Notices

Facebook

Old 06-14-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Facebook

I dont know if Im just extra touchy this week or what. But, while in recovery (which is a long long road) does anyone get annoyed and kinda sad when they check facebook? I want to delete mine all together but I enjoy looking at my kids pages. Like everything else with this journey I cant cut corners.

I read the big book, goto meetings, read on SR, work on my inventory (which I REALLY need to get back to) Then I look at Facebook and read ground breaking news like "the pools warm and drinks are cold" ..."george clooney is in OKC for the thunder game"...

Im just a moody you know what this week geez.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

A reminder to all members....please do not post your FB link
on our discussion boards. Use PM if you want others to join
you on your FB account.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Luckily a lot of my friends are members of AA AND they keep this fact on the down low pretty much.

It does bug me to see pictures of people enjoying alcohol. I know that it is just not possible for me though.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hi oklaBH
There is much written on the impact FB can have on one's moods, in recovery or not. Google it and see what I mean. If it bothers you right now, just disable it. You can always return later if you want to, or not. Best to you
Old 06-14-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

B...
Mega you are doing what you know is the best thing for
yourself and your family. Keep that in the front of your mind
and continue your recovery journey.

Forward we go...side by side
Old 06-14-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Hi oklaBH
There is much written on the impact FB can have on one's moods, in recovery or not. Google it and see what I mean. If it bothers you right now, just disable it. You can always return later if you want to, or not. Best to you
Thank you-i will. That is very interesting
Old 06-14-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
B...
Mega you are doing what you know is the best thing for
yourself and your family. Keep that in the front of your mind
and continue your recovery journey.

Forward we go...side by side
You are great carol! Thank you!
Old 06-14-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't know how many days sober you have OklaBH....But one of the things they told me early on is it will be a roller coaster ride for awhile...After my first couple months I saw what they meant...My emotions were all over the map....It described it perfectly for me....Just hang on...Don't drink no matter what....And keep going....Read The Doctors Opinion...Study those first 43 pages...Pages 1 -23 cover the physical craving and and 23 - 43 cover the mental obsession....Get that down pat...That is step one....That's the one you want to do 100% right. I started to even out as days went on...But it's going to be up and down for awhile. That's pretty normal...We have a lot of undoing to do.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

FB makes everyone's lives look like they are living one big sunshiney happy existence. It's not real. Sure people will post the pictures of them drinking early in the night, but no way are they going to post the pictures of them puking or feeling sluggish the next morning. Heck, I look like some kind of super model on my FB. Funny you should mention George Clooney. I just read an article where he is being interviewed and he talks about his struggles with alcohol. He said he drinks way too much and it depresses him. Seriously, don't let things like that get you down. Things are really not how they appear to be a lot of the time.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
A reminder to all members....please do not post your FB link
on our discussion boards. Use PM if you want others to join
you on your FB account.

People do that here? I love the anonymity of this forum. Why ruin it?
Old 06-14-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I stopped checking FB months ago. I would get depressed and remorseful for making a mess of my life after seeing how great everyone else is doing. I hate seeing people's vacation pics or updates on the new house they bought. It not that I am jealous of them so much that I feel inadequate because I have nothing worth posting about. I guess it all boils down to my fear of being a failure. Damn internet haha
Old 06-14-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Same here weekend drinks with friends, pregnancies, engagements and marriages. Make me feel like crap why I do it to myself I dont know.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Richard Cory

Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
'Good-morning,' and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich - yes, richer than a king -
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine, we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.

~Edwin Arlington Robinson

This was published in 1897. No Face Book, but people, alcoholics and non-alcoholics have always focused on other people's lives assuming that everybody has it better than we do.

Keep your eye on the ball and work on making the lives of those around you better and you will be amazed at just how yours will improve. Humility as they say, isn't thinking less of yourself, but rather thinking more about others.

Best wishes,
Jon
Old 06-14-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Facebook is a narcissist's dream. Posting pictures and whatnot. Chicken and asparagus. Cardio galore! No drugs involved though..........yuk, yuk!!!!
Old 06-14-2012, 09:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Facebook has done wonders for me and the recovery community by bringing a message of hope to places it might not have been previously. I am forever grateful for all the friends in recovery Facebook has allowed me to make...what's really neat is when I get to meet them in person!
Old 06-15-2012, 03:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! Once I get more sober time and more meetings under my belt I hope my armor will be stronger! LOL This week every little thing has bugged me.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Maybe you're hyperfocusing on the alcohol? I would do that. If only 1% of the status updates mentioned booze... those were the ones I read!
Old 06-15-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I recently went through my own facebook and removed anyone who caused any triggers or negative thoughts. I now have strictly only family members, very close friends (like 5 of them) and the rest are AA's. I also have my profile set so that only friends may see it, and only people who know me by name by look me up. I use facebook to connect with other AA's. As long as you're careful about your privacy settings and what you post it can be a great way to stay in touch.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I had the same issue. I would go on facebook and see pictures of people drinking, or read posts talking about getting drunk this weekend, or whatever it was...it involved alcohol and I was reading and seeing it and was completely bothered by the whole thing. I ended up deleting a lot of my drinking friends because I just couldn't stand seeing/reading about all of the drinking nights that I wasn't a part of anymore.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

For me its not so much the drinking as knowing my family and close friends purposely leave me out of so many things /events.I've done it to myself so its time to move on and enjoy my new sober life.