Notices

Triggers To Relapse------

Old 06-13-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Triggers To Relapse------

I had a heck of a day because of cravings. I had to see about a job in my old neighborhood & was forced to drive past one of my favorite bars. The type that opens at 7am & serves you drunk as long as you have money. I was driving & thought I would show the guys in there my new car. I was going to have "a few" but then realized I would not be able to drive because of the alcohol machine. So I headed home & had to divert from the expressway because of a bad accident & ended up in an old drug neighborhood of mine on the West side of Chicago. Very tempted to buy a bag of dope but did not. I was getting physically sick but excited from just the thought of getting high. Pretty scary day but am grateful I made it & will be going to a meeting tonite.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's great that you didn't pick up! Just think of all of the guilt, and disappointment you would have had to go through if you did cave into your urge. Good for you! Keep it up!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by Pock89 View Post
That's great that you didn't pick up! Just think of all of the guilt, and disappointment you would have had to go through if you did cave into your urge. Good for you! Keep it up!
I recently had a minor slip so the cravings are back. But it's still easier for me to be sober than drinking. Hope that made sense.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Triggers are for guns and horses. I could always point to some trigger when I was drinking. Today they are all still there but I see them for what they are - excuses.

The reason I like to say "I have recovered" is because I have gotten alcohol out of my life and out of my mind. There are no triggers, temptations or delusions there to make it even necessary for me to choose to drink or not drink.

Not drinking has nothing to do with why I am sober today.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I'm not sure Boleo, the bar door was open & I thought it was calling my name. I hear some folks get triggered by actually attending AA meetings but I don't understand that??
Old 06-13-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job JF1. Glad you stayed the course, let's keep going.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I'm not sure Boleo, the bar door was open & I thought it was calling my name. I hear some folks get triggered by actually attending AA meetings but I don't understand that??
"After a time he (the alcoholic) cannot differentiate the true from the false. His alcoholic life seems the only normal one."

Does " I drank because I went to an AA meeting" have the ring of truth about it? or does it sound like the product of a delusional mind? Would that statement have any more credibility than "I drank because I can't leap tall builings in a single bound"?
Once recovered I saw that I drank because I am an alcoholic and that's what we do. Triggers were just excuses and I could rationalise everything about my life into an excuse for drinking if I needed to.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I understand what you guys are saying but I still believe certain things can trigger the memory of a fun drinking experience. For example, I remembered the night of playing the jukebox & socializing with the neighborhood drunks. Generally, having a good time. However, I suppose I forget the night I got into a fist fight at the bar & had to go to the hospital. Or the night they found me passed out in the alley behind the bar with my wallet missing. It's amazing our our minds function.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

My mind is REALLY good at helping me remember the "fun" times with alcohol while totally blotting out the bad ones. That's because it still wants to drink. At least I recognize that now. I have a trigger that I pass by several times a day ... the convenience/liquor store across the highway from our house. I stopped there every day ... sometimes several times a day ... to buy my booze. I still go in there to get sodas/snacks for the kids because it's convenient, but the "old" me still wants to ask for those airline bottles of Jack Daniels when I get up to the counter. There was something comforting about doing that ... it was part of my daily routine that was familiar and reliable. But now when I go in there and just buy stuff for the kids, I have a wonderful feeling in my heart when I walk out the door WITHOUT the booze. It's liberating.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Loved Boleo's post and completely agree, that is my experience too. And thank goodness! I have been freed from the desire to drink/use, and for an alcoholic/addict like me that is a miracle.

Justfor1, following your story my to the point question is where are you with the steps?

If you're willing to go to any lengths for freedom from the mental obsession, they are what I know works when all else fails.

Check out the 10th step promises on pages 84-85 in the Big Book.

Some of the gifts that were beyond anything I thought I could have hoped for when I got sober/clean:

"And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone--even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality--safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition."
I wish all of that and so much more for you. What wouldn't you be willing to do for gifts like those?

Sending enormous hugs and best wishes on your journey.

* BB quotes 1st ed.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Steppingitup, what step do you happen to be on? Do you have a sponser?
Old 06-13-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hear some folks get triggered by actually attending AA meetings but I don't understand that??
I had that a couple of times.

I would try not to think about alcohol or alcoholism (or recovery even) for months and just try to forget about it.
Then eventually when the cravings got too bad I would go to AA and all the talk about alcohol would be so confronting that I'd want to run away and get drunk... I guess it had to do with my denial.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am glad you didn't drink or use!

We CAN do this. I have enough white chips to make a belt or something. Today is day 36.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I recently had a minor slip so the cravings are back. But it's still easier for me to be sober than drinking. Hope that made sense.
I always tell people that it is easier to STAY sober than to GET sober. So yes, your quote makes sense to me.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That's why I told myself no alcohol no matter what. I know stress and problems will come along. I took away the alcohol. It's just not part of the equation. That is what works for me. If I start to have those thoughts, I just nip it in the bud. No. And go into a mode of ok, so what will I do then? Usually something to stay busy for awhile. Clean, grocery shop, cook, anything to be productive. Then it passes. As someone else said there are no triggers. There is no alcohol. An upsetting situation may trigger me into some sort of action. Not into alcohol.That is not an option. It's a good thing for me.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinkdog View Post
That's why I told myself no alcohol no matter what. I know stress and problems will come along. I took away the alcohol. It's just not part of the equation. That is what works for me. If I start to have those thoughts, I just nip it in the bud. No. And go into a mode of ok, so what will I do then? Usually something to stay busy for awhile. Clean, grocery shop, cook, anything to be productive. Then it passes. As someone else said there are no triggers. There is no alcohol. An upsetting situation may trigger me into some sort of action. Not into alcohol.That is not an option. It's a good thing for me.
Love it! Thank you!
Old 06-13-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i didnt have triggers when i 1st got into recovery. i had the craving, compulsion, and mental obsession to drink still with me.

glad to see ya had the fear of what would happen if ya got high/drunk.
scared the crap outta me when my car would want to turn into bars on the way to meeitngs
early on in recovery. it got better though.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
I am glad you didn't drink or use!

We CAN do this. I have enough white chips to make a belt or something. Today is day 36.
I have enough white surrender chips to play poker. Having a relapse is never good but I'm glad I'm not back to the everyday 24/7 drinking that it can lead to. Then I become completely useless & don't do anything but guzzle cheap booze. It becomes a horrible routine.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by SteppingItUp View Post

Check out the 10th step promises on pages 84-85 in the Big Book.

Some of the gifts that were beyond anything I thought I could have hoped for when I got sober/clean:
That's what I was talking about. I feel like I "have been placed in a position of neutrality". I don't think about drinking or not drinking. The problem "does not exist".
Old 06-13-2012, 09:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Steppingitup, what step do you happen to be on? Do you have a sponser?
I'm willing to guess that this member has had a spiritual awakening as the result of taking all 12 steps. That's the only way I know to experience those promises.

and Boleo said:

"That's what I was talking about. I feel like I "have been placed in a position of neutrality". I don't think about drinking or not drinking. The problem "does not exist".

This is my experience too.