to leave behind. A wasted life of slow death with no real experiences or peace of mind.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justsam View Post
Ironically I just de-activated my Facebook today. The reason why is simple: all my old drinking companions are on there and I was everyone's favorite drinking buddy. In fact I also changed my phone number so I won't get any text or calls asking me to come out. Finally, FB reminded me of a life I wanted to leave behind. A wasted life of slow death with no real experiences or peace of mind.
mine is done ----i am trying to enjoy life and not be messed with --I have messed EVERYTHING up with my drinking---
Old 06-15-2012, 10:52 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
mine is done ----i am trying to enjoy life and not be messed with --I have messed EVERYTHING up with my drinking---
I'm glad to be done with it. It's symbolic of me letting go of my old life which was essentially a long stretch of wasted years. Maybe when I make new friends I will make a new account one day but I have zero interest in having anyone who was a part of my old alcoholic life being a part of my new real life. It's difficult for you because your family is not supportive; it's the opposite for me. No one in my family drinks except for me; my drinking caused real friction in the family while it seems the opposite for you. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

In a nut shell I was told to not go by my dads house for Fathers Day because he would be in and out, super busy...etc... Thanks to the wonders of Facebook that isnt the case. He will be celebrating with my younger sibling and a few others...basically Im not invited nor wanted. This isnt my perception or what I think. It is what it is.
Was there some scene when you were drinking or something? Why are they excluding you?
Old 06-16-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

OklaBH, feel ya on the family thing. Mine is very passive-aggressive, so they'll never say directly what's wrong -- "problem? what problem?" -- but they'll do things like exclude me without saying why. When I ask, they act like I should have known, and I am the insensitive one who didn't make the effort to come, etc. WTF? These days I mostly just ignore them and live my own life. Best strategy is to make it as good as possible.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Twitters worse Unfollowed so many because of the relentless I am going to get wasted tonight dull BS.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SSIL75 View Post
Was there some scene when you were drinking or something? Why are they excluding you?

Several scenes is more accurate...cant say i blame them
Old 06-16-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Several scenes is more accurate...cant say i blame them
I guess stick to the new expectations you have of yourself and you can't go wrong.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Life is so much less complicated without FB.
And if someone ever has something really important to say to you... they can phone or mail.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by penny74 View Post
Life is so much less complicated without FB.
And if someone ever has something really important to say to you... they can phone or mail.

Exactly....I told myself I was keeping mine to see my kids pages and keep up with my aunt in Canada. I got pulled into the drama and became jealous A LOT. Like you say Penny they know my number
Old 06-16-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Interesting thread. I gave up facebook altogether because for me, it is a black hole of wasted time. I found myself feeling like crap whenever I looked at the many stepford posts, whether they were genuine or not. I isolated enough when I was drinking and having fb just became unhealthy. I'm trying to pick up the phone and TALK to people now and have eye contact whenever possible. lol I absolutely love SR and post and read here whenever possible. Other than that, social media isn't my cup of tea.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Facebook has also become a negative source of energy for me lately. I also developed an an awful habit of "snooping" on profiles. I have found out information this way that does NOTHING but hurt me, yet I feel compelled to do it. I just keep wishing they would learn how to make their profile private, but I know it's up to me to stop looking. In fact, my recent relapse was caused directly by finding something out on there that upset me tremendously. Something I was way better off not knowing.
Anyway, I agree, I think I am way better off without it right now!
Old 06-17-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I got sober in March 2011 & deleted my FB account in August. Just 2 good things I have done for myself in the past year +.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
Facebook has also become a negative source of energy for me lately. I also developed an an awful habit of "snooping" on profiles. I have found out information this way that does NOTHING but hurt me, yet I feel compelled to do it. I just keep wishing they would learn how to make their profile private, but I know it's up to me to stop looking. In fact, my recent relapse was caused directly by finding something out on there that upset me tremendously. Something I was way better off not knowing.
Anyway, I agree, I think I am way better off without it right now!

I agree a guy at AA said to me one day "what people think of you is none of your business" I thought that was the most absurd thing in the world to say but its true. Looking @ Facebook and coming across being left out of yet another family function was extremely upsetting. I had to delete my account and move on. What they do is none of my business. One thing about being an alkie I have realized that I am ULTRA sensitive. Things that most people dont think twice about REALLY rattle my cage. Its getting better though.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I try not to go into Fb too much unless I have to email my sister. Honestly I catch myself wondering around the old grounds. Females and music kick my asa I should cancel my profile. Too many old memories. I don't have the luxury to think like an 18 year old anymore